Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 4:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello everyone! I just got my Archos 5 yesterday, and I'm loving the device so far! I do, however, seem to be having some small problems. I've tried to search and see if there were any answers to them and didn't find anything.

The first, and most important, is that I can't successfully run the "Market4Archos" file to install the android market. I've downloaded it from the thread in this forum several different times, on different networks, and no matter what I get the error message:

"Parse Error. There is a problem parsing the package."

My firmware is 2.0.38. I noticed that the thread in this forum was specifically for an earlier firmware, but I couldn't find a file for newer firmwares. Is this my problem?

My other problem is with ThinkFree Write. When I click on the ThinkFree Office icon on my home menu, it begins to load but then gives me this error message:

"Sorry! The application ThinkFree Office (process com.tf.thinkdroid.archos_Archos5) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

And from there I have to force close it. I have clicked the ThinkFree Office icon to try and activate the app on my device, but it fails with a similar error message, but for the application "ThinkFree Office."

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it! :)

EDIT: Just thought I would point out that I am downloading the market4archos file directly onto my archos, using Wi-fi internet, not tethering, as I haven't figured out how to just move files straight over to the device from my laptop yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re the market: make sure the file didn't get renamed with a .zip or something else extension. It should have a .apk extension; if it doesn't, change it and run it again. (You may need to download a better file manager such as AndExplorer or another from http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=List_of_Applications_tested_to_work#Archos_5A_file_managers)

I don't know that it's been tested on the very latest firmware, but it should work. This is not a major update from previous firmwares where it is confirmed to work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You likely have the parsing error because the file you downloaded is archived in a. zip. To fix that, download it via your PC with the ability to see file extentions.

If you notice the file has downloaded as market4archos.apk.zip, the extract the true within the zip.

If it shows as market4archos.zip, the rename it to market4archos.apk.

Not quite sure what's going on with your ThinkFree, you may need to uninstall it and then download and install the latest Firmware again. That will actually reinstall the thinkfree app again.

You could also simply uninstall the and reinstall it from its hidden location: available on your storage under System/APK but only accessible in USB MSC (hidden under MTP).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had the same problem with think free, but I managed to open files using the program (like with windows) instead of opening it first. don't know if this helps, but I can now open text files this way and read them

marcel