Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

...Not officially, anyway.

What's all this about?

Well, it seems we've causes a few gadget blogs to trip over their own feet and misreport that the A5A is now the first tablet to be allowed full Market access! It ain't true (yet?) but that never stopped a blogger from reporting it anyway... 8)

It worked like this... When FW 1.7.99 debuted, folks here on the forum running the Market Hack noticed that due to some under the hood change or other, they could suddenly buy paid apps with their hacked devices in the Android Marketplace and there was much rejoicing and even more reason to do the very simple and completely uninstallable Market Hack.

Then, one of the Blogs focused on small computing, Lilliputing (cute!), ran this story...

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/archos-5-internet-tablet-now-with-paid-apps-from-the-android-market.html

"Archos 5 Internet Tablet Now With Paid Apps From The Android Market", it announced, and, when you read the text of the story, credits us here on the Forum and explains the Market Hack before complaining that the A5A would be better if it had the build quality and CPU of the much more expensive Nexus One. I make similar complaints about my old Mustang not having the V12 engine out of a Ferrari and the fit and finish of a Rolls in spite of it being a fraction of the cost of those other cars, but I digress... :D

Then came Crunchgear...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/27/the-archos-5-internet-tablet-gets-access-to-android-markets-paid-apps/

"The Archos 5 Internet Tablet Gets Access To Android Market's Paid Apps", they tell us.

And, while crediting Liliputing and us, apparently they failed to do much more than glance at Liliputing's headline on some RSS feed, perhaps, before writing the story of how our little Archos tablet was pioneering the way by forcing Google's hand by being the first tablet to be allowed access to the full Android Marketplace! :shock: :lol:

From Crunchgear, Android and Me picked up the new version of the story, crediting Crunchgear and us again, but repeating the core of the (inaccurate) Crunchgear story and highlighting the 'pioneer' aspect of the story even further...

http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/the-archos-5-gains-access-to-the-full-android-market-paving-the-way-for-future-tablets/

"The Archos 5 Gains Access to the Full Android Market, Paving the Way for Future Tablets"! Er, from your lips to god's ears, but now? Not so much, no. :|

No doubt the story is bouncing around the echo chamber and will yield a few more stories based on stories based on stories before it's done, without any of them taking the time to verify the original source, even as they put the link to us in their stories.

Ah well, at least you and I know better because we hang out here, right? :D

Bloggers, please check your primary sources before reporting news and ask questions if things aren't clear. Journalism 101, guys. And maybe we all can remember that the next time we're reading a tech news blog to keep that pinch of salt handy... 8)

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

ohh man... How did you find all those links... Nice :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It sort of reminds me of playing telephone when I was little.

What? The Archos now has an Intel Atom and makes hot pockets?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've been so bold to post comments for the arcticles, telling them it's not supported, nor openly approved by Google.
Also, I've linked back to this thread, hoping to end the line of misinformation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Good luck, Jeez!

How many times is a "good" story worth more than good facts?

Did you hear the police raided the home of the Gizmodo editor, Jason Chen, over the proto iPhone? I hope he gets at least some jail time.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:24 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

At least I did my part :)

Famous quote from one of my childhood loved cartoons: "it never hearts to help" (secret: it always does)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:32 pm 

LOL this isnt the first time that this forum has been quoted / misquoted, we have been on the gadget forums a couple of times for various rumors and or hacks, it just shows how big this forum has become now that these publishers are using us to make articles. nice spot though...
thanks guys!
roy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys,

I'm the one who wrote the post over on Androidandme.com. As Jeez indicated he linked to this thread on our site and I'll get the post updated this morning. Sorry to hear it was a false alarm and hopefully I'll be able to report the actual official addition of the full market to your devices soon. I'll concede I could have followed up more, but after reading through several pages of the firmware thread there were numerous users reporting seeing the paid apps including some that indicated they had not rooted or hacked their devices which seemed convincing. I'll hit you guys up with questions next time.

Just to be sure I am getting the update correct can someone clarify whether users have to be rooted in order to see paid apps or is the Market Hack alone sufficient?

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:
...Not officially, anyway.

Quote:

Go map002!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Riles wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm the one who wrote the post over on Androidandme.com. As Jeez indicated he linked to this thread on our site and I'll get the post updated this morning. Sorry to hear it was a false alarm and hopefully I'll be able to report the actual official addition of the full market to your devices soon. I'll concede I could have followed up more, but after reading through several pages of the firmware thread there were numerous users reporting seeing the paid apps including some that indicated they had not rooted or hacked their devices which seemed convincing. I'll hit you guys up with questions next time.

