Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After breaking the screen on my archos 5IMT 160gb i decided i would make the "smart choice" and upgrade to the 48 500gb. It's everything i loved about my IMT but with android support and a much larger hard drive. Well, turns out it wasn't quite as exciting as i thought. I've had it plugged in for a couple hours now and it's at about 6% battery so far... the only way i can get it to turn on is by pressing the manual reset switch, and the few things i've uploaded to it so far won't play because the great codecs that archos bragged about with this model aren't supported unless you "register your product," which is pointless because media club is now down, so it can't get the updates anyway... And, after downloading applib and trying to install it before and after a firmware update with no success, i'm very discouraged. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You need to register the product. I don't know what media club is as I've never used it but registering unlocks some features as well as updating the codecs (at least the free ones at any rate).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You can't register from the product anymore because Media Club doesn't work anymore, so i registered on my computer and it didn't do anything to the IT at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You keep mentioning media club but this is irrelevant to registering the product. Just to be sure - can you check what the device itself says about its status by checking settings/about device. Check the registration status and also what plugins it has listed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, you're right, my mistake... I registered online and had to download and install the update package, it now reads that i'm registered and have the package installed. I haven't tried to install applib again yet, but i seem to be having a serious battery problem already. Since unpackaging it has been plugged in for over 24 hours, and yet the battery status is not even at 90% and when i unplug it the battery status reads "discharging" and immediately starts to drop. usually about 12% in the first ten seconds, then it continues to drop at a slower pace until i plug it back in. Do i need to charge it for like a week or do i have a faulty battery?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't have the '48' but lots here have reported the same thing. Thread searches seem to be a bit trickier with this newer forum format but try searching anyway.

From memory, most problems seemed to stem from not charging properly when first getting the device. When it drops below something like 5 % it takes quite some time to recover.

I think you'll be right once you've gone through a few charge cycles but try not to let it drop below around 20% (never good for lithium batts anyway).

Also, have a look at the market hack thread - can need some patience to get running but then you get full market access (at least for those apps still allowed for 1.6 donut) and not just apps lib.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I called tech support this morning and they said the battery is most likely defective, because even the first charge should only take a maximum of 9 hours. I'm sending it back and hopefully my new one will be a bit less buggy. I greatly appreciate the help Agj_h, Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Zfoster8 wrote:
After breaking the screen on my archos 5IMT 160gb i decided i would make the "smart choice" and upgrade to the 48 500gb. It's everything i loved about my IMT but with android support and a much larger hard drive. Well, turns out it wasn't quite as exciting as i thought. I've had it plugged in for a couple hours now and it's at about 6% battery so far... the only way i can get it to turn on is by pressing the manual reset switch, and the few things i've uploaded to it so far won't play because the great codecs that archos bragged about with this model aren't supported unless you "register your product," which is pointless because media club is now down, so it can't get the updates anyway... And, after downloading applib and trying to install it before and after a firmware update with no success, i'm very discouraged. :(
Several points:

1) First, if you're charging via 500mA USB, it will take FOREVER to charge. If you're on a "bus-powered hub" you won't even be getting the full 500mA current, so it's worse. You really need a fast charger... something in the 2000mA range is ideal. You might want to look into a Gomadic device (I don't work for them, I just own their stuff) or one of the Archos "dock" solutions. Going by USB charging is seldom a good solution. (Archos REALLY should have shipped this device with the basic dock, shouldn't they?)

2) Getting the codecs isn't impossible... but you have to do it via the Archos website. I just re-downloaded the AOS files for everything for both of my devices a few days ago. Register on the website, rather than by using the device itself to register.

3) As far as the Appslib... I dunno, it works fine for me. I've actually got three "software sources" on my A5IT... Appslib, Amazon, and Google Android Marketplace. (Getting Marketplace up and running is a challenge, but it's worth it.)

Everything on Appslib works perfectly with my device, of course. Also, I've had no bad luck with anything from Marketplace. But two items bought on Amazon turned out to be incompatible, and Amazon has no "requirements" listing for any of their software, so I discourage using them as a source. ("Incompatible" as in "requiring a later version of Android," I mean.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Zfoster8 wrote:
You can't register from the product anymore because Media Club doesn't work anymore, so i registered on my computer and it didn't do anything to the IT at all.
It won't happen "automagically."

Once you register, go to your "device support" page on the Archos website. There, you can download the file (typically as an *.AOS file) which you move onto the root of the device hard drive (via mounting the device on your computer). The next boot-up, the device will see the AOS file and "update" based upon that file.

Alternatively, you CAN do it online, right from the device, but I don't ever trust internet connections enough to risk "bricking" an device (due to an interruption in an internet connection) by doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I already received and installed the codec update, and got applib up and running. I had to format the device and reload the firmware, but it worked in the end.

My battery problem isn't so much a charging issue as much as a battery issue. It takes forever to charge, and as soon as i unplug it it instantly drops percentage and a "full" battery lasts maybe a couple hours. I'm charging it with a wall plug, not by computer usb, which makes it a little bit faster, but it's still having problems. I even tried charging with the dock cord for my old IMT and it made no difference except that it said "charging AC" instead of "charging USB."

If it was just a matter of taking a long time to charge i wouldn't even consider sending it back, that would be ridiculous, because the next one would take just as long.

The customer support blows anyway, and won't get back to me, so maybe i'll just try running a few battery cycles and see if that makes it any better. If they won't take it back i may as well put it to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Zfoster8 wrote:
I already received and installed the codec update, and got applib up and running. I had to format the device and reload the firmware, but it worked in the end.

My battery problem isn't so much a charging issue as much as a battery issue. It takes forever to charge, and as soon as i unplug it it instantly drops percentage and a "full" battery lasts maybe a couple hours. I'm charging it with a wall plug, not by computer usb, which makes it a little bit faster, but it's still having problems. I even tried charging with the dock cord for my old IMT and it made no difference except that it said "charging AC" instead of "charging USB."

If it was just a matter of taking a long time to charge i wouldn't even consider sending it back, that would be ridiculous, because the next one would take just as long.

The customer support blows anyway, and won't get back to me, so maybe i'll just try running a few battery cycles and see if that makes it any better. If they won't take it back i may as well put it to use.
It sounds like the unit you've got has been used... and that the battery is at "end of life." Was this in an original, factory-sealed package from Archos?

In any case, if this is a problem... and it sounds like it is... you should search this forum for a thread on the best available battery replacement for the A5IT. I've put a new battery into both of my Archos devices (the A5IMT and the A5IT). I also put, with some assistance from a fellow who frequents this board, a replacement hard drive into my A5IMT. (Now that I've got a working drive in there, I can install a patched firmware that will let me install other replacement drives in the future, but the first time, it needs to match up with the "hard-coded" drive ID info, which means spoofing that info in the drive.)

If you're technically savvy, have decent "fine" tools, and know how to solder, replacing the battery isn't too tough. I struggled a bit with both of my devices... but that struggle was mainly involving getting the case apart (NOT as easy as it sounded!)

Everything you need to know can be found through this forum... this is where I found what I needed to know, after all!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I purchased the tablet brand new from archos, sealed in box. I'm not so good at soldering, and i definitely know how hard it is to disassemble one of these... I have an old 5IMT that the screen broke on and i tried to take it apart to see what i could do about fixing or replacing the screen.. after about an hour I got the two side pieces off, and that's as far as i got before i gave up because i didn't want to break it any more.. Haha

Thank you for the reply though, and if i end up needing to replace a drive i'll shoot you a message and maybe you could walk me through it.