Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nyteshade8 wrote:
All I really want to be able to do on my Archos 5 is to use the HDD to free up memory for the OS...in short I need to find a work around to get Apps2sd working on it... it is a gen 7 archos 5 500gb... Does anyone have a solution?

Closest I have come is to install Watchdog Lite and to use it to backup my programs to the SD card/HDD. I can then uninstall the application to free up system memory for others. Then, when I want to use the application, I can uninstall something else and re-install the application I want using WL. It's not a perfect solution, but it allows me to shuffle between apps without a wi-fi connection and without having to re-configure evertyhing (though it does not ALWAYS work...).

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yep I have a app backup that puts it on the HDD with the restore function but I was hoping to be able to free up more system space for this kind of thing. This is functionality they should have built in right of the bat.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

srawat_itpro wrote:
paulus3476 wrote:
It has already been catagorically stated that the A5 will never be updated beyond v1.6. If Archos do a u-turn on this decision it will be the 1st time in the 7 yrs I have owned Archos products

Has it been stated somewhere that they do not have an upgrade plan in mind officially by Archos? AFAIK, it's the absence of any official statement for long time that led everyone to believe that there is no upgrade path.

Rgds
Sandy

AFAIK, Archos has never made any official comments one way or the other.
The fact that we just got another update from Archos always gives hope!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why are people so sure that it wont be updated? Is it an issue with specs or something?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I thought I heard somewhere that any android version under 2.1 has been found to have a massive security hole fixed with a upgrade to 2.2. Wouldn't that be enough to make Archos give us a upgrade path ? This came out in the last week I'm pretty sure but not certain.

BTW just came back from a 10 day road trip with the 5it and it did everything I asked it to except Flash :cry: Movies on this thing are amazing.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

MothersBadSon wrote:
I thought I heard somewhere that any android version under 2.1 has been found to have a massive security hole fixed with a upgrade to 2.2. Wouldn't that be enough to make Archos give us a upgrade path ? This came out in the last week I'm pretty sure but not certain.

BTW just came back from a 10 day road trip with the 5it and it did everything I asked it to except Flash :cry: Movies on this thing are amazing.

Rick

You are probably thinking about the big fuss in the last few weeks about insecure tokens for Picasa, Calendar and Contacts. It affects all Android versions below 2.3.4 (Gingerbread sub-version?), and is being fixed for the most part (Picasa still an issue) on the server side by Google, so that is not our ticket to FroYo (or Gingerbread, but that is more for phones than tablets anyway, so Honeycomb/3.x is the logical next step from 2.2 for any kind of tablet, and that is probably too hardware demanding for the 5 AIT).

See http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/18/goog ... x-rolling/

R

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

They replied with this for my Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Donut 1.6

"The reason that you are getting this error is because a lot of sites, such as
YouTube, have upgraded to Flash 10 and this unit utilizes Flash 9 Lite. Adobe has
not updated Flash Lite beyond what is available already on your unit in quite some
time and because of this we are unable to provide an updated version of Flash to
broaden the online video playback of the device. When Adobe releases an updated
version of Flash lite we can adapt this to a firmware update for the unit which
can be installed from our website or through the wifi connection on your device.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you,
Brian D
Archos Technical Support "

I sent this Jan 31st of this year. I've been sitting on this message, hoping that would make this device the best thing for me, I'd enjoy this Archos 5 way way more. Also it would make me purchase plugins and such but I'm afraid to since this thing seems obsolete I don't want to spend anymore than I already have. This was expensive and it was playing them for a short while before Flash 10, and I might need this thing to play them for school purposes, save me money on buying something else to work around issues with this. I hate it when people ask things about Youtube or other flash videos and I say "Uh the video won't work on this... or I can't go back" and they just go what the hell? Lol it's really embarrassing if ya ask me anyone else get that?

It's been 3 years since I had this thing not playing flash and I think a new version of Flash Lite came out awhile ago for all handheld things, maybe an excuse I'm not sure. I think Flash Lite 4 is the newest or is that for Flash 9 videos still? Wouldn't it be good to have at least flash lite working for flash 10 videos instead of Froyo even. This is crazy though I bought this thing so long ago and it hasn't done what it's supposed to, only way I play flash 10 videos is using the Youtube App which works 60% of the time and has problems when you try to skip ahead or back in videos. Any other site using any sort of flash obviously no go... I do believe Adobe did upgrade it for android phones, this seems strange unless Archos working on it right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I see on the OpenAOS.org that most of the recent entries are either toward gen8 or about ubuntu. Kills me to say it.. but I believe that the joke on Openaos is clear - 'Milestone Android 2.2 the unlikely'

R.I.P Archos!!! :( :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, I didn't want a MAC tablet product and the pads so I tried something different and I got shafted I guess, if Archos has abandoned this Flash update and OpenAOS cancelled this Froyo, I won't be trying this again... They won't be getting anymore moneys from me either, I'm not going to spend so much on a whole new unit when they abandoned this one pretty damn fast. How rude can they be, such a slap in the face bah done with this crap then and that e-mail I got from them blaming on Adobe I think is a automated lie this isn't good for my schooling either...

