Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:47 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

"Charbax, I know it's April 1st, but that's stretching the bounds of credibility just a little too much. I think you need to get yourself a new laptop.

Gave me a bit of a laugh though."

lol, very nice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

xen wrote:
Charbax wrote:
In fact, the Archos 5 is nearly usable as a full Laptop replacement as it is.

Charbax, I know it's April 1st, but that's stretching the bounds of credibility just a little too much. I think you need to get yourself a new laptop.

Gave me a bit of a laugh though.

that gave me a good laugh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Gold color would differentiate Archos from competitors and really show the super high value of Archos products compared to plastic competitors.

Basically like comparing a plastic watch with a gold all metallic handmade watch.

Sure Gold color thing might not make so much sence, the Archos 5G black plastic color is actually my favorite, and perhaps they don't need to diversify more than something like this:

Archos Android 5 500GB OLED: 500Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" OLED
Archos Android 5 500GB: 400Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD
Archos Android 5 120GB: 300Ôé¼ - 120GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thinness
Archos Android 4 120GB: 250Ôé¼ - 120GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD
Archos Android 4 16GB: 150Ôé¼ - 16GB flash+SDHC - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD

I think they should all come with following Android friendly hardware features:

- Built-in GPS
- Electronic compass
- Bluetooth
- Tilt detector and accelerometer
- Capacitative touchscreen
- Full standby for VOIP and IM
- Built-in 720p video camera
- OpenGL 3D graphics accelerator
- 720p H264 high profile playback
- 720p streaming on Youtube HD
- Trick to support 4GB+ mkvs
- Mpeg2 HD DVB support

If they can provide following new add-ons they will win in more markets even:

- E-Ink Dock with stylus input
- DVB-SH Dock
- USB DVB-T Tuner drivers
- Bluetooth microphone
- Bluetooth headset
- Bluetooth foldable keyboard
- Bluetooth remote
- Bluetooth mouse
- Bluetooth wrist-watch
- Bluetooth headphones
- Gamepad Dock and emulators

Why would anyone pay such ridiculous prices for a media player?? The only way to increase mass appeal of Archos products is to offer products at reasonable prices, not offer Mercedes Benz-type players. Remember KISS: KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Kind of like an expensive "locked down" laptop. Imagine feeling like you need to purchase a new Mercedes-Benz each year. Netbooks may be (for the most part) built cheaply and underpowered but they're probably good for several years and updates and fixes will help them along. With these Mercedes-Benz when fixes stop (after about a year) that's as good as the Mercedes is going to be and that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cghori wrote:
Why would anyone pay such ridiculous prices for a media player?

My suggested prices are all very good value for what you get actually.

"Archos Android 4 16GB: 150Ôé¼ - 16GB flash+SDHC - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD"

I don't see how 150Ôé¼ for that could be considered expensive by anyone. That'd be for a 4.3" Android and HSDPA touchscreen device with 16GB flash and SDHC card expansion, for 150Ôé¼ with no contract required, thus even cheaper with contracts.

If you would want 500GB and an OLED screen, then you have to pay for it. Expect +100Ôé¼ for the OLED screen and +100Ôé¼ for the 500GB (vs. the approx 250GB/320GB 2.5" or 120GB/160GB 1.8" hard drive standards).

In fact, most sales for Archos is always for their most expensive high end models. People come to Archos cause of the super huge storage, super awesome large high resolution touchscreens, people consider Archos to definitely be the Ferrari of gadgets, it's 100 times better value than the Corvette, Mustang or whatever other GM made car.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Depends upon the Corvette or Mustang. ;)

It would be nice if these Ferraris had replacable cylinders rather than having to buy a whole new Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can get your cylinders replaced, but it's mostly recommended that you get them replaced at your local Ferrari repair shop for a reasonable cylinder replacement fee rather then Ferrari designing it in a way so that any moms and paps is able to change them by themselves and within the standard user warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The problem is that Ferrari stops replacing or fixing the cylinders very soon after the warranty ends even if the customer wants to pay and has perfectly usuable cylinders in hand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's not true. You can still replace cylinders as much as you want on the 3rd or 2nd Generation Ferraris. I don't know if the reasonable price for cylinder replacement is 50Ôé¼ plus shipping or something like that, it might be. Most people can use their device at normal pace for more than 2 years before even needing to replace the cylinders. And when you make it so consumers can replace it themselves, you notice that very few people in the 3-5% of consumers even care to use that option. So why build a Ferrari only to satisfy those 3-5% of customers that absolutely want home replacement of cylinders. And why cut off 20-30% of battery life on all devices (at same size and weight), why add 10-20% of cost on all devices (since user-replacable cylinder design requires much more complicated design features to remain within acceptable warranty). Any complication of the design decreases 5-10% the product yield in terms of number of broken products that need replacement, thus also increasing the price of the device.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The problem is that Ferrari refuses to replace the cylinders and designs the engine (meaning they had to go to the trouble and expense which gets passed along to every Ferrari purchaser) so that it is impossible for the owner to even try to replace the cylinders -- even if the procedure is time consuming and difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Looks like the OQO won't be coming out... which begs the question who will use the 4.8" OLED. It looks like Samsung will have to sell it to the next highest bidder which Archos could very well be next on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Samsung is releasing an OLED screen based Android device, the Samsung I7500 though it is only a 3.2" OLED 480x320 screen.

