Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hooking Up To Car Stereo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys, is there anyway to hook up the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet with Android to your car, so you can play it from the stereo? Thanks for any replies and answers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what car?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It's not a great system I am sorry to say, it needs a signal from the headphones to act as the Antenna for the transmitter to work, I tried this before and the signal was very weak and pathetic so best of look. I have a cheap Garmin that does the job 100% and without problems, no firmware helped and using the Archos for that purpose is a waste on time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hook up how? The more info you give, the more helpful we can be. (Hopefully).

Ie my car stereo has an aux in and works fine with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yes there are several ways to do this (in order of preference):

0) If you have or are willing to, buy a bluetooth a2dp receiver or a car radio that comes equipped with one. Pair your Archos to it. Profit.
1) If your car has AUX in, then just plug Archos headphones out to Aux in. Profit.
2) If you car has a cassette player, then use a cassette adapter and plug it into your Archos. Profit.
3) If you don't have the Car mount, buy a cheap stereo FM transmitter and plug that in. Don't worry about the Archos built-in one. Profit.
4) If you have a Car mount, try the Archos FM transmitter. You may profit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

0) If you have or are willing to, buy a bluetooth a2dp receiver or a car radio that comes equipped with one. Pair your Archos to it. Profit.
1) If your car has AUX in, then just plug Archos headphones out to Aux in. Profit.
2) If you car has a cassette player, then use a cassette adapter and plug it into your Archos. Profit.
3) If you don't have the Car mount, buy a cheap stereo FM transmitter and plug that in. Don't worry about the Archos built-in one. Profit.

Except that the Car mount won't give you the same sound quality then the AUX IN. The sound quality with the Car Mount passing through the FM receiver is so so compare to the AUX in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Fragmate wrote:

Except that the Car mount won't give you the same sound quality then the AUX IN. The sound quality with the Car Mount passing through the FM receiver is so so compare to the AUX in.

+1
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere using an FM xmitter just doesn't work in the US, or is such a pain that you are frustrated all the time ... AUX in unless you don't have one, if you're going to change out the radio, it seems buying one with a USB input is far, far better then you can just put the music on a USB and you're all set with no charging BS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i have tried all the above and have found bluetooth by far the best -reasons

you can control the archos without having to mess with touchscreen controls whilst driving
i found that if it was charging at the same time , I could hear faint interference if conected to the in car stereo by a wire ie aux in or cassette adapter and as already stated fm is very hit and miss ,bluetooth quality is excellent .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I forgot to mention that it was in decreasing order of preference...