UPDATE: They gave me their answer, we won't be seeing anything from them, look at their latest message I asked them why they were selling a unit named 48 Internet Tablet with Donut still and why mine can't play flash, and they said the 48 can't play flash either but don't tell people it can't, they made a new one and sell it?

"The Archos 48 Internet Tablet is running Android 1.6, just as the Archos 5
Internet Tablet is. Adobe Flash requires a minimum of Android 2.2, so this has not
changed for the Archos 48 Internet Tablet. The two units are essentially the same
device with the exception that the Archos 48 Internet Tablet doesn't have GPS
functionality.

The only models we have currently that are running Android 2.2 is our current
generation of products, Gen 8. For a closer look at our Gen 8 products, please see
the links below:

Archos 10.1 Internet Tablet:
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archo ... us&lang=en

Archos 7.0 Internet Tablet:

Archos 4.3 Internet Tablet:

Archos 3.2 Internet Tablet:

Archos 2.8 Internet Tablet:

Thank you,
Tony H
Archos Technical Support"

Scam artists it seems now, they most likely could solve this issue and they choose not to due to Gen 8s, that's terrible and I'm not talking about having Froyo but just a flash solution even an app that could be put into the browser, or a new browser I can't see this being impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is a real shame. No more Archos products for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

... and none with 500 GB as far as I can see ... [-X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All I found was a work around for Youtube flash videos (for now until maybe they change flash again) to work on my A5IMT but that is it. Nothing else flash works still is a headache, I don't watch so much of Youtube, that is why I was angry that they wouldn't make an app or browser that would solve the flash issue because an app I got works with my unit... they made excuses using Adobe as an issue. I took an app off a person's android phone (A new Sony Smartphone) just before he upgraded to Froyo from 1.6 and the app works with the Archos and plays Youtube vids. If anyone wants I'll surely send it for this unfortunate situation, unless it's already been suggested or is easy to get the app you could get it off someone, dunno? I myself couldn't find anything over the net or both android markets that was compatible even, so I thought if a phone uses a Youtube app to play new flash vids on Donut 1.6 why can't the Archos 5 and sure enough success.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DarkReign27 wrote:
If anyone wants I'll surely send it for this unfortunate situation, unless it's already been suggested or is easy to get the app you could get it off someone, dunno? I myself couldn't find anything over the net or both android markets that was compatible even, so I thought if a phone uses a Youtube app to play new flash vids on Donut 1.6 why can't the Archos 5 and sure enough success.

If you still have this it would be much apprecitated.

Thanks
Damian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is not relating to Dburrin. Countless times I have given people a lot of my time on many forums and site like Youtube, etc. wanting files, support and such. All I expect is a thank you and I have gotten very few thank yous with the amount of stuff I have given and helped with over the years. Mostly no reply, total disrespect. I appreciate all that have said thank you, but I am done helping people, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I find this on a lot of sites, you post replies to peoples questions but in a majority of cases you get no thanks from the people you reply to. It seems that good manners no longer exists anywhere, its a shame the human race is degenerating to this level, and it is getting worse as the years go on.(inadequate parenting)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DarkReign27 wrote:
This is not relating to Dburrin. Countless times I have given people a lot of my time on many forums and site like Youtube, etc. wanting files, support and such. All I expect is a thank you and I have gotten very few thank yous with the amount of stuff I have given and helped with over the years. Mostly no reply, total disrespect. I appreciate all that have said thank you, but I am done helping people, sorry.

I wouldn't disagree with you, but I'm curious to know what provoked this statement? I read back a page in the thread to see if I could pick up an insult, an argument, or disrespect, but nothing. Especially not since your last post offering this solution, to which Dburrin responded, and politely said thanks.

Your offer seems kind, so why the (excuse me) rant? What did I miss?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This has nothing to do with the 3 posts above this, but I just wanted to mention:

Two of my posts from a year and a half ago (pg 5 & 6):

(......I had a nice friendly chat with an Archos tech yesterday and he said regarding the 5 IT (since the release of the new Gen 8's): an Android upgrade, Flash 10, any further support for current 5 IT or even a Gen8 5 IT is totally up in the air. He said there has been no word from Corporate regarding the future for the 5 IT. Not a good omen.)

