Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted my speculations at: http://archosfans.com/2009/12/22/specul ... ow-at-ces/

What do you think about my speculations and what would you speculate will be shown?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Charbax,

I'd suspect the phone and the A7A for sure. I'd like to see some faster and if the new TI DSPs are register-level compatible with the current DSP in the A5A, why not use it, since you wouldn't have to rewrite the media player app to do it! Maybe 1Ghz cpu and 1080p on the A7a? Cool!

Now onto stuff we might see. As you said, Augmented reality is the Next Big ThingTM. So I'd expect cameras and magnetometers added to the devices. Add a vibe in as well to hit all the 'Google Experience' checkboxes.

What I'd like to see? A 'Google Goggle' Dock for existing A5As with a cam, vibe, and magnetometer, as well as all the usual dock functionality. That would make the current A5A Google-worthy as well. They'd sell a buttload of them. Hell, even at $149, sign me up!

I wouldn't expect a hardware refresh on the A5A till Q3 (for next Christmas), but one never knows!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

map002 wrote:
Maybe 1Ghz cpu and 1080p on the A7a? Cool!

If Texas Instruments also managed to increase decoding support to 1080p in the 45nm process 1ghz SoC, that would be cool as well. 1080p may not come before the OMAP4 though. Who knows, I was really surprised when Archos announced even somewhat limited 720p MKV H264 High Profile in the current generation.

map002 wrote:
As you said, Augmented reality is the Next Big ThingTM. So I'd expect cameras and magnetometers added to the devices. Add a vibe in as well to hit all the 'Google Experience' checkboxes.

Yup the vibe would be cool on the Archos 5AG, and Archos 4AG or whichever letter they should use to specify the Android models of the series with HSDPA built-in.

map002 wrote:
What I'd like to see? A 'Google Goggle' Dock for existing A5As with a cam, vibe, and magnetometer, as well as all the usual dock functionality. That would make the current A5A Google-worthy as well. They'd sell a buttload of them. Hell, even at $149, sign me up!

Yup a camera dock would be awesome. Archos has done it twice before to sell a camera add-on module:

In 2002:

In 2003:

It would be awesome to see a $59 camera module for the current Archos 5 IT that ads at least WVGA camera mode and the compass. If they make a version that includes HSDPA SIM Card modem, HDMI output, all into a compact Dock, then great.

An announcement for the support of HSDPA USB Dongles on the USB host Docks would be great.

map002 wrote:
I wouldn't expect a hardware refresh on the A5A till Q3 (for next Christmas), but one never knows!

Yes I do not expect Archos 5AG to replace Archos 5A, they would co-exist like the iphone and the ipod touch. I would expect prices to be optimized slightly after Christmas:

A5A 8GB: $199
A5A 16GB: $249
A5A 32GB: $299
A5A 64GB: $349
A5A 160GB: $299 - to eventually be expired or replaced by 250GB version
A5A 500GB: $349

and the new models that I expect from CES would be following:

A3VA 8GB: $80 - Like Archos 3 Vision but with Android and perhaps with WiFi

A4VA 8GB: $100 - Like Archos 3 Vision Android with a 4.3" screen and perhaps WiFi

A4A 8GB: $149
A4AG 8GB: $249

A5VA 8GB: $125 - Like Archos 3 Vision Android with 4.8" screen and perhaps WiFi

A5AG 8GB: $299
A5AG 32GB: $399
A5AG 500GB: $449

A7VA 8GB: $150 - Like Archos 3 Vision Android with 7" screen and perhaps WiFi

A7A 120GB: $299
A7A 500GB: $399
A7AG 120GB: $399
A7AG 500GB: $499

All the G models I expect would include HSDPA, Camera, Compass, Vibe, 1ghz, (maybe 1080p), (maybe built-in mini-HDMI), and maybe a slightly more compact form factor with less screen bezel.

And then I would think it would be cool also to see:

A9A 8GB: $200

A10A 8GB: $225

A12A 8GB: $250

A13A 8GB: $275

A15A 8GB: $300

Where those would be Laptop form factors with a swivel screen to turn it into a Tablet with a Pixel Qi screen. Based on the latest Texas Instruments ARM Cortex processors and running Chromium OS. With a module port for 3G or other wireless modems on top of built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. A built-in USB host port could do the trick to include the USB 3G Dongle within the design of the device and not sticking out. With a hard drive storage expansion slot also available to add any 2.5" hard drive. 2 SDHC card slots for flash based storage expansion would be nice. Coming with a triple boot of Chromium OS, Android OS and Ubuntu OS would be a nice trick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I hope/expect to see a stripped-down version of the A5.

