Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I would rather compare it with 1 year-old model of laptop computer that you are not able to upgrade from Windows Vista because company did not bother to issue new drivers for Windows 7.
More than that, they just started to produce slightly different motherboards with the same processor and with Windows 7 drivers there totally ignoring ÔÇ£foolsÔÇØ that bought their device just few months ago.
If only DELL, ACER, ASUS or HP would do such thing to their customers, these companies would lose their reputation forever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The car analogy is a futile one. There is no direct correlation between a car and the Gen 7 Tablet because a car is a significantly more complex mix of hardware and software - none of which are singularly responsible for the performance of the vehicle.
What we're talking about is software here. This update would significantly improve the device that it is loaded on in every conceivable way. As I've mentioned in one of my previous comments, the precedent has been set by other manufacturers on much older hardware. There is hardware being sold as new right now that just barely cover the specs of the Archos 5 IT. I hope that Archos has not abandoned the device, but if they have, that's their prerogative. Mine runs great, even with the minor limitations that Android 1.6 provides. I'll wait on the OpenAOS project for 2.2 If Archos doesn't provide it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Look to tell the things as they and not beat around the bush.
The android 1.6 is a problematic OS especially on tablets that doesn't fully utilize the available hardware almost all manufacturers that sold devices based on that OS have supported their customers and upgraded to 2.x platforms. Manufacturers like LG and Motorola and Dell even the lowly Nook will get an official froyo update.
So I will sell my a5it after 2 months and will not purchase a gen8 because I am definite that when everybody will be upgrading to 2.3 or 3.0 Archos will be the only manufacturer stuck on their release OS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So what do you buy a device for? To keep messing with the operating system? Or to use its functionality?

Well, I now have a Froyo device, an A101. It's ok. But its functionality is limited compared to my 3 A5ITs.

You guys are typical of people involved in another old hobby of mine - photography. Some forum users spent all their time talking about camera specs, and the theory of photography. Other people took pictures.

Get a life. Or a Gen 8 device. Or anything but an Archos. Whatever ...

Just please stop moaning.

Jeez ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Fully agreed sweetypie. My argument basically, is that it would be nice to have 2.2, but I love the device as it is right now too. I most certainly don't feel like Archos owes me an upgrade to it either, nor do I understand the people that do. I bought it for what it can do currently, not what it potentially do in the future with upgrades.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Stop moaning about our moaning. And I use my A5IT every day. And I upgrade my PC OS regularly to enjoy the increased functionality on my older hardware. And maybe the 101 functionality is limited because Archos decided to take a step backwards with their new models. And your constant return to moan about moaning illustrates your need to get a life as well. So, there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think we can all agree that it would be nice to have an official, stable update to FroYo and then Honeycomb. Archos has not announced that we will or that we will not. It merely clutters the forum to restate the first or complain about the second.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

sweetiepie :

Quote:
Most of what you quote are not bugs.

You need to add "in my opinion" to your statement. In MY opinion, unlike yours, the three items I listed are most definitely bugs.

As for the 35K limit in particular, I suggest that you start looking for something in the owners manual specifying that there is a limit - there is nothing that I can find.

In fact, if you go to http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/index.html?country=us&lang=en you will find the following statement :

Quote:
With storage sizes reaching up to 500 GB, your ARCHOS 5 internet tablet can store up to 600 movies, 290,000 songs or 5 million photos. No need to be frugal, store everything on your ARCHOS.

As for the other two items, it is ridiculous to say that system lock-ups and features not working don't qualify as bugs.

I really wish that you would quit saying that there is nothing wrong with the A5A just because in your limited use of it you aren't finding the same bugs that numerous other people on this forum are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hmm what if archos is screwing with us for fun by not telling us if we will or will not get 2.2 :shock: hmm hmm hmm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rfs wrote:
In fact, if you go to http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/index.html?country=us&lang=en you will find the following statement :

Quote:
With storage sizes reaching up to 500 GB, your ARCHOS 5 internet tablet can store up to 600 movies, 290,000 songs or 5 million photos. No need to be frugal, store everything on your ARCHOS.
That's just it. Store everything. Prior discussions on this topic have noted that it is certainty possible to store all these, it's just a matter of AMC indexing and allowing the user to flip/browse through using tags and such. You always have the file browser, one song at a time option.

And yes. Bugs are subjective. They are things that "bug" you. So yeah, these things bug you, so they are bugs... at least, that's what I think, in my "opinion."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am reallly really coming in late to the game. I got my a5/500 to replace my 5IMT. Both of which I purchased at way way too cheap. I am a novice here, but not with Archos. I still have my 404/30 504/80 604/30 605-Wifi 5IMT, 7HT and my new A101/16. The thing I have learned with Archos are three core elements
1. It takes about 4+ firmware builds before the unit settles into a really good unit
2. Archos is always has been about control. Why else has the battle over modding firmware to stop User discovered fixes and "jailbreaking" attempts
3. When the prices start to drop, this indicates EOL (End of Life) not end of support for Archos units.

