Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: dvr tv output problem
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,I have a a5 android it with gen7 dvr for a couple of years which was working fine recently the tv output started to cut out on the tv.It then stopped working altogether. The connections were all set-up correctly.So I figured it is either the dvr docking connectors or the connectors on the a5 itself.So I bought a new dvr station and find I still have the same problem.
The a5 works as normal when Im on the road with the fm transmitter in the car playing music/video etc.It just wont output to the tv.I go through the connection set-up menu and have tried it with hdmi/rgb and all other available options.The best i've got it to do is output to the tv for 1-2 seconds on rgb set-up in black and white and then it stops working reverting back to the connection set-up option.The dvr station does detect the archos and it goes into the "switch to tv mode" and also the "charge" light comes on at the side.
I think myself it is a problem with the the furthest left dvr connector on the A5 itself (is this the video/audio output?) as the fm transmitter plugs into the other one and this works fine in the car.I suppose it was plugged in and out of the dvr almost every day.
So would you think this the correct assumption?Is it a common problem and can anything be done to remedy the problem.
Sorry for the long post folks,I would really like to fix this problem as you can probably tell I use the archos 5 quite a lot both on the road and in the dvr station mainly for music/movies.
Tia for any input very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have started having the same problem. I have access to two 5IT units. The oldest unit mounts to the DVR and presents the switch screen. When I switch, the screen goes blank but nothing appears on the TV. I also thought that it was probably something to do with the connectors, however the second 5IT unit works perfectly. I have considered a factory reset to see if this would solve the problem but I have several apps I need to back up data for first and am trying to sort that issue before I erase everything. Incidently I have also started having a problem with my TV snap on as posted separately. I'm not sure if the issues are connected or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm not surprised to hear this... and I expect that, eventually, I'll see this on my own Archos devices as well.

It sure sounds like some of the solder joints affixing the lower-edge connectors to the main PCBA (printed circuit board assembly) have failed.

This is something I'd absolutely expect to see happen if, for example, someone used their device on a DVR station without the "saddle" for their particular unit. I'd also expect it if they used various plug-ins while traveling, etc, and "bumped" them, fairly hard, a few times. But even without any abuse of the sort mentioned above, this is likely going to happen eventually on some units.

The little lower-edge connectors are soldered onto the board, and are in no way secured by the case itself. They are held on to the board by solder joints. I do not believe that there is any other means of attachment to the board. (I've had my A5IMT and A5IT apart a grand total of one time, but I inspected it in great detail while apart.)

Overload those joints, or just "normally" load them frequently (and I'm talking about physical loads, not electrical ones, by the way) and the solder joints will likely fail.

When this fails, it will probably not be on every single "pin" of the connector, just one or two of them. At least at first.

I had a similar experience with my first cell phone, a Motorola StarTAC. It had a similar lower-edge connection and the phone would plug into a charging dock along that edge. Eventually the solder joints gave out... meaning I could no longer sync my phone to my computer, or charge my phone. I was able to charge batteries externally, so the phone remained useful. Eventually, I took the phone apart and resoldered the entire lower-edge connector (not adding solder, just using a hot iron on each little tab). This totally restored the device's functionality. I then put epoxy over the connector tabs on the board, and along the edges of the connector body... so that the stresses would be carried by the epoxy, not by the solder joints. While I no longer use this phone, I had it out a few months back (just "playing" with it... it's not registered to any carrier anymore) and the connections are still in perfect working order.

The Archos lower-edge connector is somewhat more robust than the one on the StarTAC was, but not by much. If you put a lot of mechanical load on that little connector, or just plug and unplug stuff very regularly, it's inevitable that some joints will fail, eventually. I expect this to happen to my own eventually, in fact.

But if you have a decent soldering iron (very fine tip) and steady hands, you can likely recover the full use of that connector. And if you're sure the joints are in good "permanent" condition, you may want to pot them over with epoxy, as I did to my old phone, to reduce future stress on those joints.

The pins, where the connector adjoins the printed circuit board, are VERY small.... and you can't allow any "solder bridges" between pins. So if you're not sure you're up to the task, you may want to find someone better equipped to do it for you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Many thanks for the reply. I believe this may bee the problem as I am also having problems with the TV snap on. I have noticed a crack in the plastic case next to the connector so at some point when the unit has been dropped (which it has once or twice) some physical damage has obviously occured. I will open it up and check it out.

Cheers.