So the 3.2", 3.7" OLED screens are now being mass produced by Samsung. The question is, does Samsung or any other OLED screen maker make 4.8" OLED screens for cheap already?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The OLED on the Omnia HD looks stunning, too bad it's a phone. I wish Archos would put that in their PMP.

Charbax: CMEL makes the 7.6 inch OLED in the kodak digital photo frames. Also they could be the rumored manufacturers of the OLED in the new iPhones if it actually becomes reality.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Omnia HD has a tiny 3.7" screen. If the next iphone has OLED, it probably won't be larger than that either. We need 4.8" OLED screens.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

TheUnknownCylon wrote:
@Charbax

Why not buy a laptop, priced 1500 euro's? I'm sure it will meet all your desires. And don't forget a fully professional video camera. You can take pictures with it as well.

Don't be idiot. I want an Archos to play video's and music. Internet would be nice, but I should be able to use it on campus. (Which I can't because our campus wireless network is a little bit better protected then a default one).

All prices are lowered, so why not buy a 300/350 euro's player, with same HDD sizes (I don't need more than 160Gb) which can do a little bit more then my 605 Wifi, instead of some stupid 'cool' functions. I've already a cool notebook, dude. Relax... buy a bubble bath. You need that more than all your crazy feature's.

Your english sounds great

Charbax wrote:
@TheUnknownCylon

Perhaps you need to get out of your bubble bath and learn to speak English in your campus.

Why should I buy a laptop at 1500Ôé¼ when I could have all the features and much more in a pocketable Archos Android 5 160GB: 300Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thinness, that is, according to my calculations and expectations.

Charbax get some sense. we all know what your (unbelivable/unattainable/unfulfillable/unjust) expectations are like... perhaps they should add an ultra slimline printer in the back of it so you can print out photos at super high professional HD quality, that you took with your super high professional built in HD video camera with 10x optical zoom, using special photo paper that's kept in a built in compartment, and if you don't like the photo, you can use the built in paper shredder. and all that should be added at no more than an extra 50 euros 10grams on the unit and 3mm in size! but perhaps i'm talking like you now (with the aid of mushrooms or something! we all saw your tv snap on review video. i don't think you're abnormally happy because of the archos in that vid.. :shock: )

charbax wrote:
In fact, the Archos 5 is nearly usable as a full Laptop replacement as it is. You just plug it to a HDTV, connect a USB mouse and a keyboard, and you are nearly all set. Surely, with third party applications support and a few more optimizations, the Archos Android line should be even closer to achieve full PC/Laptop replacement. And in fact, this year, ARM Cortex based laptops will be released and will replace PC/Laptops running hardware and software by Intel/Microsoft.

uh huh... im gonna go around town dragging a mouse.. (feasible but inconvenient), keyboard... (highly unlikely and a nuisance), and a ........... HDTV (what are you on??).

can you just look at what you said:

Quote:
ARM Cortex based laptops

not IMT's?? no. laptops. l a p t o p s. even you said it. not IMT's. and there's a reason for this. a laptop has been designed to be a mobile workstation. an IMT has not. try editing photos/videos on your 5 inch screen, compared to 15-19inch laptop screen. BIG difference. oh and get this - they are now making laptops with... ***BUILT-IN MICE AND KEYBOARDS*** !!!! wow!

it's not feasible to try and push IMT's as a REPLACEMENT for laptops/work stations, which is what you are trying to do. have you ever had to use a professional workstation?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hadakajime wrote:
perhaps they should add an ultra slimline printer in the back of it so you can print out photos at super high professional HD quality, that you took with your super high professional built in HD video camera with 10x optical zoom, using special photo paper that's kept in a built in compartment, and if you don't like the photo, you can use the built in paper shredder. and all that should be added at no more than an extra 50 euros 10grams on the unit and 3mm in size!

