Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So, 1.7.33 is out - Archos was nice enough to give us some bugfixes and additional features at the cost of the fun dev tools we had access to. With that went the 'Take a screenshot instead of suspending' we've all (for the most part) grown to love. I have no idea why they removed it (why take away the *choice*?) but I digress...

So, without further ado, here's a method you can use to get your screenshots back.

This requires adb to be set up, the same way as the market hack. If you need to set it up, just download the market hack, as all of the adb stuff you need is in there (for windows users.)

I've tested this on windows, but because adb is still non-functional for me on linux and I don't have a mac, I've been unable to test on those platforms.

If someone could confirm that the script I wrote for linux/mac works that would be great.

Code:
>screenshot.bat
Filename (must be .png): screenshotsyay.png
Converting image from 32
Now writing PNG file
File written to /storage/screenshotsyay.png.
Copy from device and remove? (Y/N) y
708 KB/s (192747 bytes in 0.265s)

Download the script for your platform - Windows

Linux/Mac
Code:
sdk="/home/user/android-sdk-linux_86"
saveto="."

echo "Filename (must be .png): "
read ssfilename
${sdk}/tools/adb shell /system/bin/fbgrab /storage/${ssfilename}
echo "File written to /storage/${ssfilename}\n"
echo "Copy from device and remove? (Y/N) "
read savelocal
if [ ${savelocal} = "y" ] ; then
   ${sdk}/tools/adb pull /storage/${ssfilename} ${saveto} && ${sdk}/tools/adb shell rm -rf /storage/${ssfilename}
else
   echo ""
fi

Windows users
Drop it into your market4archos1.6 folder and run.

Linux/Mac users
Edit screenshot.sh and point it to your sdk folder. chmod +x ./screenshot.sh and run.

Both
You can edit the 'saveto' variable in the screenshot script to save it to a specific location if you choose to pull it from the device and copy it locally. By default, it saves it to the folder you ran the script from ('.').

What it does
The script will prompt you for a filename. It will then take the screenshot with the built in fbgrab (/system/bin/fbgrab) and save it to /storage/filename.
Then it will ask if you want to copy it from the device and remove it. This copies the image from the device to your computer and removes it from the device, otherwise you can copy them off at your own convenience.

Last edited by devo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nice simplification of the process, Devo! Good work as always, dude.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Michael and devo,

Thank you devo for the workaround, and thank you Michael for the article on AF.com. Screenshot is no longer my primary reason for not upgrading to 1.7.33. The primary reason now is the FM transmitter requiring the Archos Car Mount Gen 7, which is only available in the USA via the Archos Online store. Their website only allows Physical Addresses and here in Hawaii my mailing address is a PO box. So I've got to wait for another outlet like Amazon or have a friend buy it. I've lined up a friend and we figure that'll be a two week delay.

Thanks again guys!

Allen :)

Update: I just ordered the Gomadic Car Charger/FM Transmitter for the Archos 5 Internet tablet - $39.35 delivered. It has connections for the headphone and the 5A dock charging port. Hope to get it next week...

Last edited by AllenPapapetrou on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Devo....YOU ROCK! =D>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm sorry but I'm going to need a step-by-step dummy's guide for this thing.

You say to drop the .bat file in the market4archos file and "run". First off, do the instructions still apply if I used the apk version of the Market hack? Second, how do I "run" the file? I'm assuming I have to use the command prompt for this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you haven't set up adb before, or used the market hack via the apk method, you'll need to get adb working first.

You'll need to get the files from here: ftp://support.archos.com/ARCHOS%205%20I ... ablet/ADB/

Throw them all into a folder on your desktop or somewhere easy to get at. You'll also need to install the driver that's in there. Once you have the driver installed and all the files ready - On your device, in Settings > Device storage & USB connection, set the USB connection mode to ADB, then unplug and plug it back in.

