Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Actually, with another non-Archos Android build, we should be able to access paid apps on that build if Google doesn't do something else to block them by then.

So sort of... 8)

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:
Actually, with another non-Archos Android build, we should be able to access paid apps on that build if Google doesn't do something else to block them by then.

So sort of... 8)

Michael

cool!!! I can't wait to see what happens :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, I ain't promising anything, but if there are no showstoppers, you might have a rough 2.0 build in a few weeks or sooner.

We'll see!

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:
Well, I ain't promising anything, but if there are no showstoppers, you might have a rough 2.0 build in a few weeks or sooner.

We'll see!

Michael

I'll be happy to be a beta tester......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, way early for that yet. ;) And this is 'seat-of-your-pants-might-even-possibly-lose-your-plugins-or-ability-to-reflash-to-official-firmware' kind of testing... ;)

Just glad I'm not doing the coding, just doing color commentary from the sidelines... :lol:

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:

So sort of... 8)

Michael

With source code and the imagination of developers, I don't think it would be that difficult to make the AOSP "think" it's a "Google Experience" device. I'm sure Archos could have done it, yet didn't so as not to upset Google. Our imaginative devs may have different view than Archos, so we may see "unofficial" paids Apps on a 5IT sooner that we thought.

As long as we have source even SOME HW issues can be worked around. Part of my take on what Archos has done with this ├àngstr├Âm release and the AMC API code includes prodding Google to relax the "Google Experience". Hundreds of devs can now make Google Experience OSes for a really cool HW platform - the Archos 5 IT.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'd be happy with just hardware acceleration system wide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:26 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

THIS IS GREAT NEWS AND YES I AM SHOUTING

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mattzildjian wrote:
I'd be happy with just hardware acceleration system wide.
Wait for Android 2.1 then... ;)

These builds will lose the heavily optimised AMC and so will likely be less accelerated than the Archos OS. So if a custom ROM of Android 2.1 popped out tomorrow with accelerated Open GL, it would be faster at Android and 3D games, but much less good at being a PMP.

These custom ROMs will likely also be a little rough around the edges. Not as polished as a consumer OS, at least not at first.

This is probably going to be more of a hobbyist sort of 'Oh my gosh, can you believe they actually got that to run! Only sort of, but it's running!! 'thing for a while, unless I miss my guess.

So adjust your expectations a bit to avoid disappointment. And if your lowered expectations get exceeded, then you can just be doubly happy! ;)

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is promising, and I thank Archos for making this move and "opening up" the A5IT!

I haven't installed Ångstrom yet, but am thinking about it. (I just wiped everything 2 days ago in order to get NDrive to activate my bought maps properly...)

I understand many people haven't installed it yet, but I was wondering about how the different hardware works with Ångstrom? I know the media hardware acceleration is not up to par in Ångstrom, but how is it with the rest of the hardware? Does the Ångstrom distribution contain drivers for radio and GPS for instance?

Cheers, and thank you Archos!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So, I'm a little bit unclear about the exact implications of this; has anyone gotten a working bootloader for the A5A working because of the Angstrom firmware, or is that just the derivative 'next step' now that this has been released? Or is it something the 'DualOS' firmware provides?

I'm really interested in tinkering with the Angstrom stuff, but I'd like to do it when I can run both 'OSs' on my device at once (so one partition can be for linux messing, and the other for a functional PMP/IT)...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
map002 wrote:

We'll see!

Michael

Hi butterflygirl,

To you and all who are considering the SDE, you might want to reconsider. What does this mean from the Archos Download page?
Quote:
Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.

Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.

Sounds ominous!!! :? :roll:

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:
map002 wrote:

We'll see!

Michael

Hi butterflygirl,

To you and all who are considering the SDE, you might want to reconsider. What does this mean from the Archos Download page?
Quote:
Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.

Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.

Sounds ominous!!! :? :roll:

Allen

It means if your house burns down because you overclocked your 5A they don't pay any damages. It's a standard warranty exclusion. Archos provided the device and the firmware, so they could be hold liable for damages resulting from the firmware to the device. Since they don't know what we will do with it, they have to exclude it by contract.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Allen brings up a very valid point.

And yup, simply losing the ability to use DRMed media from Napster, et. al. (as you do when you install the SDE) might cause some users to assume their device was 'broken' and try to return it under warranty.

And many alternative firmwares have, as Astijan suggested, built-in code to allow users to overclock the ARM processor, which has the potential to burn out the chip and essentially destroy the device.

So this is for advanced users and is best done with eyes wide open. You'll be leaving your warranty behind if or when you do this. If that's outside of your comfort zone, then this is a path that's not for you. I would strongly advise and encourage you to enjoy your Archos for what it already is.

As for the rest of us lunatics, Allons y! :D

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

zaraithe wrote:
So, I'm a little bit unclear about the exact implications of this; has anyone gotten a working bootloader for the A5A working because of the Angstrom firmware, or is that just the derivative 'next step' now that this has been released? Or is it something the 'DualOS' firmware provides?

I'm really interested in tinkering with the Angstrom stuff, but I'd like to do it when I can run both 'OSs' on my device at once (so one partition can be for linux messing, and the other for a functional PMP/IT)...

The Dev firmware provides the boot loader, the angstrom distro is just a disk image stored on the drive that the A5A boots.

The next step is editing the disk image to get something else, like AOSP to boot.

After switching between the dev and official firmwares a couple of times, I can say it doesn't touch your media on the disk and will not affect your installed apps and settings. The Archos 'first run' wizard runs on the first boot back in the official firmware, you can just say no to installing the bundled apps and it carries on happily.

Unless you are trying to get something else booting on the A5A, Angstrom isn't going to do much for you. It is a 'proof of concept' to show you how to get things going. It's almost impossible to use with the touch screen and there isn't really much on there that most official firmware users would see any use in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi guys!!! I'm really wondering with this group. It has been a great help seting up my new 5It. Thanks.

By the way, I have found that we can yet build images for our machine. I'm building a image of Amstrong to test it in a emulator.

Thanks to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's very proof of concept, and not fit for much else. I've tried it out on my A5A- Wifi isn't installed, and most settings aren't saved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

will this sde kill the drm ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Read the thread, Grasshopper, the answer is above you!

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i know SDE for IMT will remove the drm. but did you check their page for IT ?
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/arch ... us&lang=en
never mention about the drm and such at all

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next