Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I sold my archos 5 a while ago, because of severe problems regarding extremely poor battery life and just the extreme number of bugs in the device, also lack of fullscreen support in applications. However, the archos has the best video player i have ever scene on a video device, and I would buy it again if the stability issues have decreased, so have they??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Some (minor) stability issues are still lingering, but are virtually gone. Also, I believe that full screen support is "in the works."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You don't say how long ago you sold your device, but if it was prior to last Christmas, it will be almost like you're buying an entirely different device.

It's still no iPod stability-wise, but with all the firmware fixes, a stable firmware install and heeding some of the advice around here for stable usage, it's worlds better than it was. I might need to reboot once a week or so because of something or other, but that's often a misbehaving app, not the A5A locking up spontaneously as it used to sometimes do

Do yourself a favour and read the article in the Wiki on stable usage, you'll be glad you did.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yes,i had the 5 until the harddrive died.now i have a 32g android and glad i bit the bullet its great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the advice guys I may just go ahead and buy it again, it was before last Christmas that I sold it. Anywayz I dont get it, if Archos can make such decent looking products, why not make them stable. Look at HTC, I love all of their products because even though not perfectly stable, they are stable "enough" for constant use. I hope to see an HTC Supersonic/HD2 esque Archos Phone that will run android stable just like current HTC phones. Also one more thing has the use of 3D games been implemented, I bought the Speed Forge 3D and it did not work at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No 3D (yet?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

HTC is a much bigger company than Archos with a lot more resources to throw at problems to make them go away sooner.

Also, Archos attempted to do something with Android that was more ambitious than what HTC does. Android is designed to be a phone OS and that's what HTC uses it for. Pretty straightforward. Archos, on the other hand decided to use it to power a media tablet and had to write it's own graphics subsystem running within Android to do so. The most HTC does is to write a customized Home app.

I don't mean to take anything away from HTC. They do some fantastic HW design (the Nexus One is a thing of beauty). But their FW is a lot less of a deviation from the basic Android OS and is, therefore, much less of a coding challenge than something like the A5A is.

That being said, Archos bit off far more than it could chew in shooting for an October release for the A5A and the device came out with an almost non-functional firmware.

I understand the practical and financial reasons that forced their hand (by the time the firmware reached a shippable state, it was already Christmas Eve, they would have missed shipping their only profitable product for the critical Q4 in 2009 and we'd be discussing how it was too bad Archos is out of business now). But that's only an explanation, not an excuse. The FW should have been what it is now on release.

And now that Archos has a more mature Android codebase, let's hope we don't ever see a repeat of that situation (or at least not any time soon! 8) )!

Anyway, good conversation!

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh, and implementing HW-accelerated 3D on the A5A is still a work in progress. The particular sort of DSP chip used in the A5A (that does the exceptional video playback) isn't common on Android devices and needs some custom code to let it do accelerated 3D. However, it should be *really* fast once it's working. Last I heard on that from an Archos dev was 'soon'. Whatever 'soon' means... :lol:

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

map002 wrote:
Oh, and implementing HW-accelerated 3D on the A5A is still a work in progress. The particular sort of DSP chip used in the A5A (that does the exceptional video playback) isn't common on Android devices and needs some custom code to let it do accelerated 3D. However, it should be *really* fast once it's working. Last I heard on that from an Archos dev was 'soon'. Whatever 'soon' means... :lol:

Michael

I would give my soul away for `HW-accelerated 3D┬┤