Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Archos 5A and its wiki: would images add any value?
YES: ability to view/add images would make a big difference... this feature should be added to our wiki 92%  92%  [ 23 ]
NO: ability to view/add images would make little-to-no difference... this feature does not need to be added to our wiki 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
HUH: what's a wiki?! 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 25
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Milwaukee (GMT - 6)
This issue is not new, but it has been coming up lately... so let us gather a (non-scientific) poll, regarding our wiki

Charbax is the admin/owner for/of the wiki, so obviously... it is ultimately up to him. But, our community can gather any necessary collective action in voicing out opinion and/or preference, right?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
I, for one, would be a lot more involved with our Wiki if we could add images:

Images would help with
    Help Pages for Using the Wiki
    App Pages
    How To Pages
    BT Tethering Pages
    etc.
Images very quickly focus the reader's attention. They can replace a bunch of words (1K :) ). For serious users Wiki Images are a must.

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:10 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 344
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA
I've already uploaded a number of images about my A5A and the mini dock. I intend on getting more pictures of both in further detail of both. Also, I'm going to be doing this for any other accessory i get for it. So I have the images and can post them. So maybe i can get the ball rolling?

_________________
G9 101 250gb 1.5ghz/1gb
A5IT500gb


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 21
Would be very.helpful


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:49 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
atomicmecha wrote:
I've already uploaded a number of images about my A5A and the mini dock. I intend on getting more pictures of both in further detail of both. Also, I'm going to be doing this for any other accessory i get for it. So I have the images and can post them. So maybe i can get the ball rolling?

All it takes is Charbax changing a setting and we can display images in the Wiki. Until then we're SOL.

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
Aren't there security issues with it?

Can't alternative image hosting sites be used and images embedded?

OK, I will upgrade the wiki and forum these next couple weeks with lots new features. I don't have a conference to go film videos at until April, so I can concentrate on this.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
Hi Charbax,

I understand you've restricted Wiki updates to logged on users. Nothing prevents someone from registering and uploading spam. The same as with the forum - we have to police it ourselves.

If you haven't read them yet, here are two links for MediaWiki and Images:

1. MediaWiki - Upload Security
2. MediaWiki - Help:Images and other uploaded files

If you can block known spammers from the Wiki like you can from the Forum, we should be okay. The benefit of images for our members are substantial, as I've mentioned before.

Regardless of your final decision about Images and Wikis, I am very grateful of your efforts with ArchosFans and ARM.

Thank you,
Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Posts: 1559
Location: Milwaukee (GMT - 6)
And here are some nuts and bolts (i.e., how-to):
Manual:Configuring file uploads

One thing to note straight away, there is a default filesize limit (to uploads), which may need to be modified? From the linked page above, here is an excerpt:
Quote:
By default PHP allows uploaded files to be no more than 2 megabytes large. If you want to upload even larger files, change several parameters in the php.ini config file:
* post_max_size
* upload_max_filesize

And thanks for being responsive Charbax!

Images on the wiki (uploaded or otherwise... e.g., linked to from tinypic, etc) will be a great thing. Nonetheless, we will have to self-police c®ap (uninstructive) images and not get our egos attached to placement/design issues when it comes to images... otherwise, I suppose, wiki wars are possible! And nothing kills a collaborative effort faster than that...


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54 pm
Posts: 441
Location: California
I think it would also be a good idea to use some restrictions though, like picture files need to be authorized or voted for before they are shown, images are cropped to remove irrelevant info, and downscaled to a small but usable size, and maybe only allow one or two image formats.

I'm not exactly sure how wikis work on the admin level, so I don't know if these are even possible. But since the wiki is for a MID, and we do get the occasional spammers, it would be a good idea to look into it.

_________________
-LT


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
LuciferTengu wrote:
I think it would also be a good idea to use some restrictions though, like picture files need to be authorized or voted for before they are shown, images are cropped to remove irrelevant info, and downscaled to a small but usable size, and maybe only allow one or two image formats.

I'm not exactly sure how wikis work on the admin level, so I don't know if these are even possible. But since the wiki is for a MID, and we do get the occasional spammers, it would be a good idea to look into it.


Yup, please do let me know what the options are in mediawiki. I wouldn't mind hosting any types of files on the server, as long as there is some kind of way to make sure people don't upload pirated stuff or even worse things. Also, I wonder if there is some kind of anti-leech mechanism so some files could maybe require login or something if too many people use too much bandwidth on it.

Some kind of way to verify the first uploaded file by new members, something like that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
Charbax wrote:
LuciferTengu wrote:
I think it would also be a good idea to use some restrictions though, like picture files need to be authorized or voted for before they are shown, images are cropped to remove irrelevant info, and downscaled to a small but usable size, and maybe only allow one or two image formats.

I'm not exactly sure how wikis work on the admin level, so I don't know if these are even possible. But since the wiki is for a MID, and we do get the occasional spammers, it would be a good idea to look into it.


Yup, please do let me know what the options are in mediawiki. I wouldn't mind hosting any types of files on the server, as long as there is some kind of way to make sure people don't upload pirated stuff or even worse things. Also, I wonder if there is some kind of anti-leech mechanism so some files could maybe require login or something if too many people use too much bandwidth on it.

Some kind of way to verify the first uploaded file by new members, something like that.

Hi Charbax and LuciferTengu,

IMO the files which would benefit the AF community are the same files we see, or see links to, on the forum: Images, FW: AOS files, APK files, and maybe a few other types of files.

Our Wiki already has external links to most of these file types. An external link to an image file doesn't do the Wiki reader any good, because of the context sensitive nature of images. I see no reason to open the floodgates to file types, other than Images, at this time.

Authorization or voting on images is MUCH too restrictive when you are creating or editing a Wiki page. I suggest that we put up a Help: Images page when Images are allowed. The Help page would have guidelines and example images.

I see the issue of SPAM images in the same way as the issue of SPAM Wiki pages or Forum Posts. We know who does it because both the Forum and the Wiki require membership to post.

I see two issues with Images:
    1. Authorizing Images - Only a Wiki Administrator can do this. AFAIK that's you Charbax. This process should actually take under 20 minutes.
    2. Policing Images - The entire AF community does this as part of policing Wiki pages. Policing is an ongoing effort which will take very little effort on a per member basis. When violations are found:
      1. Members can remove (edit out) the offending images and notify an administrator . . .
      2. An administrator can block the offending poster.

This discussion, for the past several months, has taken far more energy than just Allowing Images then letting our community help in developing real guidelines and policing.

IMO just do it. Allow Images now. If it doesn't work out REMOVE the Upload Image Option.

Thanks,
Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited