Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:30 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

We have been working with copilot to address the black screen issue on 3D firmwares. I have just been informed that latest version of copilot pushed on android market by ALK is now compatible with Archos 2.0.xx firmwares.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This sounds pretty good, but you guys might need them to keep at it, we were just discussing how it has audio issues on the A5A viewtopic.php?p=236264#p236264

I expressed some thoughts as to what may be going on, but I'm certain there's more to it and I may be a bit off as well. I do believe I'm on to something though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So the Archos A5IT is now on the ALK compatibility list? And supported by ALK? That's nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:52 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

we have reproduced the sound issue thanks for reporting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

compatible Ôëá compatibility list

compatible Ôëá supported

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh blah blah blah.

Last edited by sweetypie on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bragon wrote:
we have reproduced the sound issue thanks for reporting.

That's good news, glad to be of some assistance...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh blah blah blah. (x2)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, I guess I'm the only one, but it's a mystery. No matter how I install v8.2.0.218, I just cannot get it to save anything. It plots a route ok, but when I try to "set" a Home destination, it doesn't save it. The same goes for "Recent" - blank page. Also "Favourites" - blank page. No matter what I set, it isn't saved.

I've installed both versions, the one on the Market, and the one on their website (the Market version asks for the Google checkout number - the website one asks for the product licence number).

I've uninstalled the current version before installing version 8.2.0.218.

I've deleted the whole Copilot folder before installing (which means downloading the maps again).

Finally, I re-formatted my drive, re-installed FW V2.0.28. Then installed Copilot as the first app.

Still nothing saved.

So now I'm back to FW 1.9.xx, and Copilot 8.0.0.735, my trusty old reliable version.

Sigh...

Still, at least I can hear the sound now.

EDIT: Now that the "Froyo" version of Copilot has been around for a while, there are loads of complaints about it on the Market, including people with this non-saving problem - so not just me now.

Last edited by sweetypie on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

well sweetypie, i could "recommend" you to install Cygic, but i already know you don't want to, so hang in there man, Archos will make it right someday ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks silvio (I get it) but the truth is, the Archos GPS has been so bad for so long that I don't use it in earnest any more. I use my Nokia phone, which performs perfectly. I only use the Archos occasionally as a curiosity, to see if it works yet.

I'm raising the issue in case there is anyone else having the same problem, but is too shy to post. Maybe they won't feel so alone.

As I said previously, I won't waste any more money buying apps which will never work well because the hardware is so poor. I bought NDrive when I first got the Archos, last November, but only really because the full licence was included in the Archos package when I bought it. Strangely, the GPS performed ok for me, to beging with. With successive FW updates the GPS performance deteriorated. So I bought Copilot because it's cheap, I was curious, and I thought it might help. Visually, Copilot is a far superior product to NDrive, but it's still limited by the poor GPS.

My only remaining long term hope for the GPS performance is for Archos to release a 2.xx version of Android, which will include the Bluetooth protocols which should allow someone to write a routine to enable the use of an external BT GPS device, of which I have several.

Having said all that, although I can't rely on the Archos GPS, and so don't use it in earnest, I'd still like to solve this technical problem of not saving anything.

How come others don't have the same problem? My Archos isn't even rooted any more - apart from the Market "Patch", it's bog standard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sometimes the device's config files get corrupted over time or on a FW install/upgrade.

Whenever I get voodoo issues like that, a few rounds of 'Delete device config' and test or even the occasional 'Full reinit' (in case it's a corrupted data file for an app) fixes everything.

At least that's worked reliably for me.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi michael.

I don't know if you missed the part where I said I finally did the ultimate re-init, I re-formatted the whole drive. So no data files left at all - everything created from scratch, and Copilot the first app to be installed after the re-format, so no other files to interfere with Copilot.

Exactly the same result.

The strange thing is, there is an icon "My Places" in Copilot. When you install it from scratch, and haven't used it, the icon "My Places" is a plain icon. After you've entered a destination and saved it, either Home or Favourites, a little flag shows in the middle of the icon, to show there are entries in My Places.

In my case, the flag shows, but there is nothing showing in those categories. So I'm guessing that things are being stored, but can't be displayed for some reason.

Hmm...

The thing is, I now have such a "pure" installation, I just can't understand why no-one else has this problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I did read that. And I suggested doing 'Delete device config' and test as a loop. Sometimes I've had to do it as many as six times in succession to get a perfect, fully functional and stable config.

To anticipate your reply, yes, I agree that this shouldn't be necessary, reconstructing the device config once should be enough and, to be fair, most of the time, once is usually enough. But practically, if it didn't take, just keep doing it and it will eventually (if you've not got some kind of HW fault or something else out of the ordinary, of course) work.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks. I think I'll wait a while.Reformatting my hard drive and re-installing software took all day yesterday. I still don't have some apps set up fully yet, and I still haven't copied back my music, films, ebooks etc. It's getting harder and harder to do all that every time I wipe all my apps.

I think deleting all the Copilot files about 6 times, and reinstalling even more times, plus a complete format, is enough for now. I've gone back to fw 1.9.21 and Copilot 8.0.0.735, which works ok. Unless Archos acknowledge this problem, unlikely if I'm the only one experiencing it, I guess I'll stick with what works (or works as well as the GPS will allow).

At least Archos has fixed the sound problem - it's actually noticeably louder on mine now.

One consolation - NDrive seems to be working better now. It's performing a bit like it did in the beginning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
My Archos isn't even rooted any more
I thought "rooted" was a one-way trip? Does a full reinitialization un-root this thing? If not, what does?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos: 2.0.21
CoPilot: 8.2.0.218

Mine saved all of the data and settings from the previous installs.
Saves new favorites without issues.

I do have the audio cutoff issue.

Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I finally found someone else reporting the same problem. So not only me. Others reporting "many bugs", but not specifying what the bugs are - maybe this "bug" included, who knows?

There are 2 "sound" problems, over the past few months.

One problem is with the Archos FWs, the speaker has been too quiet.

The other has been with some of the Copilot releases, cutting off some of the words.

The complication now is that, with 1.9.xx FWs and 2.0.xx FWs, some Copilot releases only work with some FWs - you need to match them, and choose the right Copilot to go with the appropriate FW.

Shambles.

EDIT 1:

@pastera

You've not tried the latest FW 2.0.28 then? The one which fixes the speaker volume?

EDIT 2:

I guess I should have said that, to install 8.2.0.218, I went from FW 1.9.xx to FW 2.0.28. So my comments relate to this latest FW. I really only updated the FW because of the Speaker Volume Improvement, and thought I might as well update Copilot as well. But, since the speaker volume has also been improved in the corresponding 1.9.21, and I don't need OpenGL, I guess I'm ok with Copilot 8.0.0.735 - no sound issues at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos Fw 2.0.28
Copilot live 8 ver 8.2.0.218
(Considering that we use GPS software while driving) Copilot 8 works just fine through internal FM transmitter,no (chopped, cutoff) voice issues, no volume issues, good sound quality ! Hope that helps, of course you'll need the Archos charger cable in order to enable internal FM transmitter, in my area got the best reception on 98.1 FM ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@chris1960

Are you saying that you get the choppy voice, cutoff etc, when playing through the internal speaker, but don't get it when you play it through the FM Transmiter?