Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just posted a video showing Youtube HD playback on the Archos 5 Internet Tablet here http://archosfans.com/2009/11/03/archos ... autifully/

I find it just awesome that Archos supports such awesome quality playback of Youtube videos. All of Normal, HQ and HD versions of Youtube work just perfectly and playback smoothly in full screen.

For now though, I don't think there is a way to choose which quality to playback from Normal, HQ and HD, I think Archos just picks the best available quality from using the Youtube API to extract the video URL when clicking play in an embedded Youtube video or clicking through the http://m.youtube.com interface. Yes, Youtube HQ and HD also is launched from any videos in http://m.youtube.com that are available in those qualities.

Archos 5 Internet Tablet plays Youtube HD much better than my 2ghz AMD Athlon 3500 desktop and probably much better than most netbooks powered by Intel Atom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That's nice and all...but I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with wanting to playback Youtube videos on their portable devices. What can you get from Youtube besides music videos, movie trailers, or annoying videos of 12 year old girls lip syncing the words to "I'm a Barbie Girl?" Give me full support for a site like Hulu and THEN you have something to be so excited about!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree with munkytown. In my opinion, youtube is only so big, when it comes to streaming.
I also would like to take the liberty of asking Mr Charbax, How often does his A5a crash, if at all.
Also, what is his main purpose or personal use for his A5a ?
Also, as Mr Charbax is french (i think !), how does he feel the upcoming Evigroup wallet will compare to the A5a.

Thank you Mr Charbax for your answers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

munkytown71 wrote:
That's nice and all...but I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with wanting to playback Youtube videos on their portable devices. What can you get from Youtube besides music videos, movie trailers, or annoying videos of 12 year old girls lip syncing the words to "I'm a Barbie Girl?" Give me full support for a site like Hulu and THEN you have something to be so excited about!

I found a YouTube video showing how to replace the lamp in my Sony HDTV. I found another video about a DIY solar charger for a cell phone. There are all kinds of videos on YouTube other than what you mention.
One person's trash is another person's treasure. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
I just posted a video showing Youtube HD playback on the Archos 5 Internet Tablet ...

Thanks Charbax.

Watched your video and tried it with one of my 1280x720 videos on YouTube. It works well!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Super Smooth ! Nice choice of video also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

munkytown71 wrote:
That's nice and all...but I don't get why so many people are so obsessed with wanting to playback Youtube videos on their portable devices. What can you get from Youtube besides music videos, movie trailers, or annoying videos of 12 year old girls

Youtube has basically everything, millions of awesome videos as well, even some legal tv shows and movies depending on the rights they can get. Soon enough Youtube will have all tv shows and movies, all in HD quality and legally.

Hulu could work as we'll in HD quality if hulu allowed API access to ther videos, they won't for now cause they cannot show ads through the API and cause they don't want to compete with reglar networks.

In my video I show Youtube HD on my HDTV, that's the awesome use of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dsf_70 wrote:
Evigroup

It's is a vaporware brand. I filmed their android tablet at IFA http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/5-inch-and ... t-by-smit/ , it's vaporware.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:16 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You tube Soccer Videos rock!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
munkytown71 wrote:

I found a YouTube video showing how to replace the lamp in my Sony HDTV. I found another video about a DIY solar charger for a cell phone. There are all kinds of videos on YouTube other than what you mention.
One person's trash is another person's treasure. :D

I find videos like that also and yes they are useful but I have basically no use for them on a portable device, at least I haven't found the need for them on a portable device. What I DO have a use for on my Archos though, is streaming tv shows and movies. Right now Youtube doesn't offer anything worthwhile in that dept. in my opinion, especially when it comes to full length tv shows or movies. I don't want to just watch a 30 second clip from a tv show or have to watch a show that's divided up into 5 or 6 separate 3 or 4 minute videos. If Charbax is right and Youtube is eventually going to be providing full length tv shows AND movies and still for FREE, then I'll join the Youtube bandwagon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

dsf_70 wrote:
I also would like to take the liberty of asking Mr Charbax, How often does his A5a crash, if at all.

Hmmm. Interesting, Charbax avoided answering this one. :-k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

youtube HD is fun for some, but most of the time, the device would show a black screen, no video but only sound. Then the user would have to reset the device to get the pictures back on again. this is definately more trouble in rebooting the drvice then enjoying youtube. #-o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax geez in the Video you say something like "All big companies have been trying todo this" come one it's just ridiculous how you marketing that thing This H.264 Decoding Goals have been in research for very long and if you have to give anyone respect for what you see there happening then it is definitely Arm and Texas Instruments (and who ever implements the H.264 Video Decoder on their DSP).
Without their R&D Archos would have nothing to show and you would have nothing to Market with you super excentric Voice good advice from me for your try to become a little more authentic, we already entered the 1080p research time and Products will be showing up next year (already show up in Asia now) so what you see is already old and will be replaced soon by 1080p Playback and then it will be the full Blu-Ray experience ;)

Archos just swims currently with all the others on the 720p market introduction on Mobile Devices but the real fighters in that front are companies like Arm, Marvel, Nvidia, TI, Intel, Telechips , Samsung, Qualcom.
Archos with a lot of enthusiasm does the Design and Software Development and Integration now with Android (Avos which Archos whole fame is build up wouldn't exist without Linux) for these Platforms but it's not all their effort to bring what you see on the Market, but you let it sound like it in your Videos.

