Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Wifi connected right away after reboot twice with no reconnects. They certainly fixed something :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Without a WiFi Connection
NOTE: You will need to have Windows Media Player 11 installed on your computer in order to install the latest firmware update via the USB cable.

Step 1. Download the firmware to your computer
When you download the update file, your browser may warn you that the file 'could be harmful'. This is normal because browsers are not familiar with files that have a .AOS extension and suspect that they could be malicious. These files are not harmful to your computer.

Step 2. Verify the USB Setting
Turn on your ARCHOS device and verify that the USB setting is set to ÔÇ£Mobile Media Device (MTP)ÔÇØ. Check this at (Menu > Settings > Device Storage & USB connection > USB connection mode.

Step 3. Connect the ARCHOS to your computer with the USB cable.
Once the cable is connected, select "Mount" on your Archos and wait a few seconds for the ARCHOS to be detected by the computer.

Step 4. Copy and paste the downloaded firmware (.AOS file) onto the ARCHOS device
Your ARCHOS device will be detected as a 'Mobile Device' in Windows┬« Explorer. Double-click on the device to see its ÔÇÿInternal Hard Drive.' Open this Internal Hard Drive icon and you will see the various ARCHOS folders inside (Video, Music, etc.). Paste the update file into this area but be careful not to paste it into any of the folders there.

Step 5. Disconnect the Device
Once the file is finished copying to the ARCHOS, unplug the USB cable.

Step 6. Allow the Device to Update itself
Once you disconnect the USB cable, the device will recognize the new update file and invite you to install it. Follow the on-screen instructions. If it does not suggest an update, this means that the update file did not get placed onto the device or it got accidentally placed into one of the folders. You can open the File manager application on the ARCHOS, locate the update file you have copied to it, and then open it directly to start the update.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Alternatively, install the ext3 driver under windows
http://www.fs-driver.org/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm running 1.7.77 and when I tried to do a firmware update all I was offered was 1.7.96 instead of 1.7.99. So then I went to Archos download center from the Archos it won't download successfully. So then I followed the info I posted above and downloaded to my computer, copied to Archos and am in now successfully installing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jeez wrote:
Unfortunately I'm unable to do a purchase test due to lack of funds.
As I said (and is the case), "you get 24 hours to get a refund, so there's no risk of loss."

abax44 wrote:
I never actually bought anything (couldn't find anything I liked) but it does take me to the Google checkout and show my Google accounts to make the purchase. I'll go ahead and assume it works.
Very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:42 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Is there a ftp link I can use to download this update? I want to try download it straight from my A5IT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I didn't actually download an app...but when I click on a paid app it takes me to Google Check out and displays my credit card number so I'm pretty sure it'd work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anyone know if they fixed the usb net mode for mac os yet? If they fixed that, im going for this version, never ran '.96 due to them braking usb net in mac os....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

creepingmee wrote:
Anyone know if they fixed the usb net mode for mac os yet? If they fixed that, im going for this version, never ran '.96 due to them braking usb net in mac os....
not sure, but do know that you can (manually) drop the latest firmware (i.e., AOS) file (from archos.com) onto the Archos and if you don't like it, just revert back to a previous firmware... grab previous firmwares linked to from our wiki, we have a forum member who has been so kind to host past firmware files. You just are not allowed to go prior to 1.7.33 if you already have gone past it, since that was a milestone upgrade to Android 1.6 (and not just another update)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is second hand info, but my buddy got his A5A today and it auto-updated to 1.7.99. He purchased an app (Robo Defense, I think) and it downloaded, installed, and started up just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can Indeed confirm I downloaded a paid app and it worked perfectly...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As far as the GPS, the initial satellite acquisition took about 4 minutes. But after turning it off and back on it took less that 15 seconds greatly decreasing acquisition time. This is indoors by the way. I do like being able to listen to the FM radio through the speaker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

why can't we all get lucky and get that paid Apps fix? I'm counting on u alp devastate to figure this out (especially devo )

youtube still doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok, I take it back.

I do have access to buy apps, but I can only do so by looking in any tab that is not top free. I can search, see just in, and look at the top downloads and see items for purchase. I bought the full robodefense game, worked perfectly. I got no clue what the hell is going on man, but its awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just updated to 1.7.99. I'm running the Easy root Hack. I had to run devo's Paid Apps hack to get to the Paid Apps.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Paid apps now appear in my Marketplace as well. Its kind of cool. I keep getting a force close error even when stuff isnt running. It has something to do with the marketplace.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wifi does seem stable. But am not sure if the correct connection speed is being displayed even after the firmware update. With the previous firmware, it was stuck at "0.0Mbps". Now it seems to be stuck at "54Mbps".
Isn't the device supposed to do wireless N? i have an Airport Extreme, and was expecting the 5IT to connect at 130Mbps or thereabout. I even disabled b/g and kept only "n" on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. i assumed this will "force" the 5IT to connect at "n" speeds instead of 54Mbps "g" speeds. but nope, the display still shows up as 54Mbps.
So the question is - does the device really do Wireless N speeds, or is that just other marketing hype from Archos. what is the max speed one can expect.

On a different note, this is the buggiest device i have owned. I might be imagining this, but the new firmware seems to have made it more stable. It has been half hour of clicking around and opening apps... and the device still hasn't crashed! If this continues, my buyer's remorse might soon evaporate!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Connects to N device, but not at N speeds. Sorry. This is how it has always been.

Also, know that crashes are highly related to not managing the (limited) system memory (RAM). I use SysTray Monitor and notice anything close to or below 20MB free RAM is a guarantee of a freeze/crash. So closing unused programs before it gets to that point... ensures no crashes, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:06 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Process manager(paid) is the best task manager I've used so far. It has auto-kill functionality so my RAM never dips to below 40mb. Since I've been using it I've not had a single crash. (over half a month now)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is an ad-supported free version of ProcessManager. I will check it out, thanks for the mention/recommendation!

Edit: looks like the free version makes that autokill function inaccessible. Hmm. $1.50? I do like/use CurveFish's other apps...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next