Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

shiang wrote:
nz wrote:
shiang wrote:
Now I've loose my patience, the library still CANNOT display double-byte characters, totally USELESS!!!

it should. can you give more details and maybe some sample files?

nz, I have sent you a couple of sample files and images LAST YEAR. Why do we keep repeating this loop?

Here's the specific info of the email (sent to [email protected]), please check your email archive:

Send date: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Subject: Sample MP3 with Chinese Tags (ArcLibrary bug)
Attachments:
1. A5_ArcLibraryScreen.jpg: The photo of the garbled information in ArcLibrary.
2. A5_LanguageSetup.jpg: The language to choose (in Android) if you'd like to reproduce the problem.
3. Test_ChID3.mp3: A short MP3 sample, with Chinese Traditional ID3/ID3v2 values, for your testing.
4. Test_ChID3_Values.jpg: The edit screen of WinAMP, with detailed values of ID3/ID3v2 of the above MP3, for your comparison with the screen in Archos.

indeed, I found it. thx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

mplant1999 wrote:
cowon wrote:
,,. They've left in all the problems with the calendar, the unusably slow music player, the wifi security - all these massive problems and only made minor fixes. ...?

I'm glad they've given us an update as well but cannot argue with the above points. I love the music player but it drives me nuts waiting for it to open or minimize so that I can get to the home screen! Still, short of Archos releasing Froyo for the Gen7's and including the Gen8 media apps, I don't see how they can improve much on them. My dim understanding is that they've grafted their Gen6 aps - which were designed to run on Archos' own flavour of Linux - onto Android in the Gen7 line. Probably very tricky to do much with them. But what do I know (HINT: in this area, not much!).

Are Gen 8 media apps as responsive as native android apps like Cubed (3) ?
I'm inclined to think that if Archos releases stable Froyo for Gen 7 then there is no use of AMC for me coz I use AMC only for Video playback. The Audio playback with the amount of lag in navigating across screens is horrendous for playing songs. Also with a number of ARM optimized players available like VPlayer, Neonplayer etc., almost all formats can be played by Third party apps with a slight cost on battery utilization but far greater responsiveness. The real bonus would be the ability to play Flash videos directly from Browser which has been broken for quite some time now with no fix from Archos. I really don't think that there is a realistic chance of Honeycomb which is proving to be a headache for Motorola and a bad PR for Google. Gingerbread would require quite a lot of effort I assume as well.. so Froyo might be a realistic target!!!

Any comments nz??? Though I know you won't :)

Rgds
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@nz
We have several new bugs since last 3 or 4? FW-updates.

1. Lost manual EQ settings
After normal device (re)boot, all manual settings lost (but the graphical view is okay).
Problem is reproducible (example see below).
-> go to EQ
-> use manual setting
-> use setting button to change the manual EQ
-> use max. treble and max. bass
-> leave the settings
-> test via archos music player
-> Reboot the device
-> still test it again
-> go to EQ settings
-> click on the setting button again (you will see, the graphical view is okay, but the sound is now "better", you can hear the manual settings now)
-> check the sound before / after button click
Workaround: every time when you need man. settings, use the procedure above.
I don't re-test the other settings such Pop / Rock etc.
Pls fix it.
2. Several little gaps in tracks (not the "gapless problem").
Sometimes, I can hear gaps for a millisecond in a track. It is not really reproducible, but it appears from time to time.
(maybe in every track)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

[quote="srawat_itpro]Are Gen 8 media apps as responsive as native android apps like Cubed (3) ? [/quote]

I have the A43IT and the Gen 8 media apps run at native speed (I suspect that they ARE native Android apps).

Last edited by mplant1999 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Have general usability issues like:
  • the need to toggle wifi whenever you move locations and actually want to see what WIFI networks exist
  • sound being muted when copilot wants to announce something actually being muted while copilot starts speaking and not a second or two before it speaks and being unmuted while copilot is still speaking
  • bigger space for apps -- I have 16GB of disk space here and only some small finite portion of it can be for apps to be installed

been fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Has anyone noticed bugs in the new firmware or will I be okay to install it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The whole unit freezes and I have to reset it when using the music player, so far under these scenarios:

1. After a long period of play, with headphones, and the screen turned off - on pressing the powerbutton the screen lights up and displays but is frozen.
2. I switched to the Home screen and then settings and tried to access the EQ settings at which point the screen froze, as above.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cowon wrote:
Has anyone noticed bugs in the new firmware or will I be okay to install it?

For the limited use I avail of everything appears fine to me so far (running the 3d version). Working all ok for me is:

Videos
games (angry birds)
Copilot gps
Wireless
Internet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:26 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Quote:

I have the A43IT and the Gen 8 media apps run at native speed (I suspect that they ARE native Android apps).

Thanks for clarifying the same! Guess the first gen product adapters always get shortchanged.

A lot of people are reporting unit freezing issues and my unit which was very stable so far has also acted up 1-2 times post the new fw. Will have to test it more to confirm.

Rgds
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is getting very frustrating when every program I want to install needs 2.0 or higher!!

