Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted the video here: http://archosfans.com/2009/03/27/archos ... eneration/

I compare the Archos 5 super LCD screen with the future OLED 4.8" 800x480 screen that is on a pre-release prototype of the $1499 Oqo Model 2+ which I saw at CeBIT where I was filming more than 34 video interviews that I posted in HD quality at http://techvideoblog.com/cebit/?year=2009

I think that even if the OLED screen costs $100 extra to have, I think it could be wise for Archos to diversify once more and provide a Gold Model of the next Archos with Android generation.

For example, perhaps that the 500Ôé¼ model can have an OLED screen, 500GB, HSDPA and even could come in a golden color casing.

Ideas for prices and options for the Archos Android generation series:

Archos 5 Gold 500GB: 500Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" OLED
Archos 5 Gold 160GB: 400Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" OLED - 1cm thickness
Archos 5 Platinum 500GB: 400Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD (same Platinum-like color as Archos 5)
Archos 5 Platinum 160GB: 300Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thickness
Archos 4 Gold 160GB: 300Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.3" OLED
Archos 4 Silver 160GB: 200Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD (same Silver-like color as 605 WiFi, same form factor size as Gmini400)
Archos 4 Silver 16GB: 150Ôé¼ - 16GB flash +SDHC - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD (lighter and thinner than the hard drive model)

The Mp3 players by Archos should all come with small 1.5" OLED screens and their casings should all be plastic white, black, red, blue whatever, just not Gold, Platinum or Silver colors. Cause the Mp3 player series are cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Why would I want a golden media player? I'm not in a rap video. I'd prefer the 5 to entirely be the same rubbery matte black of the back of the 120/250 case.

Also, that paint, as delivered, is much darker than platinum. Maybe once it wears off the underlying metal is closer to platinum colored.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

strikeback03 wrote:
Why would I want a golden media player? I'm not in a rap video.

ROTFL!!!!!

That's true. There is no point of a gold player. You probably get mugged if you use one in the public.

Black or sliver or white will look much better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gold color would differentiate Archos from competitors and really show the super high value of Archos products compared to plastic competitors.

Basically like comparing a plastic watch with a gold all metallic handmade watch.

Sure Gold color thing might not make so much sence, the Archos 5G black plastic color is actually my favorite, and perhaps they don't need to diversify more than something like this:

Archos Android 5 500GB OLED: 500Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" OLED
Archos Android 5 500GB: 400Ôé¼ - 500GB - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD
Archos Android 5 120GB: 300Ôé¼ - 120GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thinness
Archos Android 4 120GB: 250Ôé¼ - 120GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD
Archos Android 4 16GB: 150Ôé¼ - 16GB flash+SDHC - HSDPA - 4.3" LCD

I think they should all come with following Android friendly hardware features:

- Built-in GPS
- Electronic compass
- Bluetooth
- Tilt detector and accelerometer
- Capacitative touchscreen
- Full standby for VOIP and IM
- Built-in 720p video camera
- OpenGL 3D graphics accelerator
- 720p H264 high profile playback
- 720p streaming on Youtube HD
- Trick to support 4GB+ mkvs
- Mpeg2 HD DVB support

If they can provide following new add-ons they will win in more markets even:

- E-Ink Dock with stylus input
- DVB-SH Dock
- USB DVB-T Tuner drivers
- Bluetooth microphone
- Bluetooth headset
- Bluetooth foldable keyboard
- Bluetooth remote
- Bluetooth mouse
- Bluetooth wrist-watch
- Bluetooth headphones
- Gamepad Dock and emulators

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'd like to see FM built in as well. At some point there's too many snap-ons and the Archos just becomes a tangled mess of cables and other devices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Chengbin wrote:
strikeback03 wrote:
Why would I want a golden media player? I'm not in a rap video.

ROTFL!!!!!

That's true. There is no point of a gold player. You probably get mugged if you use one in the public.

