Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mplant1999 wrote:
Can anyone here who's installed Froyo on a 5 comment on whether or not there is a significant performance boost as a result of having done so?

say WHAT??? there is a froyo hack for the A5A? man I must have missed it, yes please if anyone knows where I can get it with minimal hacks, cool, 2.2 or 2.1 either works for me....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

See the links in Sweetypie's post from earlier in the week below:

sweetypie wrote:
Ok, I did your Google search for you. Here's the first link I came up with:

http://www.openaos.org/

Here's the second:

http://dev.openaos.org/

Here's the third:

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Android

HTH

And then there's this from Zaphord, which links to some instructions:

Zaphord wrote:
@geemacd and @yossi2010

You can look at http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7?version=36
It's a detailed description how to install.
You may realize: This is nothing for total noobs :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

well shoot thank you. I've replied to this post before and i have not received an email in a while... checked today and there were a ton of posts that I missed.

Is there a reason why Archos does not realese an official update for 2.1 or 2.2?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 am 
Archos User
Archos User

mplant1999 wrote:
See the links in Sweetypie's post from earlier in the week below:

sweetypie wrote:
Ok, I did your Google search for you. Here's the first link I came up with:

http://www.openaos.org/

Here's the second:

http://dev.openaos.org/

Here's the third:

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Android

HTH

And then there's this from Zaphord, which links to some instructions:

Zaphord wrote:
@geemacd and @yossi2010

You can look at http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7?version=36
It's a detailed description how to install.
You may realize: This is nothing for total noobs :)

how well do these work? stable, bricking A5As???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My experiences with the actual OpenAOS Froyo aplha5 (Remember: its alpha5 release, not beta not RC):
Nearly all implemented features are working but some major issues are missing (look at their page http://dev.openaos.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Android%202.2&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&report=10 and you will see the open tickets)

For me there are only two MAJOR advantages of Froyo (beside the gadgets like live wallpaper.... which I don't really need)

1.) You have 500Mb programm storage (they don't want to implement Apps2SD but 500Mb is really enough, no more need to uninstall/install programms because of storage)
2.) You can use an external bluetooth GPS instead of the BAD GPS of the Archos (bluetooth not implemented in alpha5 yet)

I'm really looking forward to the next release

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
You have 500Mb programm storage
actually, you can make it any size you want
Quote:
bluetooth not implemented in alpha5 yet
some bluetooth capabilities were in alpha4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@illifant
How can I increase the program storage?
Do I have to build the OS from the sources myself?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If 500M is not really enough you can repack the image
Some code from openaos site
Code:
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=fat_image.img bs=1M count=<desired size in megabytes>
$ mke2fs -j fat_image.img
$ mkdir fat_root
$ sudo mount -o loop rootfsfroyo.img fat_root
$ mkdir openaos
$ sudo mount -o loop openaos-alpha...img openaos
$ sudo cp -a openaos/* fat_root
$ sudo umount openaos
$ sudo umount fat_root

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@ illifant

Quote:
Code:
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=fat_image.img bs=1M count=<desired size in megabytes>
$ mke2fs -j fat_image.img
$ mkdir fat_root
$ sudo mount -o loop rootfsfroyo.img fat_root
$ mkdir openaos
$ sudo mount -o loop openaos-alpha...img openaos
$ sudo cp -a openaos/* fat_root
$ sudo umount openaos
$ sudo umount fat_root

I didn't find this at the openaos Homepage, can you send me a link?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, only the first 4 lines are from there and I modified it a little

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Android%3A% ... next3image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mplant1999 wrote:
To be honest with you, I'd love to have 2.2 on my A5A IT, but "latest and greatest" thinking aside, I don't really see what of significance I would gain from 2.x. I have a 43IT with 2.2 installed and there are some nice tweaks to the UI but nothing that I can see (so far) that is a dealbreaker for me. Speed for me is a non-issue. I really can't detect a difference between the 43 and the 5.

Can anyone here who's installed Froyo on a 5 comment on whether or not there is a significant performance boost as a result of having done so?