And Archos also hasn't the best Engineers @ all (unfortunately you can see that already in how bugged still their whole Platform Integration is Avos + Android) just look @ Sony Ericssons Rachel UI and how that Integrates into Android that is Software Engineering and Design @ it's best (ok might not be fair to compare a French Backyard Business from 1988 with Sony Corporation) :D and from that Archos is still far far away from, they really have to get really good with their Archos Phone now to beat that ;)
And in those Regards Archos didn't evolved much when they where founded back in 1988 to now if you compare it to Sony ;) in those 20 years Sony was one of the Market Leaders and one of the biggest Research Entities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
dsf_70 wrote:
Evigroup

It's is a vaporware brand. I filmed their android tablet at IFA http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/5-inch-and ... t-by-smit/ , it's vaporware.

Thank you Charbax for this info.
But you failed to answer my other questions,
a) On Crashes
b) Personal use of A5a.

The reason why i ask is simple, You are the guru of the A5a. You would not standby the product if you did not thoroughly believe in it.
I, however. Would like to purchase this product, if it fits into my needs as a portable device. A lot of end users have probably bought into the A5a to do all sorts of things (too much in my opinion) and are finding out, it has its limitations. After all, there is only so much 'stuff' you can put in any 1 device/box. Something has to give.
So i'm thinking, you could advise me on the 'best purpose' or 'best practice/usage' for the device. So it will work without crashes/glitches and fulfills all its glory.
Hypothetically speaking - i.e. If the Android software is a failure and the music player does not work then its more of a portable video player and internet tablet.
If it installs and plays all Android apps without trouble and the music and video player does not work pefectly, then its best usage is as an android device.
Do you get what i am saying...?
I just need to know what you think the primary usage of this device should be, so it works without hinderance.
Can you help me Mr Charbax ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CruNcher wrote:
Charbax geez in the Video you say something like "All big companies have been trying todo this" come one it's just ridiculous

Archos is the first on the market with Youtube HD playback.

LG, Philips, Panasonic, Samsung and all the other big ones, even Apple TV, Roku and others, NONE of those giant companies are able to display Youtube HD on the HDTV.

I've seen all their attempts at making Youtube set-top-boxes, none of them can display even HQ SD Youtube quality.

CruNcher wrote:
just look @ Sony Ericssons Rachel UI

The whole point of my video is $250 Archos 5 Internet Tablet (street price and including HDMI Mini Dock) can display Youtube HD on a HDTV, while $2000 Sony Ericsson (with stupid phone contract) cannot.

Even the much more expensive Sony PS3 and Microsoft xbox360 canNOT display Youtube HD quality on your HDTV.

HTPCs running Boxee does not count since that is a full expensive and power consuming PC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dsf_70 wrote:
I just need to know what you think the primary usage of this device should be, so it works without hinderance

For browsing, video playback (from internal or remote network storage), and for certain Android apps, it is already pretty much perfect. Although things will even improve in firmware updates especially on the Android application side of things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The problem is these systems aren't open enough to allow that and we consumers the whole time have to hack them the same what will happen with the Archos 5 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
dsf_70 wrote:
I just need to know what you think the primary usage of this device should be, so it works without hinderance

For browsing, video playback (from internal or remote network storage), and for certain Android apps, it is already pretty much perfect. Although things will even improve in firmware updates especially on the Android application side of things.

Thank you Mr Charbax, Perfect answer. This will keep my expectations firmly grounded. Looking upon other qualities of the A5a, as a hit and miss plus. I use my mobile/BB for mp3's and calls. An 13" MBP for my true computing needs. I was thinking A5a or A9 as a mobile surfing device for email, blah blah blah. With the possibility to d/l and review attachments from emails etc. The fonts are too small on a BB/mobile. A MBP is too large to carry around in todays mobile device world. Hence, my frustrations with the ever elusive A9. its a hmm? size. Too big for your pocket, to small for a bag. in a sleeve, i'll lose it.....

If i am absolutely honest, i have been looking at the htc hd2 all morning. screen sizes got me interested, 4.3 v 4.8.... Price absolutely strangled me. £500 approx, almost double that of the A5a.. Kind of settled it .

i will do an in depth search into exchange mail apps on the A5a and how the device responds to the code.
Stability being the keyword.
Thank you for taking the time out to answer my boring questions. I hope the answers you have given help other end users, to stop and think. Before getting frustrated by buying the device for the wrong purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
CruNcher wrote:
Charbax geez in the Video you say something like "All big companies have been trying todo this" come one it's just ridiculous

Archos is the first on the market with Youtube HD playback.

LG, Philips, Panasonic, Samsung and all the other big ones, even Apple TV, Roku and others, NONE of those giant companies are able to display Youtube HD on the HDTV.

I've seen all their attempts at making Youtube set-top-boxes, none of them can display even HQ SD Youtube quality.

CruNcher wrote:
just look @ Sony Ericssons Rachel UI

The whole point of my video is $250 Archos 5 Internet Tablet (street price and including HDMI Mini Dock) can display Youtube HD on a HDTV, while $2000 Sony Ericsson (with stupid phone contract) cannot.

Even the much more expensive Sony PS3 and Microsoft xbox360 canNOT display Youtube HD quality on your HDTV.

HTPCs running Boxee does not count since that is a full expensive and power consuming PC.

Where can you buy an Archos 5 Android + mini dock for $250? I'm guessing that's more conjecture on your part. Though perhaps not as ridiculous as your conjecture that all content will soon be available legally on youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

$249 MSRP means soon below $200 at the cheapest resellers. That's for sure availabe, if not within a few weeks, then at least before the Sony Ericsson Rachael Android phone.

I don't know what price Archos is deciding to sell the HDMI Mini Dock, I'm guessing $49 or less would be reasonable, unless Archos decides to price it higher to not replace too many DVR Station sales.