Black or sliver or white will look much better.

White is so "evil".... I don┬┤t want to have an White IMT...

Vistagamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:

I think they should all come with following Android friendly hardware features:

- Built-in 720p video camera
- 720p H264 high profile playback

Are you crazy? 720p video camera? You know how much costs that will add for a feature that almost no one will use?

720p H264 high profile playback? Archos can't even do 480p in high profile. 720p H.264 high profile is at least 5x more demanding than SD H.264 main profile. I'll be happy if they supported SD H.264 high profile.

Oh BTW, the OLED screen doesn't look like it is much better than the 5's screen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:59 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

As long as they do not keep this glossy chrome that makes finger prints beyond hell i will be happy. Personally my favorite case was the 604 wifi's. It was tasteful and durable, and the look of it was just beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

720p video camera doesn't add much cost. Texas Instruments already has great 720p camcorder chips, those can probably be used in any case if Archos decides to put a camera in the next generation. Since the 605 WiFi, Archos has stopped having removable batteries, so this should make it more or less easy for Archos to add a mobile-phone type camera optics behind there.

Here's a quote:

Quote:
The OMAP3440 applications processor brings full HD camcorder functionality to mobile devices, giving users the ability to record high-definition (HD) video (...) The OMAP3440 leverages TIÔÇÖs high performance IVAÔäó 2+ multimedia accelerator to support 720p HD video record and playback, unleashing user creativity behind the lens.

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/w ... ntId=36505

The OMAP3440 is exactly the processor which Archos and Texas Instruments have announced will be the one to be used in the next Archos Android generation.

This could turn the next Archos into a Flip-camcorder killer as well. And I would say, in fact, a killer of most other AVCHD and other camcorders on the market, even though of-course, Archos wouldn't be able to use very advanced camera optics to make it fit, thus whatever is the latest best mobile-phone type affordable and compact camera optics.

I'm pretty much a profetional of 720p video camcorder recording, I actually think that even the cheapest optics can achieve a pretty good result, and that the most important factor is to support a good microphone mini-jack input thus to have good sound recording quality. None of those Flip-camcorder type products have a microphone input, Archos could potentially not only have mini-jack input (even though it might only be on a Dock), Archos might also support Bluetooth microphones, those can actually be pretty awesome as wireless microphones. One nice design detail, in case Archos does make it a 720p camcorder, would be to have a small shotgun/other microphone slider on the top side, this way to make it even more probable that relatively very enthusiastic 720p video makers like me would actually use the Archos Android as their main 720p camcorder. The best feature would be, to actually upload the 720p videos directly over WiFi or HSDPA from the device to an ftp or to Youtube HD without the need of a computer. That is actually the single most important feature that I am waiting for in the 720p consumer priced camcorder market. I don't know how much the mobile-phone type camcorder optics module costs to integrate, but if it's just a $20 extra cost, then I think it would be totally worth it for Archos to turn their main device into a Flip-HD/Sanyo-HD/Samsung-HD/Sony/Panasonic/Canon/Aiptek/DXG/JVC killer as well. Video bitrate recordings at 720p can hopefully be set to be anywhere between 4mbit/s and 9mbit/s. With good encoding complexity, 4mbit/s should be enough and would be faster to upload to FTPs, Cloud computing APIs or Youtube HD type of services using the built-in WiFi or HSDPA connection.

720p H264 playback support should be whatever format that popular 720p HD mkv files are encoded at. I don't know if that most often is high profile or what it is. I think Texas Instruments are talking about supporting H264 720p on their chips, so Archos should just find a way to have that supported if it is available for the planned OMAP3440 processor for example. And the trick that Archos should use to support 4GB+ files could perhaps for example be something like this: - Some type of software on the Archos would detect when the user tries to copy and paste a file that is 4GB+ and it should then not make that error message on Windows/Mac/Linux, it should instead just copy and perhaps eventually split the file up to 4GB chunks but when browsing files on the Archos it would show up as one single file, and perhaps even when browsing the hard drive from Windows/Mac/Linux as well also display the chunks as one file somehow. Or else, at least, provide a Windows/Mac/linux little piece of synchronizing software which should split and join 4GB+ files in real-time. Archos is already used to supporting split chunks of big video files such as the recorded Mpeg4 files are split by Archos in 2GB chunks, Archos plays split 1GB .vob files as one same title, and so on.

