Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: GPS Power?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just so you you know how clueless I am on the topic here: as I said in another thread...just bought this device for my daughter, it's in the mail still, and I've never used Android or a GPS before. Heck, we have plain cheapie non-smart cell phones for voice calls only...so if there's a GPS in those suckers, I don't know about it.

Anyway, the question is this. Just like Wifi, I assume the GPS puts an additional power draw on the device?

With no intention for my 10 year old daughter to use this device for anything beyond music/video/light browsing, is there a way to turn off the GPS somewhere in either sticky boot settings or hardware switch or in the Android OS itself.

My little 7 inch Windows CE tablet has software control panel applet to turn off Wifi radio when not in use to extend battery time. I'm hoping there is such a feature for the GPS on the Archos.

Am I overestimating how much power the GPS would use when no software is actively using it? Any insights would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: GPS Power?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

GPS, shouldn't be taking any power if there is no app using it. However, there is a soft setting to turn the GPS off. (There is also one for screen brightness, WIFI, bluetooth ect. so you should be able to keep battey useage under control.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is your 10 yr old daughter 'gifted' in some way - otherwise I fear this device is not for her - too advanced and not quite user friendly enough for a youngster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, she is pretty smart for her age. I'm a developer for around 20 years, and have had her doing something with computers since she was very young. She's not low-level file system or command line person for sure, but she's been able to get around GUIs from Ubuntu to various versions of Windows. She's more able than many of today's adults who think "I know computers cause I know how to use a browser or farm on facebook".

She's proved herself very responsible and gentle with a Nintendo DS and an antique Fujitsu Tablet PC that needs to be retired (it was over the hill and anemic processor-wise when I started letting her use it). So I'm hoping she'll prove me right and take good care of this little Archos beauty too.

I'm a PC dev, and I've done Windows CE work on some mobile devices, but this is the first Android device in the house. I was hoping to get things all tweaked and tricked out on the device to make it pretty easy for her. I plan on getting the media all organized on her home PC, and turning her loose with Windows Media or MediaMonkey whichever I can get to work easiest with the Archos.

I don't fear Java and Eclipse and spent the other night getting all the tools and 1.6 SDKs and emulator stuff I need to write or port some stuff if I need/want to on this device.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 10 year old is the same way, and I wouldn't hesitate to let her use my A5A - except I'd probably never get it back!

-Brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Since the current crop of 10 year old girls appear to be competent enough to trust with these devices and interfaces, why not just explain to them about the potential problem of your GPS power drain problem? Or, better still, let them experience for themselves the effect of such a power drain resulting in an unusable Archos?

Education is much better than "locking out" in IT circles, as you must know from your many years in IT.

"Locking out" just encourages hacking. Of course that's no bad thing, in my opinion.

A win-win situation either way, maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh absolutely. I'm going to simply educate her on the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi settings and their impact on power.

I asked that first question before UPS had dropped the tablet at our door. I was hoping rather than just the software that uses the GPS, that an "on/off" existed in the main settings like I had seen for BT and Wifi on other devices. My Android AND Archos ignorance led to that question.

And indeed since Gerald confirmed there was a setting for GPS just like the others, I was happy to hear it.

She'll definitely get the Settings tour and the "turn off what you don't need or face the huge sucking sound on the battery" speech, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FriendOfEntropy wrote:
Oh absolutely. I'm going to simply educate her on the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi settings and their impact on power.

Glad to hear it. Nothing like education.

=D>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Settings
Security and Location
Use GPS Satellites

Make sure it's not turned on.

Easy. :)