Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

statsja wrote:
Quote:
["Charbax"]If you want something like the viliv s5, then why don't you go buy one at $1000+.

I've tried it and it's a POS, just like every other MID by Intel.

Did i miss something? Charbax Have you had a conversion? welcome to the real world!

so you admit that archos 9 is a POS, just like every other MID by intel? lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not really a MID, more a Windows 7 tablet. But hey, if Archos releases a MID, it'll obviously be better than any other on the market. Archos Android products will be much more interesting, with much more usable features, better value, better performance, obviously. Archos will probably make 9 inch tablets and 10 or 13 inch laptops based on Android Texas Instruments as well, much more revolutionary, potentially sold in 1000s times larger volumes, if made and sold the right ways.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
It's not really a MID, more a Windows 7 tablet.

LOL. and i could say the same thing about mac computers:

it's not really a computer, it's an OS X workstation :x

Charbax wrote:
But hey, if Archos releases a MID, it'll obviously be better than any other on the market.

but if it's intel and/or microsoft incorporated into the archos device - by your standards, it'l still be a complete failure and POS.... #-o

and here's where it gets confusing from all your double standards:

if it's archos, it MUST BE and IS the best of the best, no questions allowed. if it's intel/microsoft, it's automatically and unequivocally a failure, POS and redundant, no questions allowed. and when the 2 are combined..... it's vin diesel punching himself in the face and out come the excuses once again. :^o

double standards [-X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

:lol: He's just such a tool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For Archos to do these Intel/Microsoft based products it's really just a piece of cake. It's more work in signing contracts with the manufacturers, picking features over emails with them and designing boxes and deciding where to put the logo. By doing that Archos can surf on the wave of the Intel based netbook, selling 50 million units this year. Which is good for Archos revenue numbers and is good to spread more about the Archos brand so more people will check the real in-house Archos products coming up as well. The core Archos product remains the Android devices coming in September, by far more original and interesting than these Archos branded Intel/Microsoft products.

If you want an Intel/Microsoft product, buying one of the Archos branded ones is probably one of the best if not the best choices among Intel/Microsoft based products.

Though if you want the revolution, wait for Archos Android devices, which I expect to be all from Internet Media Tablets, with and without hardware keyboards, to larger Android based tablets and to full sized Android based Laptop form factors. Average price of Android devices will be half of the Intel/Microsoft ones with 2-5 times longer battery life, with more features (much more multimedia centric), with many more hardware features adopted from the features of a modern Smartphone (GPS, Bluetooth, Electronic Compass, Tilt Detector..), in more pocketable and more usable sizes and weights.

I'm quite sure the Intel/Microsoft bunch of Archos branded products are just temporary until ARM and Android takes over this whole market, and in which thus Archos will obviously be one of the leaders as well. If Archos does sales, distribution and marketing well, the Archos 10S minipc, Archos 9 pctablet and the Archos 13 laptop could sell over a million units combined this year which might not sound like much compared to the netbook sales numbers from Acer and Asus. That would mean a doubling or tripling of Archos current yearly revenues. Very useful to finance Archos in-house development of the revolutionary Android based devices.

Don't expect the CEO of Intel France and Microsoft France to be part of the Archos keynote next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are no Archos products on mainstream USA retail shelves. Only a few select retailers around New York. Archos is, for all practical purposes in the USA, a relatively unknown e-tailer. While I hope for the best, I do not expect Archos to sell 50 million tablets, netbooks and MP3 players (combined).

I don't know what Ardhos plans for marketing in the USA but it seems they are doing virtually nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:26 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Circuit city when it was open had them on stock and displayed, and best buy has them but often under the counter. BTW i live in Ohio.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heh, I do not expect Archos to sell 50 million Intel/Microsoft based products. I am saying that the whole netbook market is expected to be 50 million units this year. Thus it makes no sense for Archos not to be a part of it.

Even if Archos "only" sells 1 million units, a 2% market share, that would be totally huge for Archos, it would represent 3-4 times more revenues than Archos did last year on selling only in-house IMT and PMP products.

Though 1 million Intel/Microsoft based products sold this year would be pretty huge for Archos, considering the Archos 10 has sold 30'000 units thus far. I also think that goal could realistically be reached. The Intel/Microsoft based products Archos is showing such as the 10S, 9 and 13 are pretty good, if not really best in their class! So it's at this point only a question of sales channels, sales agreements, marketing not really towards end consumers directly, but marketing to the resellers, convincing them that selling the Archos brand is good for resellers profit margins. And Archos can do that easily if they actually do have better products at better prices, which looks to me as Archos certainly have with the Intel/Microsoft based products that they have shown.