I haven't installed Froyo and can't comment on performance boosts, but if nothing else, it at least makes more apps accessible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jupiterthunder wrote:
[
I haven't installed Froyo and can't comment on performance boosts, but if nothing else, it at least makes more apps accessible.

Yes, as I use the device more and more and explore the marketplace, increasingly I am running into this. The other thing I'd like is the ability to install apps on my microSD card - the 256MB of system storage fills up FAST (particularly with CoPilot 8 Live installed).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think its a shame that we bought an "internet tablet" and can't run flash 10.1 .Not a deal breaker for me cause I bought it for movies on the go and it's awesome for that but still...

I wrote a email to the tech support person and asked about flash and she said that Adobe would have to send them the code and then they could work on it. Huh ????

And as a previous poster said...a ton of apps are 2.2 only now. Kinda feel like the redheaded stepchild over here. I thought Androids are up-dateable, most phones are.

Oh well, flash 10.1 would be nice if nothing else. Soon.

MBS
http://www.soundclick.com/mothersbadson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good evening (East Coast USA), I'm a first time poster. I ordered the A5 500gb from Amazon. It was $340 with shipping, and it was a GOLD BOX deal, meaning that you had to make your purchase in a very short amount of time. Because of that, I wasn't able to do my usual internet research.

It seemed like a great deal, as I was at first going to buy an iTouch 4 G 32gb around the same price. My only disappointment was not having a camera, especially a front facing one for Skype (my wife has family in the Philippines). It boggled my mind that I would have 500 gig of storage for music and apps. But now I'm learning (even before I receive my A5), that I won't be able to do the things I thought it could do. Youtube aside, I really wanted to do voice chat on SKYPE. Now is seems that many apps won't work on this model, not even including the ones that require 2.1 and above.

Since this model is advertised as an Internet Tablet, with Android, is it too much to ask that Google Apps work as well? I'm tired of hearing about EOL (End Of Life). I think all products should be developed for at least two years. After that, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for future updates and enhancements.

I agree a company has to have continued income, but they also need to protect their reputation. If a company isn't going to support it's products for a reasonable amount of time, I don't want to SUPPORT them.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

PRICE CORRECTION: I paid $240 including shipping.

I want to use the A5 for music, viewing videos, internet radio/TV, and Skype/Audio Chat. My wife has family in the Philippines. It would also be nice to use it as a phone when near a wifi hotspot (I have pay as you go cell service....it would save me money)

So do you think I wasted my money? I know from this thread that it is very frustrating not to have another Archos product that has all the hardware that the A5 has....and yet be limited by not getting anymore updates.

I thank this forum for your advice, and hope that as an intermediate computer user, I'll be able to make necessary updates as needed.

Regards,

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

videomaker2000 wrote:
Good evening (East Coast USA), I'm a first time poster. <snip> My only disappointment was not having a camera, especially a front facing one for Skype (my wife has family in the Philippines). It boggled my mind that I would have 500 gig of storage for music and apps. But now I'm learning (even before I receive my A5), that I won't be able to do the things I thought it could do. Youtube aside, I really wanted to do voice chat on SKYPE. Now is seems that many apps won't work on this model, not even including the ones that require 2.1 and above.

Since this model is advertised as an Internet Tablet, with Android, is it too much to ask that Google Apps work as well? <snip>.

Pete

videomaker2000 wrote:
PRICE CORRECTION: I paid $240 including shipping.

I want to use the A5 for music, viewing videos, internet radio/TV, and Skype/Audio Chat. My wife has family in the Philippines. It would also be nice to use it as a phone when near a wifi hotspot (I have pay as you go cell service....it would save me money)

So do you think I wasted my money? I know from this thread that it is very frustrating not to have another Archos product that has all the hardware that the A5 has....and yet be limited by not getting anymore updates.

I thank this forum for your advice, and hope that as an intermediate computer user, I'll be able to make necessary updates as needed.

