Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A good VOIP app would take up very little memory, run all the time in the background, offer to keep the Archos in active and connected standby all the time, pinging the server to also keep a Mifi or Bluetooth tethering connection active at all times. This screen off, active and online standby, I don't know for sure, but I think it should be able to last 15 hours on a battery as the screen is the main power consuming factor.

This would then enable the Archos to turn on the screen and ring on incoming calls.

A good VOIP app would work on SIP, Google Voice, Skype. All combined.

Anyone tested some Bluetooth headsets that seem to work fine with VOIP apps? Any of those Bluetooth headsets have the answer button that works with the VOIP apps?

Current VOIP apps that I heard about for Android:
Fring
SIPagent
SIPdroid
Nimbuzz
Gizmo5 (not available since Google bought it, they must be preparing real VOIP based Google Voice app)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'd settle for a functional Skype VoIP client that worked as well as the current Skype digital dial-up apps do. Fring doesn't work half as well as the current Skype apps, but those are hobbled to only work via digital transmission over phone networks so that carriers can charge for the minutes used as a phone call.

Skype's codec is the real special sauce that makes that app sound so good. I'm hoping for either a real Skype VoIP app or a rival app (Google Voice) with a new equivalent codec.

I'll probably grab a NotionInk Adam tablet when it ships and it is an ideal VoIP/Video chat device except for the lack of a really good app to put all that nice hardware to work. And regular old voice calls on that A5A in my pocket would be very nice as well... ;)

Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 am 

Don't expect to see an official Skype program that works on anything other than Verizon based Android systems for quite some time.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yup, they've got an exclusivity agreement in the 'States, at least for now. Thankfully, I'm not in the 'States ;) , but that might still be a hindrance to getting a real VoIP app out to the rest of the world.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

www.5linx.net/mnm

click on Globalinx

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was fortunate enough to grab a Gizmo5 account before Google bought them out. I am currently using SIPDroid to call through Gizmo5 (which is linked to my Google Voice acct) enabling free calls nationally. The quality is great over wifi, and rather good when theathered to my cell with 3G. It does take a bit to get the earpiece volume set correctly to avoid echo. I haven't tried any bluetooth headsets, but am anxious to purchase one and use it in conjunction with this set-up. SIPDroid runs in the background, and is light on memeory in my experiance. When someone calls it will wake the screen and rings my selected tone. Overall i am very satisfied with this combo, but i cant wait to get a native GV app with VOIP.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yea, I was using SipDroid a while ago too. It seemed to work fine with Gizmo5 routed through pbXes. I don't know why pbxes was necessary (I just followed a tutorial). It didn't seem to work with just a GIzmo5 account.

I only installed it to try it out thought. I only made about 3 calls with it and most of the time it worked fine. You just had to set the volume really low to avoid echo. I didn't want to pay the $30 bucks/month for incoming calls and I never call anyone so the app was not useful for me. But it does work. Just takes some setting up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

FWIW, I picked up my A5IT a few days ago. I'm really enjoying it. I've played with several SIP clients in the past couple of days and am really liking 3cxphone. It is the replacement for Sipagent. The interface is pretty nice except for the logo, but it's free. I don't know how it compares to Sipagent but besides that it works* it has an audible ringer. Seems it rings only one time, but this should be sufficient. It's a lot better than ringing no times.

To be clear, it rings once and maintains the incoming call until you answer or it goes to voicemail. Not to be confused with giving you only one ring and no time to answer the call. I'm using it in conjunction with Google Voice. On one A5IT, Sipgate provides the backbone. On the other, we have Ipkall with Iptel -- a less favorable solution for me but Sipgate registration is bonkers since Lifehacker featured an article on using their service w/GV.

A search didn't show me anything about 3cxphone here, so I hope I didn't miss a post in A5IT.

*I haven't tested call quality b/c I didn't have anyone to call this time of night and my wife wasn't available to grab the other line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jupiterthunder wrote:
FWIW, I picked up my A5IT a few days ago. I'm really enjoying it. I've played with several SIP clients in the past couple of days and am really liking 3cxphone. It is the replacement for Sipagent. The interface is pretty nice except for the logo, but it's free. I don't know how it compares to Sipagent but besides that it works* it has an audible ringer. Seems it rings only one time, but this should be sufficient. It's a lot better than ringing no times.

To be clear, it rings once and maintains the incoming call until you answer or it goes to voicemail. Not to be confused with giving you only one ring and no time to answer the call. I'm using it in conjunction with Google Voice. On one A5IT, Sipgate provides the backbone. On the other, we have Ipkall with Iptel -- a less favorable solution for me but Sipgate registration is bonkers since Lifehacker featured an article on using their service w/GV.

*I haven't tested call quality b/c I didn't have anyone to call this time of night and my wife wasn't available to grab the other line.

I can verify that 3CXPhone works as a nice VoIP client on the A5IT, as does Fring. I am juggling both at the moment and each has a flaw. Fring doesn't have a ringtone on incoming calls so that's annoying. 3CXPhone rings once as you mentioned, but on outgoing calls it shows my sipgate number and not my Google Voice number. Fring gets this right. It seems this should be an issue with GV Dialer, but I'm using GV Dialer with both VoIP clients so it must be client-specific.

Each has a gap and the search for the perfect VoIP phone for the A5IT continues...

If anyone has a nice solution to either of these problems please post it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Exillis wrote:
I can verify that 3CXPhone works as a nice VoIP client on the A5IT, as does Fring. I am juggling both at the moment and each has a flaw. Fring doesn't have a ringtone on incoming calls so that's annoying. 3CXPhone rings once as you mentioned, but on outgoing calls it shows my sipgate number and not my Google Voice number. Fring gets this right. It seems this should be an issue with GV Dialer, but I'm using GV Dialer with both VoIP clients so it must be client-specific.

Each has a gap and the search for the perfect VoIP phone for the A5IT continues...

If anyone has a nice solution to either of these problems please post it!

I found the issue with incoming numbers. I noticed I was using up free minutes on sipgate (in other words, not going through Google Voice for outgoing calls!). I had to go back to this combination: GV Dialer + sipdroid + Google Voice. I could not use Fring or 3CXPhone to dial out through GV Dialer. Instead they'd go directly through sipgate.

That's too bad...GV Dialer/sipdroid works for outgoing/incoming but they look pretty ugly. GV Dialer in particular doesn't even have a keypad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

3CXPhone also works great for me with my voip provider. I can't seem to get the phonebook to work, however. Anybody know a way around this? It would be nice to not have to type in the number every time.