Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now in download!

Changelog:

Version 1.1.01 - October 12th, 2009

Bluetooth: provide better auto-reconnect support for A2DP headsets
Multimedia: faster MKV parser implementation and smoother H264 playback
Cell phone tethering for data access: tethering is supported under Archos Media Center and Android is now made aware of tether network connectivity
Sound recorder: add capability to record in PCM under android
TV output support: desktop icons are now resized to avoid overlapping on PAL/NTSC output
USB connection: a ftp and samba server are running on the device when mounting usbnet connection, device behaves now like a network file server
Android debug bridge: ADB is now enabled with user shell privilege
Recording: sound saturation issue has been fixed
Archos media center launcher widget: provide a faster shortcuts display
Hardware support: improved GPS and Wi-Fi driver

Post subject: Re: New Firmware 1.1.01
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ahahaha incedible!

Sufring with Browser and 2 force close in 5 minutes... playful boys at archos!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

im not going to report on stability until ive tried it but, its a very disappointing list of fixes. Nothing on there thats really bugging people. And what about 1.6???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

perrin21 wrote:
im not going to report on stability until ive tried it but, its a very disappointing list of fixes. Nothing on there thats really bugging people. And what about 1.6???

It's 1.5 version. #-o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

On the positive side, this firmware addresses some issues that were highlighted right at launch (such as Android Debug Bridge). So it shows they are listening to customer feedback. It also shows the several week cycle it takes to develop and fully test a new firmware. This is understandable and quite normal time-delay in the industry. The feature list of this firmware would have been decided (and locked down) several weeks ago, probably late September.

This is before the widespread reports of crashing. So you have to hope/assume they are working on the stability currently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I can't get the ADB mode to work, still can't connect/tether to my mobile, at least I now know that the microphone works as I can see the "meter" move as I make a recording. It took me a couple of minutes to fund what happened to the recordings but they are stored in the "root" directory - the quality is pretty abysmal for a 128kb/s 16bit PCM at 8Khz. Can't find any option to change the quality/sampling rate when setting up a recording.

Still, looking on the bright side - at least Archos are making some kind of effort - It's just a shame that they don't seem to let anyone know what is going on or provide any sort of feedback in a public way.

Last edited by Tablet5 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:37 pm 
I'm happy to see ADB included in here, but I'm going to be waiting for the stability (or instability) reports before counting this as a good thing.

My preference is to see the firmware stabilised with features then added instead of a feature packed unstable release, because an unstable firmware is going to chase users away in far greater numbers than the number of users who will use the device now ADB is supported.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 pm 
Tablet5 wrote:
I can't get the ADB mode to work

Isn't it just a setting in the USB mode menu?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alsutton wrote:
Tablet5 wrote:
I can't get the ADB mode to work

Isn't it just a setting in the USB mode menu?

Yes - changed the setting, connected the USB, fired up Android SDK but no device found. Tried several times. Must be some quirk to getting it recognised by the SDK.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

v_c wrote:

This is before the widespread reports of crashing. So you have to hope/assume they are working on the stability currently.

They have to have known about the crashing long before we got our hands on the units. There is no way it never crashed for them doing basic tasks such as browsing or setting up wi-fi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kendrid wrote:

They have to have known about the crashing long before we got our hands on the units. There is no way it never crashed for them doing basic tasks such as browsing or setting up wi-fi.

Hey, im not defending them, anything but. It sucks that they would release a device with such apparent instability.

Alls im saying is that it is positive that they appear to be responding to some of the issues or feature requests that were raised on the forum. It shows that they are doing something. So now lets make sure all bug reports are clearly described and explained. I have already asked Charbax to update the bug report thread with all the issues that have been described by users (I originally started it and planned to update it, but can't update it anywmore because he split the thread and took ownership of the original post).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:18 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

ADB drivers should be on ftp://support.archos.com shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jaffar wrote:
ADB drivers should be on ftp://support.archos.com shortly.

LONG TIME NO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you're here, any (huge) plans on fixing instability?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Very pleased to see someone from Archos here from time to time. It helps customers feel that Archos care about supporting customers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

well I for one am not freaking out like a certain young hellion on this board. The device is hardly even released, and still selling at MSRP. Give Archos some time to work out the kinks! It's still the #1 gadget on my radar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

They seemed to mess with the default search bar. It doesn't sit On the top anymore. It likes to be in the way. So damned annoying I disabled it.

Unfortunately the open search bar does not have a go option. So I now have to open the browser to go to an address.... Oh well.... As far as stability goes I'm still not to sure. I am not planning on doing a fresh install until right before I Go on my year long business trip. Why loose everything for an already buggy system? I also disabled the auto orientation so that might have helped. only time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jaffar wrote:
I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

So do you recommend that the user first go in the recovery mode and format the whole storage (make a backup first) before updating to this new firmware?

I would advise Archos to try to give any tips for how to avoid the memory leaks or other bugs that are identified. Something like if Archos could "simply" provide an official bug reports and suggestions for "Clear cache and temp files" or "Full recovery through format/restore". Which file types or apps to avoid trying to load (which may cause memory leaks?). I mean, if you can find the time, that would be helpful.

It would also help to lower the noise level coming from the forum trolls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jaffar wrote:

Fresh install as in recovery and do a format?

That's unacceptable in terms of inconvenience and effectiveness. How many people would know that you should do that? The firmware should fix instabilities without having the user to do a fresh install.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Anxious to hear the proper steps to apply this update. I downloaded and installed it as I normally would (before I saw this post).

Result = Many apps crashing or encountering errors now that used to be stable, including AppLib, And AppStore, OIUpdate, Aldiko, Quickpedia, FBReader, NDrive Demo, FunkyExpenses. I definately took a step backwards by applying this update.

Suggest holding off on installing this update until clear instructions are provided and some "alpa" testers confirm that it works.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next