I could care less whether there is a 35K limit in the ARC. I find it easier to just use the folder manager to choose the Vids or music. What really is helpful is just using m3u files.
I know everyone here knows this, but I have to repeat GEN7 is NOT Gen6 and Gen7 is NOT Gen8.

Froyo is great, Froyo is wonderful. But in two months, it will be Gingerbread is great, or Honeycomb is great. It never ends. I expect Gen8 to provide support for my new 101 for Honeycomb. But while Google states there is no CPU or Memory limitation stated on Either 2.3/2.4, I do not expect Archos to just continue dev for EOL products. I do expect support.

Sorry for the blather, I am just trying to put it in perspective. I think 1.6 will be the best the A5 will have. But, as a supermod I am amazed how horrid the Shanzai. units are in comparison to my A5/500.

I just hope for 2.2 but do not have not any worries. my A5 is better than many of the units being sold for much more than the $250US I paid for my A5 on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

We need to stop all of this wishful thinking cause it not going to happen! As a business perspective they are going to concentrate on whats new and leave us in the dust to rot.. Just like the did with the older products. They are simply not going to update something that is old to them and new to others. either way my 5it will have 2.2. live and let die! Archos has whats coming to them. Failure!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Gen 8 does not have half of the hardware that gen 7 does. other company's are beginning to have more features. if you are thinking about archos wait and see by April. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

As the gen 6 a5 and a7 got their most recent firmware upgrade in september 2010, well after gen 7 was on sale and well after these devices were no longer in production, its highly likely that there will be at least one more firmware upgrade but whether that will be a change to froyo...I think that's less likely. I hope it happens though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

something that confuses me about archos:
just looked up archos.com and went to "store" and saw the a5it fo sale (in germany the 500gig model costs 399Ôé¼ if you buy it from archos).

last year it wasnt listed in the store anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So... When are people going to start posting rumors, speculations and facts again? I've been fallowing this thread sense about the time it started, and all it has done is become more and more a griping place about how it would suck if Archos didn't release froyo or how annoying it is that people can't appreciate their products. I use forums like this for getting information about products I have. When I read through a thread with a topic like this, it's really hard to find the information I'm looking for when the thread is filled with all of this squabbling. For example, say the opensource guys get froyo working and someone who has an A5IT wants to load it on their archos. If they are browsing through the forum looking for the solution but the thread that looks promising is filled with useless information, they could very easily overlook the important posts. Then that person would have to ask what is known about the situation which always results in someone yelling at them for not taking the time to read through every single post (as if they had all the time in the world).
Now, I hate to be hypocritical and make this post that does not protein to the topic, but maybe people will understand what I'm trying to say and stop posting how much they hate Archos for not supporting their devices (and every other complaint that does not move the thread forward) and wait for someone with useful information on the topic to post.
Thank you for listening to my rant,

-Dood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well the Archos 7 tablet just got an update to android 2.1. It's not 2.2 but maybe we can have hope that some of that firmware will make it's way towards the 5IT?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BCruz wrote:
Well the Archos 7 tablet just got an update to android 2.1. It's not 2.2 but maybe we can have hope that some of that firmware will make it's way towards the 5IT?

Umm when

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

apparently that 2.1 upgrade is still in the fuzzy subspace between being really out and just mentioned. If you look at the Archos 7 Home Tablet (aka the 7" screen version of our 5's) there's a button that says "Compare Home VS Internet Tablet" and when you click that a window comes up with a side by side comparison of the two 7" devices and when it comes to the OS, it says the home tablet can run 1.6 or 2.1. So guess its out... just not everywhere yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

IMO, Archos has been a niche pmp/smart device maker. The bad PR over support drove the company to finally support the gen5 tablets with firmware (but only to a point.. 15 or so updates). Many of these updates were to fix problems that threatened their limited market share and high (historic) prices asked for the device (they dont' update it out of kindness to EXISTING CUSTOMER BASE). Several times, I almost bought the Archos 5.. but the price always seemed too high (300+ for a 16gb flash, hundreds more for HD versions).. then the handwriting was on the wall about EOL.. and hints of android getting flash 10.1 which is a compatability evolution. This is nothing new. It should be known that flash 10.1 needs (about 800mhz) & 256mb+RAM to operate successfully w/o glitching. That's why devices at or below 600mhz (non-overclocked) will have issues.

So, the problem for o/s hackers are (at least) two fold: 1. overclocking the archos5 to the MAX/WALL, 2. squeezing the o/s into the limited architecture of the archos 5 (if that's even possible). Many tablets w/ less than 256mb of RAM seem to max out at android 2.1. Several new tablets going on the market in 2011 will have 512+MB of RAM (800mhz+ CPU). I dunno, with memory compression, overclocking.. you'd probably have a very ratty hack getting it to do 2.2, if at all. Would you want your device to die (prematurely) by pushing it to do something it probably shouldn't be doing? I've seen tablet reviews of 500, 600mhz w/ android 2.2 (albeit 256mb ram) and they are supposedly sluggish. No doubt high res video in flash is to blame. This is a somewhat reasonable explanation as to why some *OLDER* devices will be orphaned for updates as android develops.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next