Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I wouldn't even dream of buying an A5 now after this announcement... And it comes only a few months after release!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

We can hope that Android is ported to the 5 and 7. The 5 and 7 is good hardware if the inconsistencies can be worked out. My hardware is solid so I'm holding onto it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Archos5Fan wrote:
We can hope that Android is ported to the 5 and 7. The 5 and 7 is good hardware if the inconsistencies can be worked out. My hardware is solid so I'm holding onto it.

Archos says they're not going to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No *plans*, or plans that they may disclose. Clever wording. Plans change and so do public disclosures. I would be *really* surprised if the support team (Tims-support) has anything more than canned answers and the user manual. It might not happen but I have a bit of hope.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, the ext generation is unlikely to be available before summer at least, so this might put off some people who were considering upgrading from something else, but for those who want/need something soon I doubt it will matter much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Archos now has so many irons in the fire that it is absolutely guaranteed that not a single one of them will turn out properly. They simply do not have the resources to support their product.

I think this is a sign of a panicking management trying to get a "hit" or a hint of a it so that they can sell the company to a bigger player for maximum dollar (or Euro, as the case may be).

This is not the sign of a rational focused niche-exploiting small tech operation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Make a big splash with a little rock. Well one has to start somewhere. If one takes look at Archos' history throughout the years the products have progressed and do look better. I have firmware bugs that I hope are fixed. It would be nice but if Archos didn't fix them at all the "5" would still be quite usuable to me if less so than expectations. I just hope that Archos isn't exceeding its grasp so much that they become paralyzed. An inventor sells ideas, a company sells products.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

this is retarded its what i want but i just got the a5...... seriously a5 has bugs and has been out for 4 months now they make something new?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

burt wrote:
this is retarded its what i want but i just got the a5...... seriously a5 has bugs and has been out for 4 months now they make something new?

Actually, no. It'll be released a year after the Archos 5, just like every other Archos product ever.

Let's look to history:
The Archos Generation 5 was released in September of 2007, and a year later Generation 6 was released.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep, so be looking for something around September. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos can do whatever they want whenever they want with Android and DOZENS of next generations.

I seriously hope yhis work on the next generation doesn't stop them from solving Archos 5 issues and release the promises they made for it. I don't care what that solution is, if Archos feels that they have to move to Android to get something working then they HAVE TO CONSIDER and deliver ti to gen 6 customers.

Not doing this will leave a lot of customers not trusting Archos again. They surely generated some heat with its NO CAPACITY to solve Archos 5 issues, NO RELEASE of what they promised, NO ACKNOWLEDGE of its problems, NO GUARANTEE of a solution, and SPECIALLY BAD SUPPORT to Archos 5 owners's problems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:31 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

cmuralhas wrote:
Archos can do whatever they want whenever they want with Android and DOZENS of next generations.

I seriously hope yhis work on the next generation doesn't stop them from solving Archos 5 issues and release the promises they made for it. I don't care what that solution is, if Archos feels that they have to move to Android to get something working then they HAVE TO CONSIDER and deliver ti to gen 6 customers.

Not doing this will leave a lot of customers not trusting Archos again. They surely generated some heat with its NO CAPACITY to solve Archos 5 issues, NO RELEASE of what they promised, NO ACKNOWLEDGE of its problems, NO GUARANTEE of a solution, and SPECIALLY BAD SUPPORT to Archos 5 owners's problems.

All I can suggest is emailing Archos and requesting they allow optional upgrades to Android for Archos 5/7 owners. The more requests, the more likely it is for it to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:25 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

This is pretty much what Apple does, release a new product every year or so. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. However, since this is a major platform change, Archos should consider unlocking the Archos 5 & 7 firmware if they're no longer going to support it after the Android (if they're still going to issue bi-monthly updates, then that's fine and no reason to unlock firmware). This would be a good move for a business that has many unhappy customers. A little goes a long way and most companies don't understand such things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

but the thing with archos is they haven't even completely fixed thhe bugs with their current product.. how are they expecting their customers to buy their new product if they continue providing this kind of service? they'll just screw their customers all over again with slow firmware updates and buggy interface once again.. leaving them hanging all over again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bmn wrote:
This is pretty much what Apple does, release a new product every year or so. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. However, since this is a major platform change, Archos should consider unlocking the Archos 5 & 7 firmware if they're no longer going to support it after the Android (if they're still going to issue bi-monthly updates, then that's fine and no reason to unlock firmware). This would be a good move for a business that has many unhappy customers. A little goes a long way and most companies don't understand such things.

Updates for iPhone or iPod Touch are available for previous hardware generations. The first iPhone hardware (GSM and no GPS) has exactly the same firmware as the new iPhone3G. According to Apple this will continue to be so for several generations. iPod Touch users have to pay 9,99Ôé¼ for every MAJOR upgrade (1.x --> 2.x --> 3.x etc) tough, but they can upgrade also.
I believe Archos should learn from Apple in this regard... however in order for Archos to do this they would need to KNOW HOW TO do this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

[-X You Guys never learn... Archos has always operated in this way. But they seem content with always playing catch up to the likes of Apple. They could have had total world domination if only the products they made lived up to the hype and they were more customer focused. Say what you like about Apple ( I know they are not perfect) however they have managed to make very desirable products. Maybe the lovely folks at Archos could do well to more than just copy the Apple style video they are now using to promote the Archos 5 & 7. here's hoping.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cmuralhas wrote:
bmn wrote:

Updates for iPhone or iPod Touch are available for previous hardware generations. The first iPhone hardware (GSM and no GPS) has exactly the same firmware as the new iPhone3G. According to Apple this will continue to be so for several generations. iPod Touch users have to pay 9,99Ôé¼ for every MAJOR upgrade (1.x --> 2.x --> 3.x etc) tough, but they can upgrade also.
I believe Archos should learn from Apple in this regard... however in order for Archos to do this they would need to KNOW HOW TO do this.

Once again:

From Apple Insider on 17th March:
"... iPhone customers will be able to download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free this summer and iPod touch customers will be able to purchase the software update for $9.95. Apple notes that MMS messaging will be available only on iPhone 3G and that fees may apply. Some iPhone 3.0 features may also not be supported by older hardware, such as the original iPhone, citing differences in the internal radio."

Archos has something to learn from this, however are they able to?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Have faith cmuralhas... maybe one fine day in a far far galaxy Archos may do something for their fan/customer base... [-X Don't hold your breath waiting. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmuralhas wrote:
I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.

Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products, ergo Archos software is already light years infront of any software Apple has done so far.

What a piece of brainless forum conversation this thread is turning into again.

Archos has released new firmware updates for the Archos 5 about 8 times already in just over 5 months, while Apple hasn't even released 3 firmware updates so far for the iphone in over 20 months.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next