Just to be sure I am getting the update correct can someone clarify whether users have to be rooted in order to see paid apps or is the Market Hack alone sufficient?

Sean

Rooting isn't needed, but getting the paid apps seems to be hit or miss (some get them, others don't)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got it, thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Riles wrote:
can someone clarify whether users have to be rooted in order to see paid apps or is the Market Hack alone sufficient?

The full Google Marketplace is installed by simply transfering a Market4Archos.apk file over USB or simply downloading it directly from the web to the Archos and opening it on the Archos using the built-in local file browser.

A few clicks and that's it, Google Marketplace works mostly just very fine. There might be a few RAM leakages as bugs in the way the Google Marketplace is currently unofficially hacked, which I expect will be fixed once Marketplace is included officially pre-installed on all Archos devices.

Paid apps did work with some previous firmwares but then they did require root and some further hacking. Now with the latest firmware, somehow, paid apps are supported without rooting and without changing anything to the way Google Marketplace is installed using the unofficial Market4Archos.apk file.

Riles wrote:
Sorry to hear it was a false alarm and hopefully I'll be able to report the actual official addition of the full market to your devices soon.

I wouldn't say it's totally false alarm. For anyone who can install an unofficial .apk using USB transfer or direct download, the full Marketplace currently is there, and has been available on Archos since around January 21st. Un-rooted paid apps access is good news, so we don't need to pirate the apps off searching Google for "app name .apk" anymore to have access to all those DoggCatcher and other useful paid apps.

For sure though, it will be much better when Google Marketplace is on all Archos devices pre-installed from the factory, fully optimized for the 800x480 4.8" Tablet screen, with filters on apps so installing unsupported apps that require the Camera, electronic compass would be filtered, as well as Apps that are optimized for such higher resolution screen should thus be highlighted (a bit like the iPad version of App Store). In fact, Archos can even display close to 1280x720 resolution Android user interfaces using the HDMI output to a HDTV screen and using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for the interfaces there. For example, Google Chrome app developed using Native SDK for Android would be a perfect app which would best work for that Desktop HDMI output and keyboard/mouse configuration and would thus be one of the main apps people would want to install from the Marketplace in that configuration.

I interviewed Eric Schmidt and Andy Rubin about Android certification on Tablets, they indirectly hinted at it coming very soon: http://armdevices.net/2010/02/22/i-inte ... ote-video/ My guess is Android for Tablets, Laptops, E-readers and Set-top-boxes is coming with Froyo and Gingerbread releases. At that point, my guess is that Google will fork Android releases into a few differently customized distributions of Android for each of these different product categories. The Tablet Android release though will likely be the closest one to the "regular" Android for phones release. The difference is basically as subtle as the difference in iphone OS between iphone, ipod touch and ipad. Apple didn't make huge changed to iphone OS to support the ipad, but there are some screen resolution changes and some other tweaks necessary to thus optimize the support for higher resolution screens and different WiFi-only usage, no compulsory camera, faster processor and another few such optimizations.

In anyways, you can be sure Google is not leaving itself out of using Android to compete with the ipad, ipod touch, so we will surely very soon be served with the full official support by Google for the official Marketplace and also a few optimized Google Apps:

- Gmail for higher resolution (like on ipad)
- Google Navigation with full-city offline caching
- Google Voice not needing voice minutes but function using Gizmo VOIP SIP based calling over WiFi
- Further optimizations of WiFi management so connectivity is more optimized and not relied on built-in 3G connectivity, better integration of Bluetooth tethering, Mifi and other indirect and cheaper 3G solutions.
- Android user interface tweaks to use black and white Pixel Qi LCD screens
- Android user interface optimizations for cheaper and larger resistive touch screens
- Plenty more things like that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
so we don't need to pirate the apps off searching Google for "app name .apk" anymore to have access to all those DoggCatcher and other useful paid apps.
DoggCatcher has always been available for purchase/download via paypal (in addition to, of course, Android market).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And Charbax, I love you, but it was a false alarm, my friend. There may eventually or even soon be a version of the Android Marketplace for Tablets and the A5A might even meet the HW requirements to get in, but that ain't now and we can't be sure any Gen 7 device will be included, although we can hope.

Trust me, if and when that day comes, I'll be clapping louder than anyone! =D>

And Riles, thanks for being an honourable fellow. I love your blog (it's on my daily RSS read) and I'm sure this will only spur you on to being even more accurate in the future, my friend. :D

Michael