Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: DUALOS for Archos 5 IT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/arch ... us&lang=en

What is this? I haven't seen it before...

Post subject: A5IT SDE is here
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dm8tbr wrote:
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5it/dualoslinux.html?country=gb&lang=en
They just put the link to the SDE AOS file on their page.

expect some openAOS stuff for it soon ;)

enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's new... ;) Several new possibilities here. It's been rumored for a while though.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Score! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

that's a fricking crazy good decision :D is there any chance of this being dual-bootable and moreso, does this mean they'll calm down on the lock-down of root accessibility on the A5IT?

devo, did you have in on this, before it was released?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm going to start working on getting android going on this immediately. We won't need them to if we're making the builds ;)

and nope, I know and still know as much as you, except I've already installed it, hehehe. Pictures thread!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

But will you lose the Archos Media Center?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Read the linked page, you'll lose all of the archos stuff - however, it looks like you can roll back, which would be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sure you can roll back, but what good is this anyway if we can't keep Archos Media Center.
That's the only thing that makes this product better than the competition (Android-based products).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If reading the page doesn't make you giddy, this might not be for you. No shame in that. But this is a whole new playground for some of us and some stuff might come out of this in the future that you might like! :D

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Result - excellent news - hmmm time to buy another A5A me thinks.......................

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

OMG am I finally going to get my acclaimed VLC to run on my Archos!!!? Ohh man I am fooling around with this when I get home from work! Then I just have to get alien up and running on the distro and see what all I can get up and running (that is if I even need to get alien running). Can't wait!

Also I would just like to say kudos to the ease of interoperability (allowing any and all an easy transfer to the distro).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

VLC is going to run complex high rez video with a framerate like a slide show unless you find an OS platform with great drivers for that TI DSP chip. Just sayin'.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yeah, while a lot of people have always dreamed of getting VLC on the thing and on the previous A5IMT, the things involved in playing through it are a lot, lot more complicated than you'd actually imagine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help me promote this story, potentially attract more developers, by voting up my submission about this to Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/submission/1166888/ ... developers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I DLed it, but I don't intend to install it unless I get a 7A or another 5A.

Archos gave a link to The ├àngstr├Âm Distribution. The primary issue is Device Drivers, which has been a perennial issue in Linux. Lot's of work for you interested devs. The ├àngstr├Âm group's site looks promising for the support you'll need.

It's interesting that Archos has opened the 5A to ├àngstr├Âm at this point in its life cycle.

If their's enough interest maybe Charbax would create an ├àngstr├Âm Forum under the "Internet Media Tablet" category.

Looking forward to the threads...

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Help me promote this story, potentially attract more developers, by voting up my submission about this to Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/submission/1166888/ ... developers

Hi Charbax,

Joined, left a comment, and voted up your submission. Hope everyone does the same.

I really like the idea of a separate ├àngstr├Âm Forum in addition to "Archos Hacking and Open Development" forum if the numbers warrant it.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
If their's enough interest maybe Charbax would create an ├àngstr├Âm Forum under the "Internet Media Tablet" category.

There is the "Archos Hacking and Open Development" forum section: viewforum.php?f=34

You think that there should be a new specific "├àngstr├Âm" section?

Could a developer explain if this SDE firmware means this also opens up the door for Ubuntu, Maemo, Qt and other types of Linux to also be launchable eventually?

How about the eventuality of providing dual-boot where you can more like choose which to boot on bootup (like dm8tbr's nice Boot Menu for Gen6) and then also have icons from one OS to the other so that one icon could basically shutdown and boot ├àngstr├Âm from Android, or boot back to Android from ├àngstr├Âm, without deleting any of the Multimedia files nor any of all the apps and settings that regular users would like to have and keep safely. Would there be a way to save the state in one OS to resume into that and what may be the transition time when booting from one OS to the other? Would each of the separate OS firmware files simply have to all be located in a specific location or something like that, so to upgrade one, one would simply need to replace the OS file with a newer version?

Archos just released the Multimedia APIs for Android as well, perhaps one of the next steps would also be for Archos to release some kind of global Multimedia drivers, even if they keep them proprietary, to be used for getting the full hardware acceleration for Multimedia within ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux distributions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You're right on, Charbax. Also, alternative Android builds as well.

Devo will have more to say on that shortly!

And I'd agree on a 5IT specific open dev section.

Exciting stuff!

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:

There is the "Archos Hacking and Open Development" forum section: viewforum.php?f=34

You think that there should be a new specific "├àngstr├Âm" section?

Like I said in my later reply: IF the numbers warrant it.
Quote:
Could a developer explain if this SDE firmware means this also opens up the door for Ubuntu, Maemo, Qt and other types of Linux to also be launched?

Yes, but not likely, the ├àngstr├Âm group has created a Linux Distro. The others you mentioned are also Linux distros. If enough folks from the other distros were interested they could do the same. However, as WTG pointed out, there's a lot of effort involved. I suspect the other groups will wait until the ├àngstr├Âm distro is more evolved and there are more MID's in circulation. Then like they done with the Intel Distros, they will come in like gangbusters. In 5 years we'll see dozens of Linux distros on all MIDs, including the 5A.
Quote:
How about the eventuality of providing dual-boot where you can more like choose which to boot on bootup (like dm8tbr's nice Boot Menu for Gen6) and then also have icons from one OS to the other so that one icon could basically shutdown and boot ├àngstr├Âm from Android, or boot back to Android from ├àngstr├Âm, without deleting any of the Multimedia files nor any of all the apps and settings that regular users would like to have and keep safely. Would there be a way to save the state in one OS to resume into that and what may be the transition time when booting from one OS to the other? Would each of the separate OS firmware files simply have to all be located in a specific location or something like that, so to upgrade one, one would simply need to replace the OS file with a newer version?

This release from Archos really isn't "Dual OS" that phrase has been traditionally used. The tradition is "Dual Boot". But more than that what you want on the 5IT is SW like Sun's Virtual Box which allows running multiple OSs at the same time.
Quote:
Archos just released the Multimedia APIs for Android as well, perhaps one of the next steps would also be for Archos to release some kind of global Multimedia drivers to be used for getting the full hardware acceleration for Multimedia within ├àngstr├Âm and other Linux distributions?

Where does one get these? Link?

Thanks,
Allen