Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I cannot for the life of me find a way to get folders I'm sharing on my computer to show up on the Archos over wi-fi. Same network (if it's relevant the PC is on a wired connection to the router, Archos isn't), folders are set to share, I've tweaked every possibly option to allow sharing, and nada. Considering I want to use this thing as a media streamer to my TV, it's kind of vital that I get this part working - any help? Anything? Please? I go to the file manager, hit network, I even try updating it too for giggles, and it's empty every time. I absolutely have file sharing turned on on the computer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try thishttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/12/media-streaming-with-windows-7.aspx
I think windows 7 Detects that it is a media player and you have to allow the device access on windows 7. I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I'm waiting for a replacement screen for my A5A, so I cannot see it now, but all you have to do I think is connect your 48 to your Windows 7 computer and mount it; it should pop up on your Archos device, just accept it, or drag down the black bar on top.

Then your Archos should appear as an external device, that you can open and access from Windows explorer.

To access media on your Windows machine from your Archos device, you can stream it using a UPnP program like PS3 Media Server, TVersity or even Windows Media Server I believe.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Do you get any folders showing up on win7 machine at all? I have seen this where only the 'public' folder shows despite correctly sharing other folders where you're media is located.

Issue has been described at length in terms of the cause being the microsoft sign-in assistant. This needs to be uninstalled from the pc as it interferes with the SMB file sharing on win7 machines.

So if you are able to see the actual machine when browsing network on the a5a and then can open the machine but only see limited folders then this will be your issue.

If the pc doesn't show up at all then it will be the network settings on the win 7 pc (ie - network discovery settings etc) which should be able to be changed at network and sharing centre on the win 7 pc. Make sure you check out the 'change advanced sharing settings' and make some changes here if neccessary on the win 7 pc.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is not the sign-in assistant.

Check this URL for how I solved the problem: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=56091