Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Note: The first page is updated regularly to reflect the discussions in this thread and the additions in the wiki.

What is Supported ?

Archos has added tethering support for both Bluetooth DUN and PAN as of Firmware 1.7.71. Firmware 1.7.77 adds an option to select either DUN or PAN connection
    Firmware 1.7.73 and earlier only had Bluetooth DUN Support.
    Ad-Hoc connections can now be made by editing configuration files on the device

Phones that successfully tether?

An updated list of phones (tested by users of this forum) is available in the wiki. Please add phones that work in the wiki or report them in a reply in this thread so that they can be added to the list.

How to tether / Instructions?

Instructions on how to tether some phones can be found in the wiki (see link below). Please add your instructions to the wiki of report them in a reply in this thread so that they can be added to the wiki.

How to create Ad-Hoc connection using Windows Mobile Device? (by DrEllisDee)

Tethering FAQ's

Q: My phone is listed in the working section but i still cannot tether...why?
    A: This may be due to several reasons.
      1. Your service provider might have blocked tethering or you might need an additional tethering plan to be able to tether.
      2. You are entering the wrong APN settings
      3. You are not using the correct procedure to tether.
      4. Tethering for your phone broke in a later firmware and the wiki wasn't updated.
      5. The phones was wrongly added to the working list.

Q: On the Archos i get 'Paired but not connected' message .. does that matter?
    A: No! tethering should work as long as the phone is paired. It does not need to be connected.

Direct links to tethering discussion based on firmware

Firmware 1.7.77 : http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=26482&start=311
Firmware 1.7.71 : http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=26482&start=228

Please try to be active and not passive so that we can a richer wiki and a more informed community. Please share your bluetooth tethering experience here......lets collaborate.

Updates (Reverse chronological order):

[Feb 20 2010] Updated to reflect fw 1.7.77
[Feb 15 2010] Added many Tethering instructions to wiki. added FAQ questions., added phones to wiki
[Feb 13 2010] Added Tethering instructions for Windows Mobile 6.1 Phone on AT&T USA - PAN Connection for Firmware 1.7.71 or later in Wiki.
[Feb 12 2010] Took over the thread from Charbax and changed topic name. Added and populated 'What is Supported' , 'Phones that Successfully tether' , 'How to Tether / Instructions' , 'Tethering FAQ's' , 'Direct links to tethering discussion based on firmware' & 'Updates' sections.

Last edited by Charbax on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Taken over by Desigunda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:13 pm 
Errrmm... the iPhone does support BT PAN as of OS 3.0 - http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

Has anyone tried it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

iPhone tethering hasn't been implemented by AT&T in USA. It may work on other carriers. I couldn't get it to work on Blackberry Bold but tethering works on my Nokia E71.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am posting this teathered via my n95. I find it works fairly well, I have some odd issues with my phone trying to re-pair but it doesn't cause too much of a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:16 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

alsutton wrote:
Errrmm... the iPhone does support BT PAN as of OS 3.0 - http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

Has anyone tried it?

Yes, this is correct. But the feature is locked by software until you decide to pay special extra fees to your phone operator. This is the case when you have a contratc with Orange FR though, but I guess that it is the same regarding other operators. Yes I did hack my iPhone to use the function until I decided to update to 3.1.2 and since then the hack is dead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't know about BlackBerry, Android, and iPhone, but WinMo phones come with a tethering application by default. Not sure how much more support archos could want from the manufacturer than that. If the archos won't tether with my HTC winmo phone, which tethers with any computer I throw at it, through bluetooth, usb, AND wifi, then that's definitely archos' problem, not HTC's.

