Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There isn't one - just a 9 inch Windows piece of crap. At least it's 7 and not Vista!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The fully-tactile MiniPC

What better innovation for a MiniPC than to get rid of keyboards?

ARCHOS once again is leading the way in innovation, with the introduction of the MiniPC of the future, the ARCHOS 9PCtablet. The ARCHOS design team has coupled groundbreaking design with the most advanced technologies, by leveraging their expertise from the design of the Internet Media Tablets. The new PC combines the performance of a high end PC with breathtaking aesthetics, excellent ergonomics and a tactile interface that ARCHOS has built their reputation on. Pure lines, extreme thinness (0.63''), less than 800g and a stunning black finish, the ARCHOS 9 pushes the boundaries of elegance and simplicity on a MiniPC, fulfilling all expectations of the most mobile users.
Intuitive and easy to use, the ARCHOS 9 delivers an unrivalled user experience, and is set to replace the traditional computer. Without a physical keyboard, it provides a virtual keyboard, very easy to use on the the resistive touchscreen, and has an optical trackpoint to let you surf the web, communicate, work and entertain anywhere.

The ARCHOS 9 incorporates the new Intel┬« ATOMÔäó Z515 processor, an 80 GB1 hard disk, Bluetooth to tether wireless accessories, and 2 antennas to receive DVBT TV with diversity reception.

And what's more, the ARCHOS 9 is running Microsoft® Windows 7, the latest version of the most commonly used operating system in the world.

The ARCHOS 9 provides all the power and comfort needed for daily usage.
It combines an impressive performance and a rich multimedia experience to deliver the most advanced PC in the world. Be ready to discover it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Interesting move from them. I get the selection of Windows in light of the announcement of 2 new laptops, continuing their expansion in to this space. For me as a new person to Archos I have to say it's not what I'm personally after. If I wanted a laptop then that's what I'd buy and I think running a full version of Windows on something this small will be a woeful and fiddly experience. In something of this size you really need a simple propriatary operating system (the same reason why my BlackBerry is so intuative and yet Windows Mobile with bigger screen real estate than my BlackBerry is so dreadful).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

SuperSi wrote:
Interesting move from them. I get the selection of Windows in light of the announcement of 2 new laptops, continuing their expansion in to this space. For me as a new person to Archos I have to say it's not what I'm personally after. If I wanted a laptop then that's what I'd buy and I think running a full version of Windows on something this small will be a woeful and fiddly experience. In something of this size you really need a simple propriatary operating system (the same reason why my BlackBerry is so intuative and yet Windows Mobile with bigger screen real estate than my BlackBerry is so dreadful).

I agree. Also - I am not sure how practical will be typing an email on this 9 incher with virtual keyboard. i would definitely not buy it unless I can get my hands on a real unit...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very disappointed :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 602342260/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

philthy_ritch wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619602342260/

What's on it ? Sorry can't get to most sites from work here... is it Android ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

k000 wrote:
SuperSi wrote:

I agree. Also - I am not sure how practical will be typing an email on this 9 incher with virtual keyboard. i would definitely not buy it unless I can get my hands on a real unit...

No keyboard on a machine that size. Archos take note Samsung tried the virtual keyboard on there 7 inch umpc and had to backtrack and upgarde the model with a split keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

philthy_ritch wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157619602342260/

On the second to last pic in this series, there is a slide being presented that shows the "vision" for the current series. Anyone have any more info on this? There is an Archos 4 among some other products that don't look familiar. Also, there is a subscript next to all the product names that I can't read...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This does seem a proper kick in the nuts for Android. I would have assumed this is just the type of area that Google are keen to get in to, and yet here we have Windows 7 (which is the best of the Windows bunch, but still). I think the hardcore fan (from my two weeks of Archos research) was expecting Android and the realm of applications it could offer to a PMP of the Archos standard - while I'm no Archos expert yet, the technie in me was hoping for Android too.

I think the two positives we take from this are that Archos has respected existing 5 and 7 owners by not devaluing their investment by bringing out a replacement for this line up so soon (al la Apple and their new devices every 5 minutes), and secondly that Archos are taking the step to Android seriously and are waiting to do it properly; something those who have had Archos reliability issues in the past should be pleased about.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm sure, but I believe that the 15th of september another device is presented, the Android version of the MediaPlayer Series, with phone? Not sure though.