Now consider that we are just talking of the piece of cake part of the Archos business strategy right here! Doing these Intel/Microsoft based products is the easy part! And even though it's the easy part, it could grow Archos revenues significantly even though we are in a financial crisis.

From that increased revenues, Archos can perfect the release of a whole range of Android based products, starting (I guess) at 150 dollars, and up to 400 dollars. For the basic 4" flash memory PMP with Android powered touchscreen interfaces and maybe only WiFi at 150 dollars, to the 5" 500GB HSDPA Android powered super luxurious 400 dollar internet media tablet device, and to the 150-400 dollar Android powered full screen 7-13 inch laptop and tablet devices as I have previously speculated in this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23496

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
For Archos to do these Intel/Microsoft based products it's really just a piece of cake.

here we go with the double standards again [-X

if anyone else was to do this, and bring out the exact same product, you'd slam non-stop whenever someone talked about it. but if it's archos - watch out water, you're gonna get Chuck Norris!!

my point :arrow: really need to not be so prejudiced.

Charbax wrote:
It's more work in signing contracts with the manufacturers, picking features over emails with them and designing boxes and deciding where to put the logo.

you even admit here that it's the same "crap" that everyone else is pushing out. but this takes the cake... i really can't stop being amazed and laughing every time it read it:

Charbax wrote:
If you want an Intel/Microsoft product, buying one of the Archos branded ones is probably one of the best if not the best choices among Intel/Microsoft based products.

let's just forget about EVERYTHING you've said about intel/microsoft and all the other companies that use intel/microsoft, then worship this tablet pc because archos was....
Charbax wrote:
designing boxes and deciding where to put the logo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well said Hadakajime. Charbax is so :roll:blinked it beggars believe. You got to admire his loyalty though. Archos should name the next android after him as a reward for his loyalty and commitment to Archos =D> So if you want your non Archos POS to become great.... Why don't we send them all to Archos to be badged so that Chabax can change his mind yet again........ :lol: and give them the seal of Archos approval...... =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos does the best "MID"s in the form of Texas Instruments based awesome highly embedded and optimized machines, which they rather call IMT than MID, and that remains their core competency and speciality. Archos 9 is a netbook-tablet type of device, not a MID.

MID and UMPC have sold peanuts, 30000 all brands combined since the beginning of UMPCs 3 years ago. Archos sells 50 times more IMT products than all Intel/Microsoft based MID/UMPC companies combined (consider that combines all the sales from all of Samsung, Sony, Asus, Compal, Aigo, Raeon, Viliv and others). Archos sold more netbooks already (with just the Archos 10 that so many critisize on this forum) than all the worldwide MID/UMPC market combined.

Doing an event with Intel/Microsoft in Paris was cause Archos is now the number 1 Intel/Microsoft based PC brand in France.

I never said netbooks were POS, although I always said that the originator of netbooks the OLPC XO is better for educational projects worldwide and although I expect ARM and Android to quickly replace Intel/Microsoft in that market segment (will also be in OLPC XO-2), which basically means that there will be nothing left for Intel/Microsoft.

Archos is partnering with them, to later better be able to stab them in the back. It's a totally normal business practice. A bit like Brutus was a close friend and partner of Julius Caesar before organizing to stab him in the back. By the way, Henri Crohas does look a bit like Julius Caesar, he does look a bit like he could be the next Emperor in the Entertainment, Mobility and Connectivity market. Intel/Microsoft partners with Archos to try and pull them away from staying the leader in ARM and embedded Linux based products, but I am sure the Intel/Microsoft reps know that it's too late and that Archos won't be corrupted.

Posted from my Archos 5 MID, based on Texas Instruments OMAP3430 ARM Cortex A8 and highly optimized embedded Linux software. Worlds by far most popular MID and not a POS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Doing an event with Intel/Microsoft in Paris was cause Archos is now the number 1 Intel/Microsoft based PC brand in France.

Eh? If that's true, it's got to be the only place on Earth where it is. At present, the only Intel/MS product available from Archos is the 10, and its market presence outside of France is as near zero as makes on difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kb wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Eh? If that's true, it's got to be the only place on Earth where it is. At present, the only Intel/MS product available from Archos is the 10, and its market presence outside of France is as near zero as makes on difference.

