Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I did a few quick searches to make sure this is not a repeat but I just figured out how to use the A5A to read DRM protected Epub books downloaded from a library.

The website is here:

http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/default.aspx

The first thing you have to do is register your device to read protected books. You need to go to the Adobe website and register a login. If you use a Sony Reader or something you probably already have a login.

The app is pretty easy to use. I just downloaded and started reading my first DRM book on my A5A. It is a pretty good reader. It has most of the same options as Adiko.

The app can also download and play DRM protected audio books. I believe it only handles MP3s and not WMVs but I may be mistaken.

My A5A is now pretty frackin complete.

Bax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bax - thanks for pointing out the Overdrive program. I installed it from the Market.

But I have no idea how to use it.

First of all, what is a DRM epub?

And where do I have to login at the Adobe site?

I see something called Adobe Digital Editions, but it is Windows/Mac software.

Please help me to understand how to use Overdrive Media Console as an ebook reader.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ok, the first thing you probably need to do is log into Adobe and create an adobe account. Here is the link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?nf=1&nl=1&loc=en_us

Next, in Overdrive click the menu then the Apps Settings button at the bottom. Page down and type in your Adobe ID (email address) and password then click authorize. I am not sure why Adobe makes you do this. It seems like a silly extra step.

Next click menu and select Get Books. Here is where you will add a library website from which you will download your books. Here is a link that let's you search for bookstores and libraries that use Overdrive for distribution. There seems to be about 12 bookstores in the States to download books including Barnes and Noble and Borders.

http://search.overdrive.com/

Once you add a website, you click on it and work through that website's download process.

For my library, I can search for a book, "check it out" and download it right from my Archos. After that I just open it up from the main menu in Overdrive.

It's actually a pretty good reader.

Bax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

By the way the new (unreleased) Aldiko is going to support these files also.

I hope it will work on our devises.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bax:

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand what's going on here.

It seems that many public libraries in the US, and a few in Canada, have taken steps to allow the "borrowing" of digital copies of ebooks. And some (all) of those libraries have opted for a DRM (Digital Rights Management) encryption scheme created by Adobe. Books so encrypted are also known as "Adobe Digital Editions", or ADE.

Sadly, the libraries that loan out ADE ebooks still require you to live in their area, and to physically obtain a virtual library card. And the only ADE libraries in the Montr├®al area are 50 km away on the West Island (Pointe Claire and C├┤te St-Luc).
I don't understand why there is not a virtual lending library that purchases several digital licences to copyrighted works, and "loans" them for a limited time to subscribers for a subscription fee. Maybe that's what Google Books was supposed to do?

As for the virtual ADE bookstores like Borders.com and BooksOnBoard, they do have a better selection than the public libraries, but the prices are atrocious compared to Kindle and Kobo - maybe because of the licencing fee they have to pay to Adobe?

So, I will stick to Kindle and Kobo and Laputa/BlazerBooks for my reading on my A5A. At least until Aldiko 2.0 is available, but even then the cost of ADE books is likely to be higher than the others.

Thanks again, Bax.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

So other than Aldiko 2.0 (unreleased) there's no DRM EPUB reader for Android that supports ADE?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

jasdjensen wrote:
So other than Aldiko 2.0 (unreleased) there's no DRM EPUB reader for Android that supports ADE?

I think both the Kobo and Nook apps support Adobe DRM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Aldiko 2.0 premium (paid version, 2.99$) is available in the market. It can handle DRM pdf and epub. It works fine on the 5IT. It has a very different look and feel than the older versions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I thought the new Aldiko Premium 2.0 required Android 2.1 or better? I can't seem to get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I bought aldiko 2.0 based on the drm. I cant get it to sign in to the adobe drm. Can anyone confirm whether it works?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm using it to read DRM ePub. It worked without any problems for me. No problems with authorisation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

For me, i get the error message that it failed, but then it does create the folder ".adobe-digital-editions" and the files inside "device" and "activation".

I cant figure out why it still doesnt work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I get the same folder and files.
Can you authorize it in Overdrive? Have you reached a limit in the nr of allowed activations?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I'm using the Adobe Digital Editions app in windows to transfer the epub file. I also used that app to 'activate' the device (which creates the same folder and files).

Is there somewhere I can check the limit of uses?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm confused. You did not activate from within Aldiko?

See http://aldiko.zendesk.com/forums/306333-getting-started for instructions.

I'm not aware of checking the nr of uses. I think you use 6 devices or computers with your Adobe ID

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I hve a case open with Aldiko and one with Adobe. Hopefully someone can figure it out.