Regards,

Pete

Did you 'waste your money'? .. Depends on perspective, the A5IT is a good multimedia device and if you have need to carry around 500G of that kind of stuff, well it is probably an OK deal .. OTOH if you wanted other stuff like phone stuff and up-to-date apps you made the wrong buy .. haven't seen anyone successfully use the A5IT in a phone-like context and yeah no camera .. so you could have gotten a lot less expensive and more up to date multimedia device elsewhere (but less storage) .. as for Google Apps, most run but with no more version updates from Archos, being stuck on 'old' android will affect what Gapps will run more and more ..

Archos seems more and more to be rolling out product that will be 'stuck' at a certain point w/no upgrade path and moving on to sell more hardware .. researching b4 buying is your friend, no matter how good a 'deal' seems.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I installed the openAOS froyo alpha5 firmware and it is really fast. Ofcourse there are problems. By now I have my browser crash a few times and I don't have android market (but I have the froyo only 3 hours ago :)
The openAOS wiki - http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7 is pretty good. The only problem I met was the unpacking the archos firmware as I use Windows instead of linux. So I get it unpacked and these are the only needed files http://www.multiupload.com/UNTMSWQRJS . With these files you should be able to install the froyo on Windows, but there is a tricky thing left - mounting the Archos after installing the Angstrome. This could be solved if you copy the files zImage , initramfs.cpio.gz , openaos-froyo-alpha5a_20110119.img to the root folder of Archos BEFORE installing the sde_archos5.aos. This way you will not have to mount the Archos in this step:
"The screen now should say connect your device  Please do so and mount the device on your desktop PC."
So good luck to everyone who wants to give it a try!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've had my device for 1.5 years and still love it for watching video while exercising. I download on my PC and transfer it to view. I finally broke down and got my first smart phone last weekend (TMo was offering the Samsung Galaxy Vibrant with FroYo on it for FREE). I'm loving having 2.2 on it which is what brought me back here. Is anyone successfully running 2.2 on the Archos? The process looks daunting to me for what appears to be spotty results, as best I can tell. I would pay someone to update mine for me if it'd work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 am 
Archos User
Archos User

jnussl wrote:
lupo8888 wrote:
I installed the openAOS froyo alpha5 firmware and it is really fast. Ofcourse there are problems. By now I have my browser crash a few times and I don't have android market (but I have the froyo only 3 hours ago :)
The openAOS wiki - http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7 is pretty good. The only problem I met was the unpacking the archos firmware as I use Windows instead of linux. So I get it unpacked and these are the only needed files http://www.multiupload.com/UNTMSWQRJS . With these files you should be able to install the froyo on Windows, but there is a tricky thing left - mounting the Archos after installing the Angstrome. This could be solved if you copy the files zImage , initramfs.cpio.gz , openaos-froyo-alpha5a_20110119.img to the root folder of Archos BEFORE installing the sde_archos5.aos. This way you will not have to mount the Archos in this step:
"The screen now should say connect your device  Please do so and mount the device on your desktop PC."
So good luck to everyone who wants to give it a try!

"unpacking the archos firmware as I use Windows instead of linux." could you tell me how to do this ,please? or can you send those files to me ? I also use win7 operation. thanks a lot

Well I couldn't find a way to extract the firmware on Windows but I did it on linux and I have uploaded the unpacked files on the link http://www.multiupload.com/UNTMSWQRJS You can download the file and just unrar it with any archive client.

And I suggest you to copy the files zImage , initramfs.cpio.gz , openaos-froyo-alpha5a_20110119.img before you install the Angstrom, because I had troubles mounting the devise on Windows with installed Angstrom, so I believe it will be better if you copy them all at once in the begining.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Guys,

Taking into account this is a Alpha5 edition, if I were to install it, would it allow me to install and run games/ apps that need higher firmware than 1.6? as the device is dual boot would I need to boot up the device with this firmware or would the device know that Froyo was also installed and adjust itself acordingly, like a plug-in, therefore enabling me to install and run Froyo apps/ games?

Thanks

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next