At the very least, the fact that I won't even consider purchasing the archos until it's confirmed that it'll tether with winmo phones is archos' problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

From experience most Sony Ericsson 3G phones I can think of supports use as a dial up modem over Bluetooth.
With Bluetooh you will always be limited to the 380kbit/s or so download speed that link offers
(what you get with regular 3G) even though a specific phone model might support both HSDPA and HSUPA speeds over USB.
i tried the tablet with a W995 over BT some minutes ago and this works fine. There might be some issue
with reconnection if you go out of Bluetooth range between the units.
This might be something for tablet f/w to improve upon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I haven't been able to connect my Blackberry 8330 with the Archos. The Archos states its paired but not connected. The odd thing is my phone connects with my Archos. I say this because the blue colored Bluetooth light starts flashing on my phone. Dial up networking is checked on my phone. This leads me to think its a problem on the Archos side. Its not creating my phones 'profile'. When you select a paired Bluetooth device from the Archos Bluetooth page you get two options: Unpair and Options. For my car the profile is populated so i can check the connect box and it connects. So when I select my phone from the Bluetooth device list I go to options and nothing is populated in the profiles section. I can check the connect box but it doesn't save.

I was able to pair and connect my Archos with my car. However no sound is coming from my cars stereo speakers. Any help with that issue?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

it is good for the LG K501

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The company who sells IPhone/IPhone 3GS on my country (Movistar) permit tethering with some of it's data contracts.
So, my question is:
If I have an IPhone that have tethering active can I use this functionality with the A5A?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, not on a legal iPhone. My phone is legal so I can't actually access the tethering option (don't know why, just know that it doesn't seem to appear). I did come across a link that might be hand:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/17/en ... iphone-30/

If anyone has a jailbroken iPhone and can run the terminal, can they post if it works. If it does then I'm jailbreaking this puppy as Apple are slowing me down (again).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can anyone check the Nokia N97 for me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder, does anyone know how to figure out which may be the cheapest Nokia, LG, Samsung, Motorola or other phones broadly available on the market (to buy unlocked from e-commerce sites) that provide Bluetooth tethering for either up to GPRS, up to UMTS or up to HSDPA speeds?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have been successful with tethering my Samsung jet 8000 to my Archos on Orange.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a iPhone 3G.
I'm able to tethering with any laptop that supports bluetooth however I'm not able to do it with A5IMT.
I guess it's something related to the itunes software and/or drivers it installs.
With a laptop I can only tether if I have iTunes installed... and the same is true with the USB cable.

Apple is always trying to make us depend on their tools.... argh..

cheers,
AntunesN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I wonder if it only supports DUN and not PAN. I ran into that problem when I had a nokia n800, it appeared linux didn't have great pan support at the time.

I know windows mobile devices only support pan and from what people are saying the same goes for the iphone. Has anyone had trouble teathering to a dun profile phone?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

When trying to tether an android phone you do need to have root access (hack the os) this is easily done but some maynot want to do this.

As for a cheap BT phone - I have always found Nokia to be a piece of cake for linking to my laptop UMPC what ever.

Tethering (via BT or USB) is not a new thing and so most if not all 'decent' brand phones come with the ability to do it. And its easy set BT going on your phone in discoverable mode and connect (the pin is usually 1111 or 0000 or 1234)

Once Archos get my A5A to me Ill be tethering with my hero (candidate for the strangest sentence I have ever written!!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

gurry wrote:
Once Archos get my A5A to me Ill be tethering with my hero (candidate for the strangest sentence I have ever written!!)

Will be interested to hear how you get on as I can't tether my rooted Hero using the "Wireless Tether For Root Users".

I also tried with an HTC 6500 - no joy there either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Nokia N97 And N96 Work superbly,you have to turn off remote sim in bluetooth settings(I don't even know what that does but when i turn it on tethering does not work)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asarao123 wrote:
My Nokia N97 And N96 Work superbly,you have to turn off remote sim in bluetooth settings(I don't even know what that does but when i turn it on tethering does not work)

Great this was just the news i was waiting for i can hook it up to my n97 thats made my mind up im investing in the 500gb model
So what sort of performance you had using the n97 if you dont mind me asking

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next