Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos Products/Marketing Manager R├®mi Durand says so in French in this video: http://archosfans.com/2009/09/17/4gb-mk ... splitting/

I am pretty sure he says larger files than 4GB are supported with no need to split them up first. I don't know how they do it..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos: start shipping the Archos 5 Android to retailers!!!

This is awesome news! I wonder how they got past the 4GB limitation but above all I am super excited we can finally have HD content on the go and then resume playback from any HD television.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Historically the reason why files > 4Gb have had to be split is a limitation of the Windows file-system. Those of us who use Linux have never had that limitation.

I guess all it means is that they do not need to split files on account of the fact that internally the device uses something other than FAT 32.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hot. QVC get on this with easy pay please!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok, I usually rip my movies using Fairuse wizard to my Archos 5 and it does the job great. Can someone tell me what the big deal is about MKV? I ask sincerely because I am considering buying the Archos Android 5 Internet Tablet, and would like to know what the benefit is of it playing MKV.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

MKV is a container that is associated with Hi Def content which means a much better picture than your standard def divx or avi files.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arielgon wrote:
Ok, I usually rip my movies using Fairuse wizard to my Archos 5 and it does the job great. Can someone tell me what the big deal is about MKV? I ask sincerely because I am considering buying the Archos Android 5 Internet Tablet, and would like to know what the benefit is of it playing MKV.

Your Fairuse XviD stuff is fine and perfect for your DVD resolution stuff. Even if you do some HD stuff for yourself.

MKV High Profile is important if you pirate 720p HD movies on the internet using BitTorrents. 98% of those 720p pirated movies are H264 high profile in the MKV container, and 90% of those are 4.37GB and 10% are longer movies or encoded in higher bitrates to fit on a dual-layer disc at 8.74GB per movie (or so).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am guessing I need a Blu-ray to rip HD into MKV format

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I meant to say "I am guessing I need a Blu-ray Drive to rip HD into MKV format

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

arielgon wrote:
I meant to say "I am guessing I need a Blu-ray Drive to rip HD into MKV format

Or any HD camcorder. I always encode from my HD camcorder in DivX HD so mine has worked since the HD plugin was available for the previous generation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
arielgon wrote:

Your Fairuse XviD stuff is fine and perfect for your DVD resolution stuff. Even if you do some HD stuff for yourself.

MKV High Profile is important if you pirate 720p HD movies on the internet using BitTorrents. 98% of those 720p pirated movies are H264 high profile in the MKV container, and 90% of those are 4.37GB and 10% are longer movies or encoded in higher bitrates to fit on a dual-layer disc at 8.74GB per movie (or so).

I don't know Charbax I have seen plenty of 720p HD movies available that are much more than 4.37GB; much more than 10% than whats available.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
I am pretty sure he says larger files than 4GB are supported with no need to split them up first. I don't know how they do it..

First of all, honestly i give a shit on what somebody says in a video, especially then if it's a PR person.Secondly, there are some older nas storage boxes that used a trick to store files larger in size than 4Gbyte on their internal FAT32 filesystem.Internally, they split the files into 4GByte chunks, but presented one file to the outside world.

Nevertheless, that's old stuff, because all other filesystems have support for large files.We know, that the current 5 supports ext3 on external media, so i see no issues to use that for the internal and usb partition as well.Oh i see one - you could not use the 5 then together with windows pcs, unless you install an ext3 driver - which is btw not a big deal.
Better choice would be NTFS, which is quite good supported in recent linux kernels.

Whatever they do - +4GB support is a must have.

regards,

TWELVE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TWELVEPACK wrote:
there are some older nas storage boxes that used a trick to store files larger in size than 4Gbyte on their internal FAT32 filesystem.Internally, they split the files into 4GByte chunks, but presented one file to the outside world.

Well that would be perfectly fine in my opinion. Who cares if Archos uses a trick to split the file up internally, as long as file transfer over USB of the big 4GB+ files is just as fast and as long as those are recognized as one big file by the Archos user interface and media player application and over USB mass storage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not really a good idea to visit Spammed sites like this. They are often loaded with various malware exploits a few of which can even affect Mac users now.

Plus, when they get hits, they figure their spamming is working and we get even more crap messages like this.

The best, safest thing to do with Spam is to ignore or report it.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Its a Linux formatted Hard-drive so it supports bigger file sizes. Otherwise, whats the point of using a Linux hard-drive and making it less compatible with other devices (you used to be able to file share with other usb devices using the mini docks usb connector in the previous gens, and you didn't need to have Windows media Player or EXT2 to view files on your computer.) It may also have something to do with Android but I don't know enough about android to make that claim.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This thread was from September of last year. It was just dredged up by a spammer.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for telling me I need to check the dates more often. :oops: