Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
cmuralhas wrote:
I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.

Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products, ergo Archos software is already light years infront of any software Apple has done so far.

What a piece of brainless forum conversation this thread is turning into again.

Archos has released new firmware updates for the Archos 5 about 8 times already in just over 5 months, while Apple hasn't even released 3 firmware updates so far for the iphone in over 20 months.

That's typical unless you are praising Archos your brainless.... well Charbax it appears you always seem to get a perfect working device, hence you never seem to have any problems. My reality is different. I have owned a AV500, a 604 and I currently have a very buggy 605. how about a swap, or maybe you can get Archos to fix all the issues i have since day 1. I have tried but you seem to have more clout. So how about contacting me and exchanging products give me your shiny all guns blazing working 5. You seem to jump on anyone who say anything bad about Archos or hold an opinion that is different to yours. I would also think about replacing the head of Archos because if They as you claim have "about 10000 more features than Apple products, ergo Archos software is already light years in front of any software Apple has done so far". Then why they are not doing better then Apple? I only Know 2 other friends(geeks) who own an Archos. I have many friends who own and Apple Ipod. So where have Archos gone wrong, if they they make to die for products? I'm still waiting for all the promises from the 604 any suggestions would be greatly received. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

statsja, don't worry. Many people already know that Archos is FAR better than apple in that regard.'

I jump on morons like carlos murlhapies who keeps spewing out nonsense about Archos embedded software quality.

Fact is Archos embedded software processes TONS more bits per second, stores TONS more bits per cubic inch, displays TONS more bits per square inch, loads TONS more bits per click. I could go on.

Sometimes less bits can be good, but NOT in this case, cause the vision of the iphone is ACTUALLY to do the kind of things that Archos does way better.

Unless of course you are into iFart and iBeer type of brainless applications, then for sure, the Flash based fart games that work on Archos are probably not as stupid as the ones running on apples applications platform.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
statsja, don't worry. Many people already know that Archos is FAR better than apple in that regard.'

I jump on morons like carlos murlhapies who keeps spewing out nonsense about Archos embedded software quality.

Fact is Archos embedded software processes TONS more bits per second, stores TONS more bits per cubic inch, displays TONS more bits per square inch, loads TONS more bits per click. I could go on.

Sometimes less bits can be good, but NOT in this case, cause the vision of the iphone is ACTUALLY to do the kind of things that Archos does way better.

Unless of course you are into iFart and iBeer type of brainless applications, then for sure, the Flash based fart games that work on Archos are probably not as stupid as the ones running on apples applications platform.

Thanks for your reply, However all of this info is useless unless the product works. They may well embed tons of process and store tons, however it would be nice if I could just experience the joy & enthusiasm you have because i have a product fit for purpose. I have tried to stay loyal to Archos I own 4 products but my frustration is along with a half decent product is, the empty promises they make, and poor very poor IMHO customer service. At least I can watch the Ifart, beer, or any kind of I-apple apps. Why? because they work plain and simple. If only Archos were a little more customer savvy, they would have would have world domination..... I'm still waiting for that nice man who sell Archos on QVC to contact me. I met him at the STuff show in the UK and voiced my concerns he took my details and promised to call.... Guess what Chabax I'm still waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
cmuralhas wrote:
I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.

Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products, ergo Archos software is already light years infront of any software Apple has done so far.

What a piece of brainless forum conversation this thread is turning into again.

Archos has released new firmware updates for the Archos 5 about 8 times already in just over 5 months, while Apple hasn't even released 3 firmware updates so far for the iphone in over 20 months.

on the last point. they haven't even released 3 MAJOR firmware updates. there have been many, many 1.xx, 2.xx updates. Just like how Archos has released many 1.xx updates (most updates getting the product to where it should have been when released, and fixing bugs), but no major update. I'd say Apple is ahead in that area. My gf has a touch, and i used it for a few months. It had no bugs I was really aware of (the obscure one, but very very minor).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

the archos isn't perfect , as said before horrible customer service and buggy software thats gotten a little better with last firmware update , but it is far ahead of any apple product , Ipod has TONS of advertising and marketability , something that a small company like archos fails to wield , which is a big reason for all its product sales

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products

:lol: Ha ha, holy s**t that's hilarious. Must have been some crazy math used to get that number.

The quality of Apple's software blows away the janky software that Archos produces. This is coming from someone who hates apple products (mostly because of their dependancy on itunes). The Archos media players definitely have a few well intended features that ipods lack, but they're implementation of those features is so retarded that I'd rather look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i dont know about everyone else, but i am perfectly happy with my a5. its the best thing i have bought since....well ever. yes, everything is kind of expensive for it, but its still awesome. i just wish that archos products come out of the box with pretty much all the bugs worked out, not while they are still in beta.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have a Touch and I have an A5. I use the A5 - no question that it's the only option when you have 11,000 + songs and a bunch of videos you want to have on it.

With the Touch, you don't need to be dependant on iTunes. I use MediaMonkey and for reasonably small sets of information that works great. I did have RedChair stuff for previous iPods and it worked great with earlier versions of the pod, but had problems that they have hopefully corrected. NOTHING compares to drag and drop direct file management of the Archos (which Sandisk and others also have). I do very much dislike that this is missing in Apples.