I'm still happy with my 605.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A keyboardless laptop running Windows? Yuck! Not for me, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yup...

no keyboard :(

oqo 2+ it's better

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos are just not showing the Android device/devices just yet: http://archosfans.com/2009/06/11/archos ... september/

French presidents of Intel and Microsoft were invited by Archos on stage today, the French Government has Intel staff on board to implement the Archos 9 classmate device in schools, so Archos couldn't show Android yet at this event. And Archos also wants to keep the design and more details of the Android device secret for a bit longer, while all competitors are also working on different Android implementations. Obviously Archos implementation of Android will be the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

They must have realized that doing the Android launch so cose to A5. Would probably kill them. Though it is also sad to not see Android on the A5.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BAHAHAHHA

very dissapointing. but if there is still hope for an android imt then thats good.

HOWEVER - i can't get a ringing out of my ears that sounds something like..........................

Charbax wrote:
Appart that using Intel atom is useless, if Archos wanted they could brand a chinese version.

Charbax wrote:
It's crap just as any other Intel MID

Charbax wrote:
It's huge, weights half a kilo

Charbax wrote:
Intel based MIDs have never been winners and never will be.

Charbax wrote:
Anyways, what's the use debating with people like you. You don't want to understand that all Intel Atom based netbooks are the same, all basically work the same way, have the same components and all basically are manufactured in the same area in China around Shenzhen. What's the point. If you want to remain clueless, you can stay that way.

Charbax wrote:
The Intel Atom processor is not powerful enough for any type of video playback, Intel had to use some type of DSP like technology to try to accelerate some of that.

Charbax wrote:
You and Missionsparta were sure Archos was going to be using the Atom processor, they are not, they are the first in the whole world to use the new ARM based superscalar processor that exists for one main purpose, to compete with Intel's and Microsoft's X86 world domination and all the crappy X86 based products.

there might be more but i'm hungry... cyas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said in one of my quotes, releasing some Intel/Microsoft based products is easy, compared to the Archos Android product/products that will come out soon. Archos still focuses most of its in-house product R&D, development, industrial design and know-how in the Android generation of products.

When you have the French president of Intel and French president of Microsoft invited on stage, you can't as well show the line of Archos products with Android that are to basically going to kill off the relevance of Intel and Microsoft.

Just cause Archos prepares the best ever embedded Linux based awesome products, that does not prevent Archos from also doing a few tens of millions of Euros in extra revenues this year by simply sticking their logo on a few Intel and Microsoft based products. The way Archos does netbooks and this 9" tablet Windows 7 PC, is obviously to dominate that segment of the market as well.

There will be 50 million plus Intel and Microsoft based netbooks sold this year, cause ARM netbooks running Android are not yet ready, why not for Archos for a minimum of R&D work, mostly some distribution, branding, marketing work, why not release a well thought through few netbook models and design in partnership with the same Chinese manufacturers the best ever Windows tablet PC, thus potentially Archos can do another few tens of millions perhaps even hundreds of millions of extra revenue this year.

Which will help Archos release even better Android products in September as soon as they are ready to be released.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
["Charbax"]If you want something like the viliv s5, then why don't you go buy one at $1000+.

I've tried it and it's a POS, just like every other MID by Intel.

Did i miss something? Charbax Have you had a conversion? welcome to the real world!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel MIDs have sold 30 thousand units all combined. Archos can easilly do one as a 8.9" tablet that is much better than any UMPC/MID by Samsung, Compal or Viliv and sell twice as many.

Same thing with the netbooks and CULV laptops, Archos comes, does their thing easilly using just a minimal of their R&D and is much better than all the 100 plus billion dollar companies working in that category. If Archos can sell as many as Acer, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, it's to be seen, that is only a question of sales, profit margins performance for resellers and marketing channels at this point.

That is until the Archos Android devices are ready, I expect Android Internet Media Tablet pocket devices, Android laptops and large screen Android tablet in just 3 months, and will come to sell in the hundreds of millions of devices as they are supposed to. Obviously, Archos can play a big role if they do their things correctly in using Android to soon kill off Intel, Microsoft and Apple.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Obviously Archos has no problems working with both Intel and Mircrosoft and is relying on them to provide an inflow of revenue to fund R&D for forthcoming products so I don't think Archos really wants to kill them off.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next