Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted this pretty cool video at http://archosfans.com/2009/10/06/the-be ... the-world/

I'm looking forward to plenty more videos showing all the best Android apps and how they work on this device.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I love how you don't hesitate to take article titles to their extreme Charbax ;-)

It's difficult to tell actually how good this is to dedicated ebook readers. Content is key and I personally can't find too much long-term interest in public domain books.
Based on the fact that most modern books are DRM-protected you could take the stance that this device is useless.

However, as we move forward, things could change. The physics of the device feel good so if we ever see a reader that can access commercial content then the Archos 5 is one to consider if you accept LED backlit screens.

I need to test some PDF readers on the Archos next I think.

Chippy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not that I would encourage it, but I think that you can pirate basically any book on the Internet using certain p2p technologies and even direct download systems. Of course nobody would be allowed to link to any of that stuff from here.

In terms of it being absolutely the best e-reader device, I would of course recommend that Archos try to get a Pixel Qi LCD screen on there as soon as there is one at 4.8" and 800x480 that would become available.

Although 6" and 8" e-ink readers have larger screens, I think the pocketability of 4.8" Archos outweights those larger screens and that these good looking Android e-reader software should display the e-books optimally on the screen.

Having the e-reader always in your pocket, obviously, easy to use 3G, preferably with a 3G SIM card built-in in my taste, would of course be best, since you would just pull it out the pocket and load RSS feeds, articles, http://fastflip.google.com type of interfaces, e-books, and even colorful digital magazines.

I don't think I would read full books using Archos backlit LCD, even with night mode or with turning down the backlight intensity. Though if Archos can get to use a Pixel Qi screen in the next few months, I am pretty sure this could be pretty much perfection.

Android apps would also enable the most awesome systems to manage collaborative annotations using a stylus or fingers, using something like SideWiki to share annotations for any text on the whole web and to use something like Google Wave to collaborate in editing any type of documents.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The devil is in the details....Archos Android will more likely be empowered by the applications and the E-book reader is one fine example of that. There are companies that tot themselves as gurus when it comes to ebooks and I am betting that this application as demonstrated by Chippy can top that. As for the best E-book reader well that's our Charbax as usual.

It's demonstrations like these that will elevate Archos Android and I would like to say to Chippy thanks for the amazing feedback as well as illustrations and some criticing in there. I like the fact that you also managed to indicate just how long Archos Android can operate with wifi and without. This is starting to shape up into something one could travel with on long flights and bus rides.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the feedback grenso.
I've been enjoying the Archos despite the issues and just hope that Archos sees that they need to invest more into QC otherwise the device will lose momentum and get steamrolled by the next device.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I wonder how fast updates will come since android 1.6 is out. Will they try to work with that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Uh, I think the sony reader might be a bit better. You know, the longer lasting battery, faster page turning, more formats. But thats just me, though. Got lucky and paid 150 for it brand new.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Junior wrote:
Uh, I think the sony reader might be a bit better. You know, the longer lasting battery, faster page turning, more formats. But thats just me, though. Got lucky and paid 150 for it brand new.

Pixel Qi LCD is better than E-ink in my opinion. Pixel Qi LCD can use 100 times less power than a normal LCD, and be nearly just as readable as E-Ink, for much cheaper and with full color when you turn on the backlight. Check my videos of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8WoItVRn0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The BEST in the WORLD!!

1 million billion times better than the previous best! Real scientific measurements were used to calculate that number!

Where's the emoticon of a head shaking in disbelief?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Junior
as a pure ebook reader maybe, but the archos does so much more, using it as a ereader is a bonus.

RioT
Archos being Archos would probably try and charge you to download, it even thought they have nothing to to do with Andriod :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

may not be the best in the world .... but yeah definitely "one of the best"
that sweet resolution + awesome apps from Android, takes the customization factor X 10
Can't wait to get my hands on this baby soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had the 5IT a week or so now and use FBReader for epubs and Thinkfree for PDFs. Content is key, so I find myself reading PDFs in Reading mode more often than FBReader. The readers should find ways to integrate pay sites for content. The night mode on FBReader is great, but still a little bright in a dark room even when setting the brightness all the way down. I wish I could play with the contrast, that would be awesome since black isn't a very dark black.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

KMY wrote:
I had the 5IT a week or so now and use FBReader for epubs and Thinkfree for PDFs. Content is key, so I find myself reading PDFs in Reading mode more often than FBReader. The readers should find ways to integrate pay sites for content. The night mode on FBReader is great, but still a little bright in a dark room even when setting the brightness all the way down. I wish I could play with the contrast, that would be awesome since black isn't a very dark black.

Where can we download those?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I frequently use my iPod Touch 1g as an ebook reader so the much larger screen on the 5 IMT would be a huge improvement. It's also higher res than the iPod and has far more memory as well. As Charbax indicated you can get a lot of books via p2p and usenet and as long as you own the book in paper or some other legal format I feel no compunction against having it in electronic format. There are also many free books available and thousands of public domain books. I have a Sony Reader and it's limitations mean I rarely have it with me when I want to read a book.

The advantage of the Archos 5 IMT is it's so multi-functional. More so than the Touch and with a dedicated ebook reader all you can do is read books and listen to music. The Barnes & Noble ereader is purported to feature a color e-ink screen which will undoubtedly be copied by Amazon and Sony in short order. Even so, you can't play much in the way of games, watch movies or surf the net with an ebook reader. I think Archos should mention ebook reading as a feature in their ads as many thousands of people use their Touch or iPhone as ereaders and the Archos' much bigger and better res screen blows them out of the water.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 am 
GONZO416 wrote:
KMY wrote:

Where can we download those?

FBReader can be downloaded from http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/FBReaderJ-0.5.23.apk

ThinkFree should have been pre-installed on your device.