(Yeah, well, you're obviously forgetting Archos history of abruptly cutting off support for previous product. When did they cut off updates for the 605WiFi? How about nearly 8 months BEFORE their next Gen product, the first Archos 5 was even released (the initial firmware date is usually a month or 2 before official release). So you expect any 5 IT upgrade will come at a time which minimizes impact upon Gen8? If that were true (and I do hope you're right) they would have done it with their best product to date at the time, the 605. But guess what? They didn't. If you want to believe they're going to continue to give us 5 IT owners nice meaty updates (again I really hope you're right and I'm wrong) you're free to do so, but I think not. Think about this: Which one of the new Gen 8's has the famous Archos DVR capability? How 'bout none. That's what set them apart from most PMP makers and guess what? They're obviously, for whatever reason, moving away from that. The 5 IT is the only current product that has DVR capability so either they are going to keep it for awhile as their single only product with DVR or they are going to abruptly dump it as they have in the past. IMHO.........)

I've been spending most of my time on the 7ht v2 forum but it seems that after a year and a half its obvious (despite that some members may have been annoyed at me for saying the above :doubt: ) I knew exactly what I was talking about. The 5it has been pretty much a dead product to Archos just as I had said.

Nevertheless, I still use both my 16 and 32 GB versions with Donut & GPS. They both work fine and I still enjoy using them especially with the ADW EX launcher with the "Iphonish" theme. Fast, smooth and slick looking. I've got the 7ht v2 with Birdie's Froyo and a new 70b with Honey and the fact that the 5it is stuck with Donut to me is really not that big of a deal. (Btw, install FREEdi Youtube Downloader and you can watch and download all the Youtube you want.) They still perform great and it would take a lot for me to even consider letting these go. IMHO, the 5it is one of the best units (for what they do) Archos ever made. Even though they may be dead to Archos, they still sing to me. If you still have one of these and they still look good and work good then.... "don't worry, be happy". :D

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thesaint wrote:
I find this on a lot of sites, you post replies to peoples questions but in a majority of cases you get no thanks from the people you reply to. It seems that good manners no longer exists anywhere, its a shame the human race is degenerating to this level, and it is getting worse as the years go on.(inadequate parenting)

Yeah it has been getting worse over very short time. It's technology or someth'n and like you said parenting lol funny topic to talk about here. Sorry if I seemed rude here lol was a bit upset since it happen three times on Youtube more recent, IMs and another forum.

jamie41 wrote:
I wouldn't disagree with you, but I'm curious to know what provoked this statement? I read back a page in the thread to see if I could pick up an insult, an argument, or disrespect, but nothing. Especially not since your last post offering this solution, to which Dburrin responded, and politely said thanks. Your offer seems kind, so why the (excuse me) rant? What did I miss?

Didn't have to with this site I think. I have helped a people over the years, I'd have to say since 2006 with giving them files for nothing or things I worked on for days for them and explaining how to edit things or just requests. I send it or help them, they don't help me if I asked for it. I send a few messages after about a few days to test them asking if a file is okay, no response. I spent cleaning up an audio file of a rare demo for someone, they didn't even say anything just took it, that ticked me right off. This is more recent stuff. I gave two people files for a game I edited for a week almost, they both gave no reply. I had one guy take an edit I made and didn't mention where he got it and acted like he made it, you know that junk? Girls, guys all the same on Youtube especially. Like "thesaint" said it is getting worse so I don't really want to do it anymore, I don't expect anything in return except a thank you and it's hard to come by apparently. Yes it's the internet but really a thank you isn't much, ya know and no excuse. They gain yer trust too over time until they get what they want and it gets very harsh, was taking it fer awhile wasn't smart I guess but I really still don't believe how far people act so nice and it's fake. Its just weird to me how someone does it and if I treat people how I want to be treated and these people step on ya for a few years, you feel done. Some can take it since it's the net but I still take that as an FU. Lol I know I sound kinda over dramatic and of course it is common but it's just terrible ha I'm more naive than most I guess. Thanks fer asking though didn't think anyone would be kind to me after the post I apologize people. Won't rant no more. :S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

when i tried contacting archos about getting a battery replacement they didnt want to know specially after warrenty all they want to do is get thier hands on my archos and hold it to ransom till i paid for ridiculously overpriced repairs or bought a new unit.

i find that archos still have the best media player/tablet on the market but thier customer service and software updates stinks

when i bought my archos 5it 160gb it was being advertised that it was gonna be final upgraded to the new froyo software for flash support after months and then over a year now still no software update tho i did notice as soon as i bought mine new devices were coming out with the new froyo ported on them and to top it off the gps and activation code didnt work same thing happend to that aswell archos didnt want to know

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14