This can be done, I filmed the technology as a world exclusive and it is made by Print Dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B93qx7CXxw

It is a printer that can soon be built into an Archos type of device on the side of it, you swipe it around 3 times on any piece of paper or on basically anything that can be printed on and it prints full color printouts in real-time based on optical detector technologies and on wide printer heads. That is totally potentially the Polaroid for the 21st century, if it does turn out to work well in full color and with the large printer heads, which I am sure it will.

I do think Archos should embed pico projectors and swipe color printers in their devices, but probably not as a priority. Though it could happen faster if Archos does get to sell to the mass markets as they are supposed to.

If you stay a niche product only targeted at a subset of the geek audiences, then you cannot diversify your product outputs quickly into more new innovative markets. So if Archos can reach a few million users fast with the Android product, then sure I think everything is possible. And we could see Archos embed a pico projector, a color printer and especially a 3Qi 3-mode color, e-reader and trasnflective LCD screen which probably would be better than using OLED.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hadakajime wrote:
uh huh... im gonna go around town dragging a mouse.. (feasible but inconvenient), keyboard... (highly unlikely and a nuisance), and a ........... HDTV (what are you on??).

I use my laptop on my HDTV. Why couldn't I replace it with an Archos Android once if one can imagine that it could run a full Google Chrome browser, some other basic Android applications to cover my needs in real-time web notifications, even I expect advanced and full HD video editing and encoding to work great on the Android devices, solution is going to be this:

- Advanced Cloud based applications

Basically the video editing, photo editing, video encoding, all those applications will just work through smooth and advanced Android application interfaces that upload all the source files to the Internet and processes them using huge processing power on the cloud and streams back the workflows to you.

Hadakajime wrote:
Quote:
ARM Cortex based laptops

not IMT's?? no. laptops. l a p t o p s. even you said it. not IMT's. and there's a reason for this. a laptop has been designed to be a mobile workstation. an IMT has not. try editing photos/videos on your 5 inch screen, compared to 15-19inch laptop screen. BIG difference. oh and get this - they are now making laptops with... ***BUILT-IN MICE AND KEYBOARDS*** !!!! wow!

It's a fact that laptops are melting into the smartphone category and vice versa. The laptop officially sells more than desktops. The laptops are officially used more at home and at work than desktops. The laptops are officially used more on a table at fixed locations than on the lap and on-the-move. The laptop is basically a desktop that can run on batteries, cheaper, more compact and more easily movable. The smart pocketable multimedia device is the most compact and easily movable, cheapest, lowest power yet most efficient desktop replacement.

I use a USB mouse and USB keyboard on my laptop all the time. There simply isn't a better embedded alternative to those input mechanisms. I want a laid back computing environment when I am in productivity mode, thus I output from my laptop to my 42" HDTV and I use my USB mouse and USB keyboard for my inputs.

Hadakajime wrote:
it's not feasible to try and push IMT's as a REPLACEMENT for laptops/work stations, which is what you are trying to do. have you ever had to use a professional workstation?

It is not only feasible, it is happening right now. ARM embedded platforms are just about to destroy Intel. Just sit and watch.

Professionals will absolutely not only demand embedded solutions for all their professional work, they will require it to achieve any of the new types of immensely and basically infinitely more powerful cloud assisted computing tasks. Embedded workstations will not only be faster, basically instant-on, instant application interfaces, much more secure and much more user friendly (especially professionnals need user friendly interfaces). Cloud assisted embedded platforms provide access to use an unlimited amount of computing servers to grid process any computing intensive task for you, especially good for video professionals, photo professionals, cloud assisted computing will even virtualize x86 desktops faster on an ARM thin client than on any other much more power intensive and bloated device.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

when do they/you say all this will be available and usable - so much so that it fulfills your expectations and is a truly viable alternative to replace the conventional workstation/laptop?

:?: :?: i can't believe you even want a scanner and printer on your media player... (but you forgot the paper shredder :p ) to me, that's just unnecessary space, weight and power consumption. this thing runs on batteries :!:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A built-in color printer would be very useful. Check my video, Print Dreams is working on it. Especially if Archos integrates the HD video camera and good photo camera with flash, then being able to print pictures, emails or whatever page out on any piece of paper by swiping the side of your Archos on the printable item would be really fun and could be very useful.

Perhaps printing should just be an add-on, and having a "Print" feature from the Android based web browser and other text reader software in Android would be very useful, either using standard printer drivers on USB or more likely supporting local network based printing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Gold color would differentiate Archos from competitors and really show the super high value of Archos products compared to plastic competitors.

Basically like comparing a plastic watch with a gold all metallic handmade watch.

Ummmm, except it would still be plastic painted gold... And gold paint on plastic looks really, really tacky (and has a tendency to flake off).

Black is fine. Add a white option if you want. Even better, black brushed aluminium...