Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: UberGizmo review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highlights are posted here: http://archosfans.com/2009/09/22/ubergi ... et-tablet/ the review is at http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/20 ... eview.html

Post subject: Re: UberGizmo review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I can really care less about the Android App Store, which is what the reviewer stated as the main complaint, so all in all a good/positive review in my eyes.

Just wished the reviewer would have shed more light on the video aspect of the unit; more specifically MKV playback.

Good notes about tethering and battery consumption as I was unaware that it was a hog when this feature was being used.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Getting really tempted to buying one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 am 
No Mac Support???????

Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BXbomber wrote:

I've already orderd it ! ^^ cant sleeeeeeeep!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

alsutton wrote:
No Mac Support???????

Ouch.

Yeah, that was a huge shocker. It's kind of odd since it supports Linux (and very few players do), but it doesn't mount whatsoever on the world's second biggest OS. That's crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Numui wrote:
BXbomber wrote:

where did u order it? pre-ordered or waiting for delivery?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In that photo beside the iPhone, the screen quality doesnt look great in comparison. The blacks arent very deep and the colours are a bit dull.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pwgunite wrote:
alsutton wrote:
No Mac Support???????

Ouch.

Yeah, that was a huge shocker. It's kind of odd since it supports Linux (and very few players do), but it doesn't mount whatsoever on the world's second biggest OS. That's crazy.

I would wait and see, if this is really an issue. I have an archos 605 and there are different settings for usb. So I would guess, that maybe tha a5 was in charge mode or something. Archos devices have always worked as simple usb-drives, can't imagine that it would be different this time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bkos wrote:
pwgunite wrote:
alsutton wrote:
No Mac Support???????

Ouch.

I would wait and see, if this is really an issue. I have an archos 605 and there are different settings for usb. So I would guess, that maybe tha a5 was in charge mode or something. Archos devices have always worked as simple usb-drives, can't imagine that it would be different this time.

A demo on the Archos site shows that the device has the option of being a storage device and Android supports this very well (I use my G1 for this function). The USB is also used for host device connection, but I think the device needs to be powered (I doubt the Archos pulls enough voltage for a USB powered drive). Not sure how Android handles host connections, since that is not a normal function for Android (at least on phones).

I wish the "review" was more detailed. it is more like an overview, rather than an actual review. No details at all, so I guess it really is an overview.

Need to know about sound quality and if a controller is recognized (such as keyboard). I am betting it will not be, but that is just my guess due to being familiar with Android. My hope is Archos Android netbook efforts have carried to this device. If they used the Android phone framework for the OS, the device is screwed, because it does not have USB controller function.

In regards to the overview- er sorry, "review", here is a point for concern:

"Despite the 800Mhz processor, the *perceived* performance of the user interface is very close to what you can see on a phone like the HTC Magic"

The HTC Magic- AKA G1 is not a speed demon and you would expect more from a device that is suppoesed to have 3D and 800mhz behind it. Sounds like drivers have not been optimized for the device and they are using stock OS function.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 pm 
rushmore wrote:
The HTC Magic- AKA G1 is not a speed demon and you would expect more from a device that is suppoesed to have 3D and 800mhz behind it. Sounds like drivers have not been optimized for the device and they are using stock OS function.

The Magic isn't the G1, the HTC Dream is G1, the Magic is the one without the keyboard which has more memory and the version of Android has been optimised to make the most of the hardware (unlike the current A5 Android which doesn't make use the hardware OpenGL acceleration).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rushmore wrote:
"Despite the 800Mhz processor, the *perceived* performance of the user interface is very close to what you can see on a phone like the HTC Magic"

You have to consider, the Archos has to work 3x harder than HTC to display 3x more pixels on the screen. Still if you have an interface as smooth as G1 with 3x more pixels on the screen, then you still have a 3x more powerful system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Numui wrote:
BXbomber wrote:

im gonna take a wait and see approach. want to see if they repeat the same mistakes from the orginal 5. not to mention if tjey get android 1.6 and to see if reg android apps will be compatible. so far im reall liking what i see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I will not cancel my 500gb order, but will try it out and probably return to BB and wait for the OS to mature with this type of device and let the app market catch up with it a bit. By then Flash 10.0 should be part of the OS (early 2010).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
rushmore wrote:

You have to consider, the Archos has to work 3x harder than HTC to display 3x more pixels on the screen. Still if you have an interface as smooth as G1 with 3x more pixels on the screen, then you still have a 3x more powerful system.

Note, screen resolution doesn't affect responsiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chengbin wrote:
Charbax wrote:
rushmore wrote:

Note, screen resolution doesn't affect responsiveness.

Rendering 3x more pixels takes 3x more power.

Sure there are other aspects so it's not really 3x more power overall, cause processing is not only the rendering part, but rendering of pixels on a screen is a big part of overall processing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

alsutton wrote:
No Mac Support???????

Ouch.

No one needs mac support. Apple has the ipod for using on the mac. Other users prefer non-restricted devices on non-restricted computers. ;) :p
Use the ipod, when you have a mac and apple will loves you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Rendering 3x more pixels takes 3x more power.

Sure there are other aspects so it's not really 3x more power overall, cause processing is not only the rendering part, but rendering of pixels on a screen is a big part of overall processing.

I said responsiveness, not smoothness.

Smoothness depends on resolution, but resolution does not.

The original 5 is painfully unresponsive, mainly because of shutting the HDD when not in use, but shutting Wi-Fi, opening Opera are not affected, there are countless other examples.

I really hope the new 5 improves.