Remember reading about the 'vision 4' and 'vision 7' series? Im not sure if the 4 was a typo, was it supposed to be 'vision 5' ?

No GPS, no bluetooth, no wi-fi. I will be honest and say I don't care about any of this. Take it all out and use the internal space for a bigger battery. Give me something just for videos, 10hr battery, make it cheaper and I will buy one.

Edit - needed to host pic link myself

Last edited by v_c on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

v_c wrote:
No GPS, no bluetooth, no wi-fi. I will be honest and say I don't care about any of this. Take it all out and use the internal space for a bigger battery. Give me something just for videos, 10hr battery, make it cheaper and I will buy one.

For sure Archos is working on cheaper PMPs. The thing is, it might make sense that Archos will use Android in all future products even the cheapest PMP ones. And perhaps it doesn't cost more than $2 to keep the WiFi capability. Though I don't know if there would be a way to provide all the video playback codecs and features (perhaps some of the codecs with plugins) and still keep the price low with a cheaper processor. For example Archos 3 Vision uses the Rockchip processor but that also provides pretty crappy video decoders compared to the latest Texas Instruments processor. And in that case, will WiFi web browsing also be fast on the cheapest PMP device or will that experience somehow be slower and in that case would the cost savings be enough.

Built-in HDMI output connectors would be nice, I wonder if HDMI is supposed to be able to be used also to power the device, or if the Dock still would be required to both recharge and output HDMI at the same time. Also, my guess is that including a full sized HDMI output connector might take up too much space, while the mini-HDMI connector requires a special cable or an adaptor in most cases.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
With it, Google will hopefully allow Archos to include the Google Marketplace by default. Really, I find that there would be absolutely no reason for Google not to authorize it at that point. Android 1.6 and 2.0 officially provide the support for 800×480 screen resolutions.

No hardware keys, camera, compass. All features that are required to carry google branding / 3rd party device for GApps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Charbax!

Charbax wrote:
If Texas Instruments also managed to increase decoding support to 1080p in the 45nm process 1ghz SoC, that would be cool as well. 1080p may not come before the OMAP4 though. Who knows, I was really surprised when Archos announced even somewhat limited 720p MKV H264 High Profile in the current generation.
You know, now that I think about it, probably not 1080p, as it *might* work but only on a few simpler video formats the way a few other upcoming devices will, but given their fan base, if they release a '1080p' device, people will scream if it's not 1080p in *all* the formats Archos supports. Archos might save themselves a lot of 'net complaining and wait for OMAP4, as you suggest.
Charbax wrote:
Yup the vibe would be cool on the Archos 5AG, and Archos 4AG or whichever letter they should use to specify the Android models of the series with HSDPA built-in.
To tell you the truth, I don't care about vibrating ring for the phone, I'd like it for haptic feedback! So they can include it HSDPA or no. And that gets them clear of any possible 'doesn't qualify for Google Experience' complaints.

Also, I lust less after 3G support after buying my MiFi... :D
Charbax wrote:
It would be awesome to see a $59 camera module for the current Archos 5 IT that ads at least WVGA camera mode and the compass. If they make a version that includes HSDPA SIM Card modem, HDMI output, all into a compact Dock, then great.

An announcement for the support of HSDPA USB Dongles on the USB host Docks would be great.

I'd line up and fork over money for any and all of that!!

Let's hope there's anything like these kind of peripherals with this kind of functionality on show!

And at the same time, I'm not expecting much of that, because I'm guessing it would need code to support it and I'd have all my coders fixing bugs in the shared Archos Android codebase before designing much new functionality aside from extensions for new chip support, if needed. The current codebase can work in both the A7A and the Phone, as well as any 3G enabled A5As and A7As. Android's got all the phone/data functionality covered without Archos having to code a line.

As for the pricing speculation, maybe! But I suspect you're a little low on some (possible) models given the specs and no carrier subsides. And I'd suspect Archos needs to keep the product lines down to a minimum to avoid market confusion over-saturation. They've got investors and creditors looking over their shoulder right now, so they'll have to make a limited number of compelling lines, methinks, to keep them happy and make the Archos story/market position clear. And I'm just guessing, of course.

As for Chromium, possible, but that would move those devices to Q3/Q4 before Chromium is out, stable and hardware accelerated unless I miss my guess. And I'd still rather have Android 2.x for the app support!

Looking forward to CES!

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Riley wrote:
No hardware keys, camera, compass. All features that are required to carry google branding / 3rd party device for GApps.
and vibrator.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

map002 wrote:
Riley wrote:
and vibrator.

Those requirements were only for Android 1.5. With Android 1.6 and 2.0 and 2.1 Google officially is supporting more hardware configurations. And even though Google wants to make sure Android does not branch out into too many different fragments, Google totally expects and wants to support all kinds of other devices, where 1.6 starts 800x480 screens support, where 2.0 continues it and where Android 2.1 is even designed to work on Laptops and I expect we will see ARM Powered laptops running Android 2.1 at CES as well.

map002 wrote:
As for Chromium, possible, but that would move those devices to Q3/Q4 before Chromium is out, stable and hardware accelerated unless I miss my guess. And I'd still rather have Android 2.x for the app support!

Looking forward to CES!

Chromium is out now, it's just the full Chrome OS optimized devices that comes not before Q3 and Q4.

What I think will happen is that ARM Powered Chrome OS Laptops will have Android apps support integrated as a little icon in Chrome OS. And that Android devices like Archos Tablets will have the full Chrome browser for ARM included to it in a simple Android app icon alternative to the touch-screen optimized Android web browser.

So basically Chrome OS and Android OS will somewhat merge and it will all be about the screen resolution and the possibility of using keyboard/mouse interface instead of only the touch screen.

So if Archos were to release ARM Powered laptops at CES, they would run Android for a start, and when the Chrome browser is available, it will simply add Chrome as an app. And when Chrome OS is ready, it will upgrade to Chrome OS with full Android apps support. But where more and more of the apps will become HTML5 based web apps while Chrome OS also gets all the notifications mechanisms, offline modes and hardware accelerations integrated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would expect them to announce their phone at CES. they have really been working hard on the media capability of the A5IT and all this work will transfer over to their phone device IMO.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:
Hi Charbax!

Charbax wrote:
You know, now that I think about it, probably not 1080p, as it *might* work but only on a few simpler video formats the way a few other upcoming devices will, but given their fan base, if they release a '1080p' device, people will scream if it's not 1080p in *all* the formats Archos supports. Archos might save themselves a lot of 'net complaining and wait for OMAP4, as you suggest.
Charbax wrote:
To tell you the truth, I don't care about vibrating ring for the phone, I'd like it for haptic feedback! So they can include it HSDPA or no. And that gets them clear of any possible 'doesn't qualify for Google Experience' complaints.

Also, I lust less after 3G support after buying my MiFi... :D
Charbax wrote:

I'd line up and fork over money for any and all of that!!

Let's hope there's anything like these kind of peripherals with this kind of functionality on show!

And at the same time, I'm not expecting much of that, because I'm guessing it would need code to support it and I'd have all my coders fixing bugs in the shared Archos Android codebase before designing much new functionality aside from extensions for new chip support, if needed. The current codebase can work in both the A7A and the Phone, as well as any 3G enabled A5As and A7As. Android's got all the phone/data functionality covered without Archos having to code a line.

As for the pricing speculation, maybe! But I suspect you're a little low on some (possible) models given the specs and no carrier subsides. And I'd suspect Archos needs to keep the product lines down to a minimum to avoid market confusion over-saturation. They've got investors and creditors looking over their shoulder right now, so they'll have to make a limited number of compelling lines, methinks, to keep them happy and make the Archos story/market position clear. And I'm just guessing, of course.

Looking forward to CES!

Michael

Archos and TI have to hurry then as we will see Tegra Second Generation Devices with 1080p support by next year also :), and Nvidia developed an excellent Video Decoder together with the feedback from the community and their 3rd Party Ecosystem Developers they ironed out most of the Software Problems and the Hardware part is top notch stable :) compared for example to all other Nvidias ASIC had no problems when Weighted P frames where introduced compared to a lot of Software Decoders also the TI Decoder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CruNcher wrote:
Archos and TI have to hurry then as we will see Tegra Second Generation Devices with 1080p support by next year also :), and Nvidia developed an excellent Video Decoder together with the feedback from the community and their 3rd Party Ecosystem Developers they ironed out most of the Software Problems and the Hardware part is top notch stable :) compared for example to all other Nvidias ASIC had no problems when Weighted P frames where introduced compared to a lot of Software Decoders also the TI Decoder.

Nvidia was not able to playback Youtube 720p HD with the Tegra 1 prototypes and was only using ARM11 technology. If Nvidia managed to improve decoding a lot and use ARM Cortex A8 instead that would be great! I would be surprised if Tegra 2 actually happen to already be ARM Cortex A9 technology and to be released soon after the showcase of the prototypes at CES which I am looking forward to film for my site http://armdevices.net

This seems to be a case of Nvidia figuring that Tegra 1 might not be powerful enough for mass market release, because of the older ARM11 technology used, so they may have decided to not release all the Laptops, Tablets and Phones powered by Tegra before they could upgrade to more modern PC-like technology.

If Nvidia can play all the advanced video codecs in HD with HDMI outputs that would be great. There are already 2 tablets pre-announced using Tegra to be shown at CES:

http://armdevices.net/2009/12/18/nvidia ... qi-screen/
http://gizmodo.com/5431065/7+inch-icd-u ... l-touch-it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
CruNcher wrote:

Nvidia was not able to playback Youtube 720p HD with the Tegra 1 prototypes and was only using ARM11 technology. If Nvidia managed to improve decoding a lot and use ARM Cortex A8 instead that would be great! I would be surprised if Tegra 2 actually happen to already be ARM Cortex A9 technology and to be released soon after the showcase of the prototypes at CES which I am looking forward to film for my site http://armdevices.net

This seems to be a case of Nvidia figuring that Tegra 1 might not be powerful enough for mass market release, because of the older ARM11 technology used, so they may have decided to not release all the Laptops, Tablets and Phones powered by Tegra before they could upgrade to more modern PC-like technology.

If Nvidia can play all the advanced video codecs in HD with HDMI outputs that would be great. There are already 2 tablets pre-announced using Tegra to be shown at CES:

The thing is in the labs everything worked already and also the prototypes played back 720p @ 10 mbits easily (and they also showed 1080p) the problem is you can't really check that as there few actually devices using the APX 2500 not to speak about the APX 2600 (Zune HD being currently the only one, but i don't see why it shouldn't hold on it's Baseline 720p 10 Mbits + B-frames promise) and most of them are restricted to the edge :( firmware wise in what they allow.
I tried some people with such Devices to playback my test streams but they don't even get recognized @ all so it seems the firmware strictly adheres to their Baseline path didn't tried that but sending all the time test samples to others without being able to confirm i have to say gets annoying over the time :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
CruNcher wrote:

The thing is in the labs everything worked already and also the prototypes played back 720p @ 10 mbits (and they also showed 1080p right on the screen via the black prototype box once) the problem is you can't really check that as there few actually devices using the APX 2500 not to speak about the APX 2600 (Zune HD being currently the only one, but i don't see why it shouldn't hold on it's Baseline 720p 10 Mbits + B-frames promise) and most of them are restricted to the edge :( firmware wise in what they allow.
I tried with some people with such Devices to playback my test streams but they don't even get recognized @ all so it seems the firmware strictly adheres to their Baseline path didn't tried that yet but sending all the time test samples to others without being able to confirm i have to say gets annoying over the time :(

I dont think those will be A9 based more A8 like all the other ones currently but who knows and yeah with all moved A8 now it makes no sense for Nvidia to market Tegra 1 for Laptops/Notebooks i actually didn't understand that move seeing all the A8 based Arm solutions being deployed or already on the market like the Archos 5 or the Iphone 3GS in those regards Nvidia looked way behind the Research and Deployment schedule even showing all those nice Power saving and hey we have x cores inside :P and pumping it up with all the Video Demos.
Qualcoms Snapdragon, Tis Omap3 and Samsungs S5PC100 are more widely on the Market now in REAL Devices then Nvidias 1st Generation APX 2500/600 hehe so imho that race is over for Nvidia ;)

No one ever could compare Tis Power saving on their Omap3 vs Nvidias Tegra yet either as there aren't many devices to compare against actually i know only of 2 Samsungs M1 small screen Amoled PMP and the Zune HD small screen Oled PMP (both in comparison of cost vs features are way behind our Archos 5 IT) that are in real on the market Physically available for everyone :D.
I guess some reviewers also would already get problems how to compare this efficiency between a TFT and Oled Device ;)

And somehow i doubt either of them can hold against our Omap 3440 Archos 5 IT maybe in absolute 3D Performance ok but not Applications and i begin to even doubt Video they only allow Baseline according to all the released Devices official specs it seems, so we will never actually know how much performant it is (was) in playing back High Profile anyways.

Personally im absolutely happy with my Archos 5 IT for the price i got it is unbeatable compared to any Tegra Device :) 230Ôé¼ for the 32 GB and that only some weeks after the release man im lucky ;)

Once the Platform will be fully opened (either by Archos or Hacker) it will be the beagleboard of Mobile Devices for the masses :)

Last edited by CruNcher on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the Tegra 2 comes with supposed 2 cores, it may very well sound like ARM Cortex A9, the question is then when would the Tegra 2 devices with ARM Cortex A9 be released.