10000 more features I also take issue to. I do like that the A5 has DVR functionality, GPS functionality (if it was working for me in Canada), more formats for music, more formats for video, etc.

BUT the iDevices have apps. Not a small set of games and utilities from a closed development, but thousands of apps written by developers and hobbiests from around the world. Yes, MOST are crap like the beer apps. Some are exceptional like the WiFi tools, networking tools and others useful for my job. Others are very useful like the dictionaries, timers and yes, even the levels.

My hope is that the Android devices will be open and that anyone will be able to develop applications for it. Archos does not seem great at getting stable software out in reasonable time frames.

I also hope the next-gen hardware will be powerful and it will have full API support. Keep the big high-res screen, keep the huge capacity, improve WiFi range, change the coating on the metal. Add an accelerometer and GPS to the device (off by default), add decent built-in camera if possible. Make the battery removable. Whatever improvements could be made to size and weight would be nice, but for me function is primary.

Brent212 wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products

:lol: Ha ha, holy s**t that's hilarious. Must have been some crazy math used to get that number.

The quality of Apple's software blows away the janky software that Archos produces. This is coming from someone who hates apple products (mostly because of their dependancy on itunes). The Archos media players definitely have a few well intended features that ipods lack, but they're implementation of those features is so retarded that I'd rather look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbutt please name these 10,000 more features than the Iphone/ Itouch. I would love to know them. The reason that Archos will not ever be the Iphone/ Itouch killer is their complete lack of care for their customers and their crappy OS. Apple actually listens to their customer when doing a major update. Archos hasn't ever released a MAJOR update. I would gladly pay for a MAJOR update for my A5. It won't ever happen, but it's no sweat off my sack. I know now never to buy an Archos product. Even with all their minor updates they still haven't fixed anything. Adding stupid "features" isn't going to fix anything. Open the OS for a month and you'll see that everything will be fixed and in perfect working order. Archos will also see more sales within that month, than they ever had since the release of the A5. But no, our crappy plugins that you don't need won't sell. Boo Hoo. Oh well I give Archos another year before they economy and lack of sales (due to lack of customers) kills them.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just search through my previous posts if you want all the 10 thousand things that Archos does better. Just to name a few:

- Better resolution (both to display and to decode)
- Better 2x larger screen
- Better processor (loads pages, videos, interfaces much faster)
- VGA resolution full framerate high bitrate video Encoding with component, composite and S-video inputs
- HDTV output with HDMI and Component
- Many more codecs such as DivX/XviD support (95% of online pirated movies and TV shows), Flash video support (95% of online web streaming videos), full DVD resolution Mpeg2 support (100% of DVDs, 98% of recorded and streamed DVB TV contents), Flac and Ogg (most of open source lossless and lossy audio codec content fanatics), Real full DVD resolution and higher bitrate H264 video support, Real Video support (80% of Asian piracy), AC3 audio support in DivX/XviD (In 15% of pirated movies), Mp3 audio support in DivX/XviD (in 85% of pirated movies and 100% of pirated TV shows).
- 10 times more storage
- CHEAPER THAN THE IPHONE
- Flash video and regular Flash support (as long as ActionScript2 not ActionScript3, fault of Adobe not providing ActionScript3 support yet)
- On board DVB-T tuner support
- 7 hours video playback battery life with Battery Dock battery life extender support
- FM radio remote with FM radio recording and voice notes
- I could go on for thousands more features where Archos is much better than the iphone.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax, still ignoring every reason given by us...

brdystyls, I agree TOTALLy with you, like us there are a lot others that feel that way and Charbax has problems listening to us all...

Best

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

striker wrote:
(About Apple) they haven't even released 3 MAJOR firmware updates. there have been many, many 1.xx, 2.xx updates. Just like how Archos has released many 1.xx updates (most updates getting the product to where it should have been when released, and fixing bugs), but no major update. I'd say Apple is ahead in that area. My gf has a touch, and i used it for a few months. It had no bugs I was really aware of (the obscure one, but very very minor).

Com'on, EVERYONE KNOWS the third one OS 3.0 comes out somewhere next June! Only days to go, and comparing to Archos Apple has given us that info for more than 60 days now.

And the important issue remains: Apple will give this update to EVERY iPhone 2G and iPhone3G out there. Another thing they said more than 60 days ago.

What does Archos tell you?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nothing :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apple has never added such major new features as whole new codecs, On2, Flac, Ogg Theora, Real Video, HD 1280x720 video playback, DVB-T decoding and recording, full in-car turn by turn GPS with continent wide built-in maps support and so many more core high bitrate, high data throughput, high performance MAJOR FEATURE updates. But you bunch of Apple fanboy zombies wouldn't know the difference. And as soon as Steve Jobs shows some flashy new interface for scrolling through a list of contacts you think it is the second coming of "Jesus metrosexual don't know what value of tech really is". Anyways, I don't need to discuss this anymore, it has been discussed for dozens of months already.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2