Open the Run dialog (Windows Key + R) and type cmd, that will give you a command prompt. You'll need to cd into the folder - easiest if you put it on your desktop or you know the direct path, for instance...
Code:
cd Desktop\folderyoumade

and run adb devices. You'll see something like this if it can see your device:
Code:
adb devices
List of devices attached
A5S-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX   device

If no device shows up, double check that you've done everything above. You should be connected via usb, connection mode set to adb, have reconnected since you've set the connection mode to adb, and have the drivers installed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Excellent! Just finishing up my review of this thing (sole reason I have it), so this couldnt have come at a better time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have adb setup and still don't quite know what you mean about running the file? Do I execute it from adb on my pc, or somehow on my device? Thanks for the help :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just put the bat file in the market4archos1.6 folder that you get from doing the market install the ADB way (not apk way, just follow the instructions in the link if you havent done it). Then you double click on the bat file (aka run) and it will preompt you for a filename.png, then it will ask if you want to move the file to your PC. In other words, this script runs on your computer and takes a screenshot on the device when you run the script, so you have to have it connected via USB while you do the screens. If you choose to transfer pics over, they will be in the market4archos1.6 folder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ahhhhh sorry I thought devo came up with a way to take a screenshot of the Archos with the Archos and without the need for a separate computer. Of course, I hope I'm not sounding like an ingrate. I still feel indebted to devo for this! :-)

Thanks for the clarification Cptnodegard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Crazy things going on in 2010.

Needing a second computer and a SDK to take screenshots. CMon make it complicated why not easy.

Now I have to carry a laptop in my car just to take a screenshots of GPS issues while driving... How can I proof NDrives issues at home if not on route...

Hopefully we get the "Take Screenshoot instead suspend" back soon on a nice physical button

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:19 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not my fault, the READ_FRAME_BUFFER permission isn't available to 3rd party apps (archos' end) - but it's possible with root. Workin' on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It doesn't work when the device is in portriat mode. The capture file can be read but the content got messed up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, I ran into the same Portrait issue. Almost like "new age" art. Ain't it! :lol:

One thing I didn't try, when I had firmware 1.6.08, was hooking my 5A to my DVR Station and taking a screenshot via the short press power button option. Wonder what would have happened?

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm pretty sure it would have reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

if you need to take a screen shot in PORTRAIT MODE you can use this modified version of the script of devo.

Code:
sdk="/home/user/android-sdk-linux_86"
saveto="."

echo "Filename (must be .png): "
read ssfilename
${sdk}/tools/adb shell /system/bin/fbgrab -h 480 -w 800 /storage/${ssfilename}
echo "File written to /storage/${ssfilename}\n"
echo "Copy from device and remove? (Y/N) "
read savelocal
if [ ${savelocal} = "y" ] ; then
   ${sdk}/tools/adb pull /storage/${ssfilename} ${saveto} && ${sdk}/tools/adb shell rm -rf /storage/${ssfilename}
else
   echo ""
fi

The command fbgrad was disoriented by the values returned by the device, that is why I decided to block them.

Julien

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

oh ok, I'm with you now. I wasn't getting that this was something you had to be connected to run. Thanks for the help and all the work you do on this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Has anyone seen this yet ?

An App that apprently does Screenshots...Although it looks like is still requires Root:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/11/and ... ation.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nemesis wrote:
Has anyone seen this yet ?

An App that apprently does Screenshots...Although it looks like is still requires Root:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2008/11/and ... ation.html

Hey! I learned a new (Android?) term from this article:
Quote:
Once the screenshot is taken, you will get a toast on the bottom of the screen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Keep in mind that most apps that work on rooted Android devices will not work on a rooted A5A unless they're been specifically modified to do so. The su file is not where these apps will expect them to be (data/bin/su on the rooted A5A) and so they will fail. However, many devs will add in the required changes, you you can always read up on this and then make a polite and informed request to the developer.

And you might be getting a proper screenshot app for the rooted A5A soon anyway... ;)

Michael