I think that the OLED screen is pretty cool, but of course it depends how much more expensive it is to have a good yield and warranty on that compared to the well tested LCD screens. So I would say, it would be good if Archos provided both OLED and LCD with the price difference, thus let high-end consumers choose the high-end screen if they prefer.

I do think also that Archos should use the Archos 5G by SFR type of matte screen instead of the Archos 5 type of glossy screen.

An important update, I think, should also be to have a more powerful Battery Dock system so that you can actually extend the battery life by as many battery docks as you want, not needing any power left in the Internal battery for it to work optimally. Basically the next generation Battery Dock should be able to charge the device and power it at the same time. This way, if the battery life when video recording in 720p is only 1 hour, the users should be able to extend that using as many Battery Docks as they want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@Charbax

Why not buy a laptop, priced 1500 euro's? I'm sure it will meet all your desires. And don't forget a fully professional video camera. You can take pictures with it as well.

Don't be idiot. I want an Archos to play video's and music. Internet would be nice, but I should be able to use it on campus. (Which I can't because our campus wireless network is a little bit better protected then a default one).

All prices are lowered, so why not buy a 300/350 euro's player, with same HDD sizes (I don't need more than 160Gb) which can do a little bit more then my 605 Wifi, instead of some stupid 'cool' functions. I've already a cool notebook, dude. Relax... buy a bubble bath. You need that more than all your crazy feature's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

@TheUnknownCylon

Perhaps you need to get out of your bubble bath and learn to speak English in your campus.

Why should I buy a laptop at 1500Ôé¼ when I could have all the features and much more in a pocketable Archos Android 5 160GB: 300Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thinness, that is, according to my calculations and expectations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Yeah... But I'm not native English, and I'm not too old. So be happy and cry somewhere else if you don't get my point.

SO bad that a stupid dude wants too much for a media player device. You're missing the point. And you don't like my opinion. Now you're mad at me?
I'm so sorry. Keep comparing an Media Player devices and Telephones. That makes sense!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

To put it simple, nobody and i mean nobody, aside from charbax will buy something for over say 800 that does not function in EVERY SINGLE WAY perfectly. I don't see anyone buying something from a company so fond of not releasing things it is suppose to come with till months after original release. You wouldn't buy a computer that kinda worked ok for 800, you would wait till it did like advertised. The fact is Archos is in no position to ask for much more then they currently do until they can really deliver. Would i buy a great player with a few flaws for say 400, sure. But i know, unless you a millionaire or charbax, nobody will pay 800+ for anything that even might remotely not work perfect out of the box.

"Why should I buy a laptop at 1500Ôé¼ when I could have all the features and much more in a pocketable Archos Android 5 160GB: 300Ôé¼ - 160GB 1.8" - HSDPA - 4.8" LCD - 1cm thinness, that is, according to my calculations and expectations."

Fun fact here, you can not currently put all features from a laptop into an archos, not unless they can invent a new mobile video card 1/3 the size most current laptop cards, 4gb of ram into half the size it is, and a 2.0x2ghz intel core 2 processor. In the end Archos is simply a media player with a little internet capabilities, you need to realize it is not a PC and will not be a PC in any way shape or form. Charbax i want you to take your 5 and use it as your sole PC all week for 1 week, every single thing you do on it, see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dasdren09 wrote:
Fun fact here, you can not currently put all features from a laptop into an archos, not unless they can invent a new mobile video card 1/3 the size most current laptop cards, 4gb of ram into half the size it is, and a 2.0x2ghz intel core 2 processor. In the end Archos is simply a media player with a little internet capabilities, you need to realize it is not a PC and will not be a PC in any way shape or form. Charbax i want you to take your 5 and use it as your sole PC all week for 1 week, every single thing you do on it, see how that goes.

