Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Greetings all-

I am using a Motorola S9 headset. It pairs just fine, but on some videos the audio is way out of sync with the video (by about a second). Also, it will sometimes just stop playing and then start backup after a few seconds.

When I use regular headphones playback is perfectly synchronized.

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Thanks,

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is and has been a delay on BT audio on the A5A (and other small BT devices) that makes it a poor option for watching videos. Use a wired headset or the external speaker.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That's it? "There's a delay. Deal with it." ?????

For a device that is designed to watch videos and supports Bluetooth, how is this acceptable???

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry, there are other options (return it, eBay it, etc.) but personally, as this is a user support forum, I try to focus on giving people practical solutions.

Apologies if that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that's all I can say!

And if that's not acceptable to you (which I can fully understand), you might want to look for another PMP that does what you need it to do.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've got this problem as well with my headset. Thats why I carry the audio cable around for it all the time. If i want to listen to music only, that's fine i can just start playing. But if i wanna watch a video, i have to turn the headset off, plug the audio cable into them and turn them into a normal wired headset.

Sucks, but i deal with it. i've rarely been in a situation where having wireless head phones during video playback was desired. Music, yes. having no wires comes in handy when riding a bike or jogging. Both of which i dont think i'm going to be watching a video during. :lol:

welcome to the club of people who think archos needs to stop monkey'n around and do things right for once.

I swear, Archos always trips at the finish line. They always come out with such great products and hardware but when it come to software, they trip, fall, blow up and take everything around them out.

They need to fire the currently out sourced program department and find a new one.

This is a simple problem that could be avoided if they'd program the thing to preload and buffer a few seconds worth of audio before video. in other words, off set the sync rate so that the delay in the bluetooth stack would appear to disappear.

This should be possible considering the audio is streamed out like any other streaming source. it has its own time sync that the device will monitor so that the streaming doesnt double or overlap. so it'd just be a matter of starting it slightly before the video playback to the screen starts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 am 

ive given up on trying to get bt to work with video as well, ive gone back to my trusty sleeks sa6 w1. the wireless adaptor on the sleeks transmit at cd quality thoughput so you dont get any delays or loss in quality.
i just hope archos include kleer technology along side bt in the next re incarnation. the beauty about kleer is its a LOT less power hungry and allows up to 4 other recievers to connect at the same time.
roy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I thought that was just the nature of A2DP Bluetooth? Great for audio, but lacking for video. My set lags even when using it on a full-fledge iMac.
The tablet has to re-encode the file for the bluetooth, transfer it to your ear, and then the headset (with it's itty-bitty-wimpy processor) decompresses the audio and sends it to your ear. It takes time. The only wireless headsets that are decent for movies are the larger high-frequency RF headsets that don't bother with compression.

Besides, aren't you holding the device anyways? I understand wireless audio if you have it on your desk while you're moving about.

- Jim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

macr0t0r wrote:
I thought that was just the nature of A2DP Bluetooth? Great for audio, but lacking for video. My set lags even when using it on a full-fledge iMac.

That's true as well, but mentioning that started a huge argument the last time I brought it up, so I don't any more.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a very old pocket pc. On that thing when i watched videos, I would use my a2dp headphones with it. The player that I had on it would alow you to offset the audio/video sync for doing just that, you could adjust it untill it was perfect. It was a simple solution to the problem that worked well. Archos could include something like that in amc fairly easily I would think......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hmmmm....an Audio offset like that offered in VLC? That's not a bad idea.
- Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

macr0t0r wrote:
Besides, aren't you holding the device anyways? I understand wireless audio if you have it on your desk while you're moving about.

- Jim

I use my Archos player at the gym while I am doing cardio. I'd rather not have to deal with wires. I almost pulled my ear out last week because I have to use wired headphones now.

I can't say I believe there's no way to fix this. I can believe that Archos has decided to not bother.

J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There doesn't seem to be a way to fix the fact that Bluetooth A2DP lags. Archos can't really fix that.

What they could do is add an offset function into the AMC, something that I hope we'll see in future firmwares.