Wrong. Archos 10 is one of the best sold netbooks at Dixons in the UK among other such stores in the UK. Go to any Dixons, you will see the Archos 10 is the cheapest and best value netbook of their whole line. Quite simply, Archos is able to pull off a cheap price which Dixons and other such stores like because they can sell it cheaper and still make a good profit margin on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charbax wrote:
Archos is partnering with them, to later better be able to stab them in the back.

How visionary I am, it is amazing!! Archos just announced Archos 10 Ubuntu, comes with no restrictions, 500GB hard drive, 2GB ram, 6-cell battery, costs only 46Ôé¼ more than the Windows XP 160GB, 1GB RAM version. http://archosfans.com/2009/06/15/archos ... -released/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Now this is more interesting than recent Archos announcements...

I suspect that a 500Gb netbook will _have to_ be shipped with some variant of Linux, because Microsoft are refusing to allow Windows to be licenced for ATOM-based machines with capacities this high. I think they are worried that it will hurt the deal they have with Intel, by detracting from sales of desktop-spec CPUs and parts.

BUT...

you have to wonder who the target customer is. Much as I admire Linux, even I have to concede that Linux on netbooks has not been a huge success (in the West, anyway). The cynic in me is forced to wonder whether the target market is, in fact, people who will install their own bootleg versions of Windows, in defiance of Microsoft's licencing policy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup it ships with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed. But I am sure geeks can follow an online tutorial to dual-boot with a trorrented Windows XP copy, or even triple-boot with Hackintosh installed as well. Basically, the target market is people who don't want a restrictive netbook. I think that the geek market and the huge netbook market overlap pretty widely. I think that there are millions of geeks who know how to install torrented WinXP or Hackintosh on their laptop or who actually prefer Ubuntu only on their netbooks. And I also think that there is a pretty large mass market who won't see the difference. You can even skin Ubuntu to make it look like Windows XP kind of and a large part of consumers will never notice the difference. You simply pre-ship with Firefox (later Chrome) and Abiword or Open Office pre-installed. You can even skin their program icons to look kind of like IE and Word, Excell and Powerpoint Office icons so people won't notice any difference. And skinning similarly is not illegal, just use similar colors and similar icons.

Early Acer Aspire One and Eee with Linux were returned cause they had worse Linux implementations than a basic Ubuntu would look like. Especially if you are courageous enough to provide a default skin to Ubuntu that makes it look similar to Windows XP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
kb wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Wrong. Archos 10 is one of the best sold netbooks at Dixons in the UK among other such stores in the UK. Go to any Dixons, you will see the Archos 10 is the cheapest and best value netbook of their whole line. Quite simply, Archos is able to pull off a cheap price which Dixons and other such stores like because they can sell it cheaper and still make a good profit margin on it.

Wrong I live in the UK Dixons only exist online or at the airports... They dont sell Archos 10 Nor does any Currys digital near me or Comet or Pcworld... and these are major retailers who sell Archos 5 & 7. I have also checked online....No Archos 10 listed. So tell me what Dixons you saw this please?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dixons Heathrow and Luton both feature Archos 10 as their by far best value netbook, £50 cheaper than any other netbook displayed and the sellers recommend the Archos to any consumer asking, I saw some guys trying it and seriously considering it. It's at many other stores in the UK and selling well, look at the Archos CEO keynote. This will only accelerate with the Archos 10S design the Archos 10 Ubuntu which is by far the best netbook value.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Dixons Heathrow and Luton both feature Archos 10 as their by far best value netbook, £50 cheaper than any other netbook displayed and the sellers recommend the Archos to any consumer asking, I saw some guys trying it and seriously considering it. It's at many other stores in the UK and selling well, look at the Archos CEO keynote. This will only accelerate with the Archos 10S design the Archos 10 Ubuntu which is by far the best netbook value.

ok your right about Dixons selling it( I can admit when im wrong) but they only exist at the Airport as I stated before. Its cheap cause its partly duty free.... You can get it online from many stores but it can cost as much as £376 or as little as £301 Its still not stocked by major retailers like Currys. I am aware that it is available at some stores like Micro Anvika who have 13 stores 10 of which are based in London they sell it for £329. So unless you are going to Travel it very hard to get at £243 (the price at Dixons duty free)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Archos is partnering with them, to later better be able to stab them in the back.

How visionary I am, it is amazing!! Archos just announced Archos 10 Ubuntu, comes with no restrictions, 500GB hard drive, 2GB ram, 6-cell battery, costs only 46Ôé¼ more than the Windows XP 160GB, 1GB RAM version. http://archosfans.com/2009/06/15/archos ... -released/

No - with due respect to this site - I think you are an insider and an employee/affiliate more than a 'visionary'

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next