Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
I have 16GB archos IT running firmware 2.0.45 that i don't use anymore. I was away from this forum from some time now..when they stopped releasing firmwares. Do you guys still use it.?
anyone found a way to android 2.2 or 2.3 on this?? I have the youtube app but most of the videos does not play correctly.

is there anything new with this product or is it totally dead?

Last edited by tony333 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've still got mine running, though I only really use it as my media player, since its battery lasts far longer than my smartphone and has native support for FLAC too.

I would love to be able to get a custom ROM for Gingerbread or something on it though. Too bad no one seems to develop or mod for this old device now :(

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

To get more readers, you might want to change the thread title to 5IT. The 5IMT is a completely different animal (not Android).

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Still use it? Heck, I just got mine a month ago. I was still using my 5IMT, but I lost an audio channel and so needed to replace it. I found a deal on eBay for a 5IT with case and battery dock for $140 use. I couldn't pass it up. I just love the size and versitility.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

do i! i couldn't live without it! if something happened to it, i would go and buy the same again. most of my music is already converted to flac, and there's no way i'm going back to mp3s.

of course, you can hardly install any new apps on it, even the simplest ones need 2.1 or 2.2 nowadays. but still, osmand offline maps for example can be very useful. it's a great device, but i wouldn't be surprised if archos stopped making tablets with hdds. too heavy, too chunky for a 5" display. i just call mine "the brick".

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I still use both my 16 and 32 GB versions with Donut & GPS. They both work fine and I still enjoy using them especially with the ADW EX launcher with the "Iphonish" theme. Fast, smooth and slick looking. I've got the 7ht v2 with Birdie's Froyo and a new 70b with Honey and the fact that the 5it is stuck with Donut to me is really not that big of a deal. (Btw, install FREEdi Youtube Downloader and you can watch and download all the Youtube you want.) They still perform great and it would take a lot for me to even consider letting these go. IMHO, the 5it is one of the best units (for what they do) Archos ever made. Even though they may be dead to Archos, they still sing to me!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I use my 5IT EVERY DAY as mobile audio player. I love this device! 8)
Because of limited battery life, I will buy the 48 during next weeks.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I must've jinxed it by posting in this thread or something, but mine just died. A friend of mine (don't even know who :\) sat on it today. Screen is all cracked now and I can't even do anything with it since it's a pressure screen not capacitive >_>

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well - after going to the effort of replacing the hard drive twice now I'm seriously starting to think about updating mine.

Had it for over two years now and noticed lately the battery life is decreasing markedly - fair enough, I cant complain at the longevity although the earlier models that had the replaceable batteries had the right idea (but not for Archos's bottom line obviously).

Really tossing up now between gen9 8inch (non hard drive this time after experience above - and besides with larger sd cards and ability to use usb stick with the usb port can still get plenty of flash storage) or something else.

Little bit scared off by some of the issues cropping with with the gen 9's though......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got mine (500 gb) 3 ms ago from a friend who never used it.
and I luv it
Pretty much use it every day for (keeping/transfering large archive files back and forth to work) but always afraid I'm gonna drop it since I started to use it as my main media player and book reader.
I intended to get an ssd 5 it and an IC tab but since my 500gb stopped connecting to computers i'm a little wary.
Still can't figure out how to get my comp to "see" it. ????
I'm still looking out for a used 5it though (through C-list in La,Ca)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:27 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yep i do every day...32GB Flash .i tried others and nothing comes close to its due screen file manager...where you can manage your files we ease especially if you like to make your own mp3 collections.

Just wish they would bring out a revision of archo 5 instead of Concentrating purely on tablets :0(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not really. When I'm on vaca I use as inflight movie watching and in hotel music player.
I got a co-worker to create a dualboot for mine.
http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7
Otherwise, I haven't used it much anymore.

I now have an Asus Transformer Prime which I use.

Now it'll be saved for my future kid who needs a media player on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Retired my fully operational 5IT 160 gig that I just installed a new battery in in favor of my A48 500 gig. Only reason I still have the 5IT is because of the built in GPS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I own both an A5IMT (250GB) and an A5IT (500GB).

I got the A5IT when the A5IMT battery life started falling off. Recently (ie, LAST WEEK), I replaced the hard drive in the A5IMT and the battery in both. So, as of today, both are running "like new."

I have no intention of replacing my devices anytime soon. This is because I've never felt the need to be "up to date with the latest" but rather DO feel the need to "have a device which does exactly what I want it to do" and really couldn't care less about whether or not it does things I don't need or want.

The A5IMT is still an EXCELLENT media player, which was the point of buying it in the first place, and in some ways is superior to the later A5IT, though "technically" it's less robust... it does have the advantages of a more straightforward, logical, unified UI, slightly smaller overall size, and better "no headphones" sound quality.

The A5IT is a faster, more versatile device... though it absolutely over-reached in some areas (I've never once actually used the microphone in it for anything, and the GPS is of "minimal usefulness," I've found. On the other hand, the UI is not ideal... a hybridization of the Archos UI and the Android UI, and not really totally logical. It also has the annoying issue related to all earlier Android versions, of having a limited "device memory" (even if the "external storage"... ie, the hard drive... is just MASSIVE). So, I can't install as many Android apps as I'd expected to be able to.

Both have poor battery-management systems inside... but now that I know how to replace the batteries (it wasn't nearly as painful as I'd expected... the worst part was getting the device OPEN, I mean!) this should not be an issue anymore.

When will I replace my Archos devices? Well... the A5IT was originally a "replacement" for the older A5IMT, but I use both now... so if just one dies, I may well not replace it with anything yet. But I will only replace my device with a comparable device, in terms of capabilities... and I haven't found one yet.

I want a device with 500GB or more internal storage. Seriously... why would I consider an 4GB device or an 8GB device? I LOVE the massive, huge storage of these devices! I want a device running an OS which is "standardized," like Android, but I'm not necessarily married to Android. I do NOT want to have to give control over my device, or perpetual info about myself (and my location) to anyone... so, honestly, I don't want this to be a cell-phone... I want a discrete player, which, at most, can have the "wifi" or "BT" or even "cell phone functionality" to be TOTALLY DISABLED at my option.

I want a device which can easily be connected to my home media hardware... today, I own three DVR stations (upstairs office, master bedroom, and living room home theater setup).

Oh, and I want it to be of a size so that I can carry it in a pouch on my belt, or inside a jacket pocket... meaning, no 10" or even 7" devices. The ~5" viewable screen on the A5 (and A48) devices is ideal from my standpoint).

I think that Archos got it "mostly right" with the A5IT, and could have done a lot better by sticking with what WORKED in that case and only fixing the problems and upgrading the technology. Right now, there's nothing in Archos' "product stable" which I would want to buy, and I WILL NOT buy any Apple product (for both privacy and "personal preferences" reasons). I suppose I might be able to find something like what I have now... except "better"... but so far, I've yet to find one.

I do not want and "iPhone" type device, OR an "iPad" type device, or so forth. I want a belt-size media player with massive storage and plenty of fast "application" support.

Nobody's making something like that right now. Once someone does, I'll consider buying one. Maybe Archos will make that device. Maybe not.

By the way, my first cell phone was a Motorola StarTAC. I kept that 'til I bought a Razr. I still own the Razr. I'd replace it today, if there was a "non-iPhone clone" phone which, like my Razr, fit comfortably in my pocket or little belt pouch. I want a flip-phone. I'd gladly take a "smart phone flip phone" of a similar size, but nobody makes one right now because everyone's slavishly imitating the iPhone... and I, personally, HATE "big slab of glass" "phone" devices.

Personal taste, personal needs... and that's why I still have, and continue to use, my Archos 5 devices. Because there's nothing "better" out there yet, for my particular needs and wants.

Last edited by Cary L. Brown on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use it, but only as a browser. With the google play market now, I can't figure a way to get it. So I only have very limited apps, which is very unfortunate. I have a 32 GB and it's telling me that it's outdated. Plus it's Android 1.6; you can find an Arnova with 4.0... (note you can't push apps to SD card in 1.6, it came out in 2.2).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Going on 2 years with original battery and 500 gb Drive. Use it nightly, when I play podcasts or music, to help me fall asleep. I'm especially pleased with the Bluetooth feature, where I can set my 5it on the night stand or in the next room and not worry about it bumping off my bed, or squashing it, while sleeping thanks to my wireless clipon headset Bluetooth device (Samsung HS3000). It pairs up effortlessly with my 5it and my 3GS (iPhone), which was designed to work with most BT-enabled smart phones and mp3 players, or the like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just got a nice one on ebay for 50 bucks. Since most current apps wont work with this firmware I will use mostly for videos and music.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I purchased a 500GB model a couple of months ago. After some hard drive issues, that I finally fixed, I use it to carry my music collection and a lot of movies and TV shows. I don't care about the tablet functionality since, at this form factor, my phone can do the same and better. In terms of a large capacity player, there's nothing on the market that I think competes and I don't so a ton of streaming.

I hoping to use OpenAos to upgrade the drive to an SSD in a year or two. Hopefully is still functioning by then.