Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

atomicmecha wrote:
apparently that 2.1 upgrade is still in the fuzzy subspace between being really out and just mentioned. If you look at the Archos 7 Home Tablet (aka the 7" screen version of our 5's) there's a button that says "Compare Home VS Internet Tablet" and when you click that a window comes up with a side by side comparison of the two 7" devices and when it comes to the OS, it says the home tablet can run 1.6 or 2.1. So guess its out... just not everywhere yet?
yep, it's all right here: http://www.archos.com/products/ta/_watc ... us&lang=en

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Apparently, it's available to purchase from at least a couple of retailers: Here and Here. Interestingly on the second link it's referred to as V2 though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

BCruz wrote:
Well the Archos 7 tablet just got an update to android 2.1. It's not 2.2 but maybe we can have hope that some of that firmware will make it's way towards the 5IT?

It didn't "get" an update. An updated version (V2) will be sold in Europe. This was after Engadget contacted Archos:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/30/arch ... and-faste/
Engadget wrote:
We've confirmed with Archos that a "v2" revision is now shipping in Europe with three things the original lacked -- an accelerometer, a relatively recent version of Android (2.1) and an 800MHz Rockchip CPU.

That's a completely different CPU, and I'm betting it doesn't use the same GPU either, so I don't know how compatible it will be with our 5A. Granted, even a 2.1 update would be nice, but I think the Gen8 devices are a closer match then the Home Tablet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Or charge a small fee for the upgrade, for those who wanted it.

I'd be happy if I could just Youtube to work on my Archos 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i dont have any probs watching youtube... have u tried the market hack?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You can watch not Youtube only but video from number of sites that provide link to streaming flv video / movies as well! You do not need 2.2 for this. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

PD4Ever wrote:
I'd be happy if I could just Youtube to work on my Archos 5

Have you tried "m.youtube.com"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

macr0t0r wrote:
BCruz wrote:
Well the Archos 7 tablet just got an update to android 2.1. It's not 2.2 but maybe we can have hope that some of that firmware will make it's way towards the 5IT?

It didn't "get" an update. An updated version (V2) will be sold in Europe. This was after Engadget contacted Archos:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/30/arch ... and-faste/
Engadget wrote:
We've confirmed with Archos that a "v2" revision is now shipping in Europe with three things the original lacked -- an accelerometer, a relatively recent version of Android (2.1) and an 800MHz Rockchip CPU.

That's a completely different CPU, and I'm betting it doesn't use the same GPU either, so I don't know how compatible it will be with our 5A. Granted, even a 2.1 update would be nice, but I think the Gen8 devices are a closer match then the Home Tablet.

This is a complete waste of resources, IMO.. the chinese made no-name brand tablets have this (android 2.1 or less) market just about locked up. Archos should concentrate on getting more capacity into the 32, 43, 70, 101 tablets. Revamping the gen5 is taking a step backward. There was no doubt these new versions of android were gonna be released. Betas were already released around the web. Consumers just want to see a polished GUI so they can do the things they want to do.. the mass market doesn't want to root the device & get access to the linux operating underneath. That's why what should have been out in September took until about November (2.2). If indeed there is a market for a 5" tablet, that should be a gen8 tablet beyond the specs of the 43.... maybe a gen8 "53".. I think 50 is taken for a non wifi media player. My suggestion: dual core 1.2ghz, 1ghz Ram, 32gb internal memory, sdxc slot, usb 3.0, hdmi, etc. $259.99 Release date 8/31/11--- actual ship date: 01/20/2012 (just kidding).

Suggestions: The archos 70 get a 640gb hard drive.. the 101... 1tb hard drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

tmc wrote:

This is a complete waste of resources, IMO.. the chinese made no-name brand tablets have this (android 2.1 or less) market just about locked up. Archos should concentrate on getting more capacity into the 32, 43, 70, 101 tablets. Revamping the gen5 is taking a step backward. There was no doubt these new versions of android were gonna be released. Betas were already released around the web. Consumers just want to see a polished GUI so they can do the things they want to do.. the mass market doesn't want to root the device & get access to the linux operating underneath. That's why what should have been out in September took until about November (2.2). If indeed there is a market for a 5" tablet, that should be a gen8 tablet beyond the specs of the 43.... maybe a gen8 "53".. I think 50 is taken for a non wifi media player. My suggestion: dual core 1.2ghz, 1ghz Ram, 32gb internal memory, sdxc slot, usb 3.0, hdmi, etc. $259.99 Release date 8/31/11--- actual ship date: 01/20/2012 (just kidding).

Suggestions: The archos 70 get a 640gb hard drive.. the 101... 1tb hard drive.

Waste of resources? I am so close to buying a Archos 5 Internet because of the size and features.
The size is just right. Big enough to not be unusable, and small enough to not require a satchel or
other carrying case.

I like the onboard GPS, but realize that it's probably lame compared to the new Garmin Nuvi I just
picked up for $70. I'm disappointed in the Archos new home series as they appear underpowered compared
to the A5IT and less featureful in terms of HW options. I really have no intention of buying a 7" or
10" pad given the current feature list in those products. I'd be happy to fork over some bucks to
Archos for a "support" contract for the A5IT, assuming they are willing to keep it up-to-date for
a reasonable amount of time. I'm hoping that some company will pull it's head out of the sand
(or other places) and make the killer tablet. I don't expect a 12MP camera with flash and 3x O zoom
on a 5" tablet, but I have to wonder why not if DVR is an option (and an attractive one at that) for the
A5IT, why something like a 5MP/Flash/zoom isn't available. I mean heck, IPhone 4 has 2 cameras now....

What I've seen out of the Chinese knockoffs is interesting, but none of them have what
I consider to be features that I'm willing to compromise on for the lower price. I just returned a PMP
because the touch screen was horribly slow, the camera stopped working as I got the thing on,
and the documentation was absolute tripe, and hopelessly inadequate. Not to mention that simple
features like date format were strictly Chinese, and things like drivers and media conversion software
were just flat missing.

My idea for a gen 8 A5IT?

I'd start by doubling the memory to 512M, a processor bump and whatever Google thinks is needed
for at least a couple of minor revs or one major rev of Andriod in terms of HW features, the G receiver,
and fix whatever HW issues have been found in the current run of devices. A fix for the browser cause
a 500GB device deserves a better file manager (and at least be able to reasonably support the large
storage subsystem). I see no reason that two micro SDHC devices could not be supported, and it's
reasonable to assume that one would be for enhancement, while the other device used for transient
data. An onboard camera above and beyond your basic pinhole (flash, zoom, etc) or a USB mountable
camera with more features as an optional device.

With the right setup, it could be used as a camera or a webcam.....

I'd probably be willing to hack on an android 2.2 A5IT assuming I could pickup a SD16/32 cheap enough
not notice if it blows up or dies after several months of testing, while I would not with the
A5IT with 500GB disk I've already found heavily discounted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why didnt thet just an gen8 of archos 5 it that would have solve every problem for me... cuz canrt deside the archos 5 got a realy nice screen but not froyo.... and archos 43 got froyo but not big screen enough =/...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi folks

OpenAOS has released Froyo alpha5 yesterday.
Great work!!
I have installed a triple boot system on my IT5 and everything works fine.
Froyo gets more and more functionality with each release and you can decide whether to use original Archos OS or play with Froyo.

Greetz

Zaphord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Zaphord wrote:
Hi folks

OpenAOS has released Froyo alpha5 yesterday.
Great work!!
I have installed a triple boot system on my IT5 and everything works fine.
Froyo gets more and more functionality with each release and you can decide whether to use original Archos OS or play with Froyo.

Greetz

Zaphord

right gonna sound like a total noob ... how would I go about installing such a thing ? Is there an easy step by step somewhere I can follow if I try it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi total noob.

Do a Google search on OpenAOS and follow the bouncing ball.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

it is one file to download and install ? or 2 or 3 file?????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ok, I did your Google search for you. Here's the first link I came up with:

http://www.openaos.org/

Here's the second:

http://dev.openaos.org/

Here's the third:

http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/Android

HTH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i wouldnt say everything basic is working for dialy usage

the main problem for now is mp3 support ;)

and off course headphone support!

then its realy gonna be useable!

is it prerooted? (fully? not like donut with root @every startup?)

then its gonna be good enough to do more then testing start using it ;)

and if they really do android 2.3 (for n900 switch to gingerbread semed to be very easy ;) i'd say its best device ever in this size ;) concerning price and features ;)

till now they rock
tomorrow they could be our champions =) when they to the magic, create staple and everyday version of froyo or may be gingerbread!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@li8w8

That's not right, the main problem is the headphone and the mounting of the SDcard.

You don't have to use Foyo's MP3 feature. Use for example a standalone Player like VPlayer. Plays all MP3 and Videos, but doesn't fix the headphone issue :( .

AND: don't ask questions for features of OpenAOS, look at their website and ask them instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@geemacd and @yossi2010

You can look at http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen7?version=36
It's a detailed description how to install.
You may realize: This is nothing for total noobs :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ok, so how is it that the Archos 7 internet tablet gets android 2.1 and the Archos 5 internet tablet stays as 1.6? http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archo ... us&lang=en

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

To be honest with you, I'd love to have 2.2 on my A5A IT, but "latest and greatest" thinking aside, I don't really see what of significance I would gain from 2.x. I have a 43IT with 2.2 installed and there are some nice tweaks to the UI but nothing that I can see (so far) that is a dealbreaker for me. Speed for me is a non-issue. I really can't detect a difference between the 43 and the 5.

Can anyone here who's installed Froyo on a 5 comment on whether or not there is a significant performance boost as a result of having done so?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 14 Next