One correction. Open GL takes the graphics load off the CPU/graphics chip and puts it onto the DSP instead. So the CPU has less to do, not more.
The point I was trying to make is only that the more graphics processing which has to be done, the longer it will take to get the end product on the screen, irrespective of which particular component does the processing.
As I said, Copilot has more sophisticated graphics than any other similar app I've seen. And those graphics have increased in complexity with each update. The weak GPS signal hasn't changed for me. NDrive hasn't changed much since I bought the Archos.
I agree with the first three posters here, but the poor GPS performance has been consistent since its launch, and widely reported in these forums. Having said that, the peformance has not been poor for everyone all the time. So the other point I was trying to make is that, if you actually want a solution (assuming that you are one of those few people for whom there is a solution for you), you need to be careful about whom to identify your problem with.
For michael.archos it "Worked perfect up until 2.0.15", so his solution is obvious:
"Doctor, doctor, my head hurts when hit it against the wal".
"Well, don't hit it against the wall then".
So michael.archos is one of those lucky ones. His GPS is perfect. It's only the Archos FW which is to blame.
zooswanko has a totally non working GPS unit. I would return it to the retailer, Or I would have tested it and done that while I was able to, (in case he's had it for months and is only testing it now).
I'm not altogether sure from Herby's post if he's really tested it properly. I think it needs to be tested on the road, actually moving, and with a proper SatNav application. Recently I drove off from home, having started the Copilot app, and entered my destination. I had no signal when I left, and I got fed up with looking at the Copilot map showing nothing, so I changed the display to the "Satellites" view instead. Nothing on any of the 10 columns. Suddenly, still with nothing showing on any of the 10 satellite columns, Emma's voice suddenly put in an appearance, telling me there was a turn coming up. This was about 30 to 40 minutes after I had started my journey (and had filled up with petol on the way, leaving the GPS turned on). So the GPS Satellites signal strength "meter" lied to me. I did have a signal and the signal was strong enough to get a 3D fix. The "metering" app just didn't report it properly. Sure enough, when I switched back to the map display, everything was shown, road, arrow, overhead signage, the lot.
So, for best results, I would recommend people use it with the simplest "proper" SatNav app, expect it to take much longer than other devices, start it in the car using the car kit (with car power supply), and wait until it gets a fix before moving off. Failing that, don't be surprised if it takes a while to work properly.
Oh, and lobby Archos for bluetooth support for external GPS devices. That has transformed my Nokia N97, which has exactly the same weak GPS problem.