Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not seen this posted as yet so I'd thought I'd post it now:

http://update.archos.com/7/archos5/changes_firmware_archos5.html

Looks like they have fixed some of the crashes.

Quote:
Version 1.2.03 - October 21st, 2009

Android applications: all Archos default Android applications are installed during firmware update process after reboot if not present on the disk
Web browser: fix some random crashes
Youtube: solve some video playback issues
TV output: setup wizard shows a picture of the connectors and cable
TV output: fix AC3 sound being stereo only on SPDIF/HDMI
TV output: provide higher HDMI output volume
Android sound recorder: recording is now performed at 44.1kHz

Links to previous firmware release threads:

Firmware 1.1.01

TimCS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

timcs wrote:

Looks like they have fixed some of the crashes

Direct link to download it also:

http://update.archos.com/7/archos5/arch ... rchos5.aos

Any one updated yet? Can you also downgrade on this firmware? Previous ones where not locked...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sound is still NOT in sync on AC3 MKV files. The one that i have that even runs has out of sync sound. Not a great start.
Unit still completely crashes when trying to go from UPNP sharing from my server back to the home screen.
Sound recorder quality has indeed been improved and is now very good.
All default android apps were also installed upon reboot as described.

I do not have a DVR station in order to test anything else. All in all a very minor update, ignoring the main things like video playback. Just fix the bloody MKV files Archos.

Last edited by perrin21 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

timcs wrote:

Looks like they have fixed some of the crashes

Huh. That's weird, since that update I'm getting crashes while playing any video files using the archos media apps, pretty frequent too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:45 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Change list:

Version 1.2.03 - October 21st, 2009

Android applications: all Archos default Android applications are installed during firmware update process after reboot if not present on the disk
Web browser: fix some random crashes
Youtube: solve some video playback issues
TV output: setup wizard shows a picture of the connectors and cable
TV output: fix AC3 sound being stereo only on SPDIF/HDMI
TV output: provide higher HDMI output volume
Android sound recorder: recording is now performed at 44.1kHz

Definitely a couple things I've been hoping for, like AC3 fixes and higher HDMI volume when using DVR Station. Downloading now!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The new CNet mini-review states that the GPS should be faster, but it is not mentioned in the release notes.

Quote:
...its GPS reception is spotty and takes an inordinate amount of time to locate a signal. After talking with Archos about the issue, they acknowledged the problem exists and told me that next week's firmware update should improve things.

Can anyone confirm that it is now faster to lock?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kendrid wrote:
The new CNet mini-review states that the GPS should be faster, but it is not mentioned in the release notes.

Quote:
...its GPS reception is spotty and takes an inordinate amount of time to locate a signal. After talking with Archos about the issue, they acknowledged the problem exists and told me that next week's firmware update should improve things.

Ok this is by no means difinitive as my ndrive maps have expired so ive had to use GPS status from andappstore. I got a gps coordinate in just over 1 minute from my back yard the first time, then i restarted the device and it took 16 seconds to find me again. Progress id say.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A busy day for Archos! We have a new firmware available for our "old" Archos 5s as well! :)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26717

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

kendrid wrote:

Definitely faster for me... indoors it locked in less than 3 minutes, it was a lot longer than that the other day (this is using the NDrive GPS app)...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Youtube now works best using the Archos Media Center as the default for all Youtube playback!

It is now playing back Youtube HQ quality by default when available and even Youtube in HD quality when available!

If you have set the Youtube.apk to be the default Youtube player, you can unset it in Settings / Applications / Youtube / Clear Defaults. Then it asks you again which program you want to use next time you try to play a Youtube video.

Yup!!! When available, it now streams Youtube HD 1280x720 2mbit/s quality right there!!!!!

I like this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've just tried you tube. One video played, the next crashed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

perrin21 wrote:
I've just tried you tube. One video played, the next crashed.

I haven't experienced any Youtube HD crashes yet, though there is the same audio synch issue as with the other h264 HD files playback. You can test HD Youtube using any of my embedded Youtube videos at techvideoblog.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

just tested the mkv playback, it has been improved,but not enough. subtitles still don't display correctly and of course there is the out of sync problem. To be fair though there alot of videos that didnt play at all that plays now, but, those where just avi files and that could just be because of the update that the regular 5 received.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can anyone else confirm that they are having problems with UPNP sharing and playback. I find it completely locks up my device until its restarted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Crlrhxphn wrote:
just tested the mkv playback, it has been improved,but not enough. subtitles still don't display correctly and of course there is the out of sync problem. To be fair though there alot of videos that didnt play at all that plays now, but, those where just avi files and that could just be because of the update that the regular 5 received.

Ive just tested most of my MKV files and not one of them worked at all. Just got the usual profile and level not supported message. They arent even 720p, they are compressed DVD's with AC3 audio. Nothing spectacular. but hey, not to worry, i can always watch youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

perrin21 wrote:
Crlrhxphn wrote:

Ive just tested most of my MKV files and not one of them worked at all. Just got the usual profile and level not supported message. They arent even 720p, they are compressed DVD's with AC3 audio. Nothing spectacular. but hey, not to worry, i can always watch youtube.

I would like to ask you that everytime you speak about MKV support on your files that you mention that your MKV files are home made on a Mac and are using non-standard resolutions not divisible by 16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
perrin21 wrote:
Crlrhxphn wrote:

I would like to ask you that everytime you speak about MKV support on your files that you mention that your MKV files are home made on a Mac and are using non-standard resolutions not divisible by 16.

Home made? where else would they be made? And whats wrong with encoding on a mac? Archos says, it will play MKV files they dont say they must be divisible by 16 and only wear pink underwear. Play means play charbax. im not the only one having problems.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

and again.. buy an ipod.... :roll:

2 hours ago, a GPS signal was not possible, neither in the office nor on the street.... How long needs the device now for checking and getting the GPS signal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i guess the reason why most are here is because they dont want a device that works straight out of the box, if its got bugs and problems it becomes a hobby lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry. There are too many codecs with too many options, but you must always use a standard coding (for example a standardised GOP structure for mpg files). All the freaks with her own codecs at home don┬┤t use standardised options. That┬┤s the matter.

How many codecs supports the ipod? :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next