I am very disapointed with archos dropping support of the a5it without a froyo update. Now that its a end-of-life model I'm going to upload a modified 2.0.38 fw. I have used the openaos froyo version and and quite impressed by it however I miss the avos stuff from it.
Included in this fw:
Openaos kernel base and intramfs base so will be compatible with angstrom, openaos froyo, & archos donut. (thanks openaos)
Requires openoas multi-root boot
Changes to kernel:
Included support for ext4 fs
Ported aufs fs into kernel
Selected all other available cpu governers.
Changes to fw 2.0.38
Added full chainsdd su & superuser.apk on /system
Added darktremor apps2sd (this is optional and requires a sdcard with an ext3 second primary partition)
/System is full read and write using aufs filesystem
Changes to init.rc to support the above and avos_helper.sh to support proper shutdown of aufs.
Notes on aufs
aufs is a unionfs type filesystem (google aufs2 for more info)
/mnt/system is used by archos /dev/block/sda2 for archos proprietary stuff.
I have system overlay mounted to /mnt/system/sysrw using aufs. This will allow changes to /system to be persistant.
All changes & modifications to /system files will actually be in /mnt/system/sysrw and files deleted from /system will have a whiteout marker placed on them in aufs and to get them back simply delete the file from /mnt/system/sysrw and it will revert to the one on the real /system on the cramfs.
I have a flash archos 5it but the aufs /system should work on both flash and hard drive archos.
Notes on darktremor apps2sd:
This is optional and will only be used if a second primary ext3 filesystem is found on the sdcard. (sorry hard drive users)
Easiest way to format micro sdcard is to use a usb card reader and under linux using g-parted (live boot cd is fine).
1. 1st backup contents of sdcard (better safe than sorry).
2. use g-parted to shrink the fat32 partition to have 512mb remaining free space at the end.
3. create a new PRIMARY ext3 partition in the newly created 512mb free space.
Note had a user state he had issues with gapps and market downloads. I recommend setting up gapps and getting market working on stock archos fw prior to flashing this and you shouldn't have any trouble with it.
1. Download the archos5it_apps2sd_system_rw.tar.gz and extract.
2. Copy the Zimage & intramfs.cpio.gz to the root of the archos's main storage and the entire update folder into the openaos folder.
3. Unmount the device cleanly.
4. Power off
5. Boot device holding power + vol down
6. Select developer menu and flash kernel and intramfs
7. Reboot and select archos and enjoy (will take several minutes to reboot).
version 2 Updated post with download from a few posts below to fix bootloops some devices got./archos5it_aufs_system_apps2sd.tar.gz
md5sum is a6a9f989147c4ca51dbc8ba57f86dfb5