The funnest fact is that you can put more things into an Archos than you can have in an Intel-powered X86 laptop. That is a simple fact. Reason is that Texas Instruments is able to put SO MANY things on their SoC (System On A Chip), in fact an amazing amount of things are on there, and the way ARM + DSP works, with IVAÔäó 2+, with CortexÔäó-A8 at 800mhz (for all the interfaces, not for processor intensive tasks), the OpenGL ES┬« 2.0 support built-in for pretty advanced 3D graphics renderings in real-time, sure it might be 3D graphics like a 2004 Nvidia card, but that's plenty enough for plenty of 3D things and consider that it uses about 100 times less power than a 2004 Nvidia graphics card all that built in a super optimized 65-nm CMOS process which makes the whole SoC by Texas Instruments super reliable, super compact, and which emits very little heat so that makes it that much more reliable, cheap and consumes very little power even doing the most processing intensive tasks.

In fact, the Archos 5 is nearly usable as a full Laptop replacement as it is. You just plug it to a HDTV, connect a USB mouse and a keyboard, and you are nearly all set. Surely, with third party applications support and a few more optimizations, the Archos Android line should be even closer to achieve full PC/Laptop replacement. And in fact, this year, ARM Cortex based laptops will be released and will replace PC/Laptops running hardware and software by Intel/Microsoft.

With a bit of luck, within a few months, a full Google Chrome browser will be available for Android and that will have full Google Gears support for an offline database located on the Archos itself, thus making real-time support for 98% of the types of applications most people need directly from within the browser. As Google works to provide more and more web based applications which all can synchronize with a Google Gears offline database functionality not only to work while offline, but especially, to speed things up while online and basically make applications feel like they are real native local desktop style applications, no matter your Internet connection speed and reliability. Also, I am pretty sure we are going to see pretty amazing video editing and photo editing based applications for ARM based devices, those will use cloud computing to speed up rendering times and video-encoding times. In fact, video-encoding on an ARM device, once you have a good enough upload to upload all your source files to the cloud fast enough, the encoding speed will be 1000 times faster than using an Intel powere X86 processor to do all your video encodings. At which point, what else would anyone really need on their PC/Laptop replacement?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It would be great to incorporate handwriting recognition into the 5 (or via an Android update to the 5) in addition to the keyboard. It would be very close to a Tablet PC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you incorporate capacitative touchscreen, you can't really use styluses the same way as with resistive touchscreens. At least as far as I know. So if they can make it capacitative (the worlds first capacitative 4.8" screen that I would know of), then not so sure handwriting recognition makes sense still.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are combination touch/digitizer screens but probably not in the 4.8" size. If beginning of Q3 is the target, the Archos Android cannot be too far away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
In fact, the Archos 5 is nearly usable as a full Laptop replacement as it is.

Charbax, I know it's April 1st, but that's stretching the bounds of credibility just a little too much. I think you need to get yourself a new laptop.

Gave me a bit of a laugh though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
If you incorporate capacitative touchscreen, you can't really use styluses the same way as with resistive touchscreens. At least as far as I know. So if they can make it capacitative (the worlds first capacitative 4.8" screen that I would know of), then not so sure handwriting recognition makes sense still.

That's the point. I was shocked that using the finger on the iPod Touch's capacitive touch screen is more accurate than the 5's resistive touch screen using a stylus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chengbin wrote:
Charbax wrote:

That's the point. I was shocked that using the finger on the iPod Touch's capacitive touch screen is more accurate than the 5's resistive touch screen using a stylus.

Good luck having handwriting recognition using just your finger.