I understand not getting 3.0, but PLEASE update the IT to 2.0-2.3!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

remjax wrote:
It is getting very frustrating when every program I want to install needs 2.0 or higher!!

I understand not getting 3.0, but PLEASE update the IT to 2.0-2.3!!

Dude. Dream on (and on and on). As much as I hate to be the pessimist and say it, it's never going to happen.

Pitching in to the openaos Froyo is your best bet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@nz

Have you changed anything to do with the battery charging?

After installing this update to my very old and tired 500GB A5IT, the one with the 5 minute life battery that I have to keep on the DVR staton to use....

Lo and behold, the battery charge is now holding for at least 2 hours playing video and seems to be improving each charge!

This defies the known laws of Li-Polimer battery life... :-s :-k

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
@nz

After installing this update to my very old and tired 500GB A5IT, the one with the 5 minute life battery that I have to keep on the DVR staton to use....

Lo and behold, the battery charge is now holding for at least 2 hours playing video and seems to be improving each charge!

Perhaps what was changed was the algorithm for how the unit reports (and reacts to?) battery discharge rates?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After one week with the new 3D-firm, I noticed more freezings than with the old 3D-firm. FM-Radio is almost unusable - again, but this time the file manager freezes as well.
Today I changed the firm to 1.9.45 - non 3D. One whole day without freezings so far and without random power-off when device put to sleep. The negative - my Sygic Aura is not working now, but the other 3 navi's are OK.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mplant1999 wrote:
Farsquidge wrote:
@nz

Perhaps what was changed was the algorithm for how the unit reports (and reacts to?) battery discharge rates?

If the reporting algorithm had been changed, and mine has gone from 5 mins life to 2 hours approx, then I am sure there would have been many people out there reporting 100% battery for 5 hours and suddenly it went dead in 2 seconds!

No, it can't be the reported battery status that has changed I am sure.

Actually, I made the original post as a bit of a 'tongue in cheek' item.
Not even nz could recover a dead battery. I am beginning to think I have just been lucky in that when I actually MOVED the A5IT to do the firmware update, an oxide tendril that was shorting out the plates has been displaced and given a second wind to the old battery, but no doubt, it wont last long.

What we really need from Archos is a third party source for these darned A5IT Lithium cells!!

Cumon Archos, give and old A5IT a chance for life without RMA! PLEASE? Some of us can actually change them ourselves (or like me you get the IT slaves to do it :D )

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:03 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

something aint quite working, I was getting the same error with the market hack people mentioned previously on 1.9.34, so upgraded to 2.0.45 and still i was getting an error.

I have just done a complete clean install wiping everything and starting over on 1.9.34, but now when I try to access the market, its saying server error.

I have no idea what the pants is going on, but everything was running sweet as a nut before the firmware upgrades

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

geemacd wrote:
something aint quite working, I was getting the same error with the market hack people mentioned previously on 1.9.34, so upgraded to 2.0.45 and still i was getting an error.

I have just done a complete clean install wiping everything and starting over on 1.9.34, but now when I try to access the market, its saying server error.

I have no idea what the pants is going on, but everything was running sweet as a nut before the firmware upgrades

Did you run the "sync"-settings? When you activate the sync, then you'll get access to the market. Just try and try and you'll get it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
mplant1999 wrote:
Farsquidge wrote:
@nz

If the reporting algorithm had been changed, and mine has gone from 5 mins life to 2 hours approx, then I am sure there would have been many people out there reporting 100% battery for 5 hours and suddenly it went dead in 2 seconds!

No, it can't be the reported battery status that has changed I am sure.

Actually, I made the original post as a bit of a 'tongue in cheek' item.

:oops: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mplant1999 wrote:
The whole unit freezes and I have to reset it when using the music player, so far under these scenarios:

1. After a long period of play, with headphones, and the screen turned off - on pressing the powerbutton the screen lights up and displays but is frozen.
2. I switched to the Home screen and then settings and tried to access the EQ settings at which point the screen froze, as above.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

As for 1) I experienced a screen freeze like that using the default Android player while using 2.0.38. I had been listening to a podcast through the FM transmitter, and paused play while I went into a store. I came back ten minutes or so later, woke up the device with a button press, but the screen was unresponsive and the device required a reboot.

But i have seen a similar crash in 2.0.45. Last night after upgrading to 2.0.45 I left the device on the DVR station overnight. When I took the device off the station this morning, the screen was unresponsive and required a reboot. That was not usual behavior with 2.0.38.

As for your crash #2. I was able to access the eq settings from the home page settings link without trouble.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After a long and careful testing, i could make a conclusion, that the 3D-firmware is causing all the troubles. Initially I flashed with the last 3D-firm and the device's behavior was almost terrible - both working with file manager and FM-radio. Yesterday I switched to the last non 3D-firm and everything was perfect. Endless FM-radio and file manager browsing, Music player as well. Today I flashed back with 3D-firm, because the Sygic Aura SatNav demands 3D-firm. The problems came back again. It is terrible. Pls., pls., pls., - do what you got to do, because I'm sick of this.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next