ARM Cortex A9 technology has been released for many months, and all the ARM processor makers are working on it. Though what I thought was only samples for development would be available by now of OMAP4 and other ARM Cortex A9 processors and that actual products using that processor would not be released before Q3 or so.

ARM Cortex A9 is supposed to enable more than 2ghz dual-core computing at still very low power consumption, 1080p playback, 20 megapixel photo camera, 1080p camcorder and other crazy multimedia things. The multimedia things depending more on the ARM processor maker than on the actual ARM technology.

In any ways, I am pretty sure Archos and Texas Instruments will always be ahead of everyone else as long as you consider the time to market and the actual availability of products that implement each of the new levels of ARM processor technologies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Though the first Device that showed the full 3D capability of TI's Omap3 3430/40 wasn't any Archos Device :) but the Hack of the Samsung Omnia HD :) that was really like wow didn't we saw tht on the Tegra ;). True Archos showed what is currently maximum possible in their Device regarding Video :) and 3D yet to come and im really looking forward to this :D

Though for next year it seems Qualcoms gonna change the market a little with all the announced Snapdragon 1 GHz Devices no sign yet of TI here except Archos once again with the Archos Phone that battle will be really interesting :D
If the Benchmarks of the Nexus One are real that showed up you can already calculate the Performance win of the TI 1 Ghz vs it by using our assembled Archos 5 800 MHz IT data and @ the same time those of the Sony Xperia 10 ;)
Also we gonna see more S5PC100 based devices next year the Iphone 3GS and Odroid where just the start :D
Dont forget the Creative Zii so we have so many choices so heavy price fights still to come :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Charbax,

Good discussion!

Do you have a reference or URL for google changing their 'Google Experience' requirements? Of course I'm all for this but I've never seen Google say anything about this I could find.

And CruNcher, I'll believe a lot more of the Tegra hype when I see them doing complex 1080p decoding. Now Nvidea's got some hella-competent driver coders, so I don't doubt they could and maybe even faster to market than Ti, who doesn't have that kind of uber driver coder team. But I still want to see more than I've seen yet to make me a believer. 8)

And I agree, the competition is going to really dve both performance and price in some great directions. As long as there aren't too many more $250 Crunchpads appearing as $500 JooJoos... :D

Thanks All!

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax,

Is Archos going to have a booth at the CES? I would like to stop by and meet with them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cghori wrote:
Charbax,

Is Archos going to have a booth at the CES? I would like to stop by and meet with them.

I think perhaps they only have a private meeting room in a hotel somewhere. Hopefully they will invite me early so that I can make the videos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

A VOIP only phone is not feasible on GSM or 3G, (EDGE or HSDA). It may be feasible on LTE, but only 20MHz channels, not 5MHz Channels. This is because VOIP uses up to 10 times the data of gsm or 3G voice call and data is subsidized by voice calls at 100:1 to 350:1 depending on network
see http://www.techtir.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1832 and also http://www.wattystuff.net/issues/mobile-and-nbs/

Also latency, Jitter and packet loss on CDMA based data RF connections is terrible for lower bitrate IP based voice codec. (EVDO and 3G/HSPA are both CDMA based).

VOIP via WiFi is much inferior to a DECT handset (Digital Cordless Phone) in Quality, range and battery life, even when the DECT base is using VOIP via broadband router.

I tested much of both these issues in ISP R&D for nearly 4 years.

So there is little or no value for majority of users of VOIP on WiFi and especially on Mobile Network unless there is regular 3G/GSM/CDMA voice. The "3" Skype phone works well because in fact it is a regular 3G voice call and the Skype Client runs in the Mobile operator HQ server. A Java application in this case sets up or answers the call using the regular 3G voice call network. So only a small amount of GPRS type data is used, no actual VOIP on the Client.

In the same size Channel as 3G, the incompatible WiMax and LTE have only the same peak speed. The advantages of WiMax and LTE is lack of Cell Breathing and no loss of capacity when loaded (EVDO and HSPA loose over half capacity fully loaded so that average throughput can be 1/10th of peak. For VOIP, it's average throughput that counts), but the WiMax and LTE have same peak speed in same spectrum.
EVDO and 3G/HSPA are often much poorer on upload, typically 1/5th speed. VOIP needs same upload and download. Some fixed basic DSL can barely manage the VOIP upload.