Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Archos is really getting into this open source thing. What's going on? Management change?
Allen

More likely a certain fruit company entering the tablet market lately.

In order to have any chance of competing, Archos are trying to generate a buzz and harness the community. Let's hope it works out for them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nope, this went into planning a couple of years ago, as I understand it.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

How's the dual os going? u getting anywhere?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

hey can you please tell me. would there be anyway of getting linux to run a exe file any way to do that?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

an exe file is an executable file compiled for running on Windows, short answer is no, absolutely not. long answer is yes, through emulation software. you can run Wine on a Linux box with the correct Windows libraries, you can run a full Virtual OS under something like VirtualBox or VMWare, but you'd need to go through a full virtual Windows installation for that... if you're asking how to run an exe under the Linux that installs on the Archos, with the SDE OS, then you're seriously barking up the wrong tree, absolutely, 100%.

what's the exe, what's it's purpose and what do you want to do with it, then we'd be able to help you more with what you're trying to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sry but this is all new to me I just got my first A5A the 160gb one and have the market on it now but what is this new thing? I use my a5a for movies and music and web so is there any reason 4 me to do this thing?
:?:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

if you don't know or understand what's the story with the DUALOS, I'd just direct you to what Archos themselves have on their site,

if you start reading what root allows you to do and want a bit of it, then yeah, investigate more and maybe install, but for the moment, I think you'd be better off just leaving it be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

but it is possible to be able to run a virtual Windows? Has anyone given that a try?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks m8
I won't do any thing ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mitch04 wrote:
but it is possible to be able to run a virtual Windows? Has anyone given that a try?

If it's possible, I believe it would be too slow to be usable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There is this device developed by a company called Always Innovating that I found while looking for a tablet pc. Its called the 'Touch Book'. It is a very insteresting device. It runs a version of Angstrom. It also claims to be able to boot multiple OS's. I dont know enough about developing for the archos, but the Touch Book OS seems like a pretty feature rich build of angstrom and thought I would post here in case someone might find it interesting. I dont know how hard it is to port a different build over to the archos, but it seems like the processors for both devices are similar.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

laaf2005 wrote:
There is this device developed by a company called Always Innovating that I found while looking for a tablet pc. Its called the 'Touch Book'. It is a very insteresting device. It runs a version of Angstrom. It also claims to be able to boot multiple OS's. I dont know enough about developing for the archos, but the Touch Book OS seems like a pretty feature rich build of angstrom and thought I would post here in case someone might find it interesting. I dont know how hard it is to port a different build over to the archos, but it seems like the processors for both devices are similar.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

Hi laaf2005,

Thanks for the tip. I joined their Forum and Wiki. The Touch Book might do for me until Archos comes out with an A7A IT or an A9A IT. I just saw a script on their Wiki to install Android Donut. I was in heaven. MultiOS. Kool. This could be my Starter Home and Travel Tablet.

Thanks Again :D

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

the device really looks nice :D

i`ll keep an eye on it.

thnx for the tip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

So where's our Maemo 5 :lol:

I have still been playing around a bit with Angstrom... but haven't yet compiled anything useful in regards to information on how to do this or that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ArchosWanderer wrote:
So where's our Maemo 5 :lol:

Waiting for you to compile it! :D

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The whole D'OS idea is lovely, but I think that based on the capacity of ARM, size of the HDDs of the different Archos devices, I'm reminded of the beauty of a great device I miss terribly. The Psion Series 5mx. Competent hardware that ran a VERY thin OS (EPOC Symbian) with equally thin file systems. In terms of picking and choosing an OS to option on a given A#x# and the problems that have been shown in trying to get the machine to choke out a RAM'hog OS (Win#, OSx, etc.), I would think that a VERY thin current OS (JeOS, Ubuntu MID, like) or is Angstrom the thinest in town?. As an example that it CAN be done, that's lovely. I'm just a poor civilian user learning too many languages as it is. I'll be watching this idea very closely though for more developments!

GO GO GADGET CRACKERS! \:D/