Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:02 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Derby, UK
I wouldn't even dream of buying an A5 now after this announcement... And it comes only a few months after release!


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Posts: 1915
We can hope that Android is ported to the 5 and 7. The 5 and 7 is good hardware if the inconsistencies can be worked out. My hardware is solid so I'm holding onto it.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 am 
Offline
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:13 am
Posts: 232
Archos5Fan wrote:
We can hope that Android is ported to the 5 and 7. The 5 and 7 is good hardware if the inconsistencies can be worked out. My hardware is solid so I'm holding onto it.

Archos says they're not going to.
Image


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Posts: 1915
No *plans*, or plans that they may disclose. Clever wording. Plans change and so do public disclosures. I would be *really* surprised if the support team (Tims-support) has anything more than canned answers and the user manual. It might not happen but I have a bit of hope.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:45 pm
Posts: 529
Well, the ext generation is unlikely to be available before summer at least, so this might put off some people who were considering upgrading from something else, but for those who want/need something soon I doubt it will matter much.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 143
Archos now has so many irons in the fire that it is absolutely guaranteed that not a single one of them will turn out properly. They simply do not have the resources to support their product.

I think this is a sign of a panicking management trying to get a "hit" or a hint of a it so that they can sell the company to a bigger player for maximum dollar (or Euro, as the case may be).

This is not the sign of a rational focused niche-exploiting small tech operation.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Posts: 1915
Make a big splash with a little rock. Well one has to start somewhere. If one takes look at Archos' history throughout the years the products have progressed and do look better. I have firmware bugs that I hope are fixed. It would be nice but if Archos didn't fix them at all the "5" would still be quite usuable to me if less so than expectations. I just hope that Archos isn't exceeding its grasp so much that they become paralyzed. An inventor sells ideas, a company sells products.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 pm
Posts: 22
this is retarded its what i want but i just got the a5...... seriously a5 has bugs and has been out for 4 months now they make something new?


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:13 am
Posts: 232
burt wrote:
this is retarded its what i want but i just got the a5...... seriously a5 has bugs and has been out for 4 months now they make something new?

Actually, no. It'll be released a year after the Archos 5, just like every other Archos product ever.

Let's look to history:
The Archos Generation 5 was released in September of 2007, and a year later Generation 6 was released.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Posts: 1915
Yep, so be looking for something around September. Should be interesting.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm
Posts: 338
Archos can do whatever they want whenever they want with Android and DOZENS of next generations.

I seriously hope yhis work on the next generation doesn't stop them from solving Archos 5 issues and release the promises they made for it. I don't care what that solution is, if Archos feels that they have to move to Android to get something working then they HAVE TO CONSIDER and deliver ti to gen 6 customers.

Not doing this will leave a lot of customers not trusting Archos again. They surely generated some heat with its NO CAPACITY to solve Archos 5 issues, NO RELEASE of what they promised, NO ACKNOWLEDGE of its problems, NO GUARANTEE of a solution, and SPECIALLY BAD SUPPORT to Archos 5 owners's problems.

_________________
Carlos Muralhas


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:31 am 
Offline
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:13 am
Posts: 232
cmuralhas wrote:
Archos can do whatever they want whenever they want with Android and DOZENS of next generations.

I seriously hope yhis work on the next generation doesn't stop them from solving Archos 5 issues and release the promises they made for it. I don't care what that solution is, if Archos feels that they have to move to Android to get something working then they HAVE TO CONSIDER and deliver ti to gen 6 customers.

Not doing this will leave a lot of customers not trusting Archos again. They surely generated some heat with its NO CAPACITY to solve Archos 5 issues, NO RELEASE of what they promised, NO ACKNOWLEDGE of its problems, NO GUARANTEE of a solution, and SPECIALLY BAD SUPPORT to Archos 5 owners's problems.

All I can suggest is emailing Archos and requesting they allow optional upgrades to Android for Archos 5/7 owners. The more requests, the more likely it is for it to happen.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:25 am 
Offline
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:44 pm
Posts: 151
This is pretty much what Apple does, release a new product every year or so. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. However, since this is a major platform change, Archos should consider unlocking the Archos 5 & 7 firmware if they're no longer going to support it after the Android (if they're still going to issue bi-monthly updates, then that's fine and no reason to unlock firmware). This would be a good move for a business that has many unhappy customers. A little goes a long way and most companies don't understand such things.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:32 pm
Posts: 339
but the thing with archos is they haven't even completely fixed thhe bugs with their current product.. how are they expecting their customers to buy their new product if they continue providing this kind of service? they'll just screw their customers all over again with slow firmware updates and buggy interface once again.. leaving them hanging all over again


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:54 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm
Posts: 338
bmn wrote:
This is pretty much what Apple does, release a new product every year or so. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. However, since this is a major platform change, Archos should consider unlocking the Archos 5 & 7 firmware if they're no longer going to support it after the Android (if they're still going to issue bi-monthly updates, then that's fine and no reason to unlock firmware). This would be a good move for a business that has many unhappy customers. A little goes a long way and most companies don't understand such things.

Updates for iPhone or iPod Touch are available for previous hardware generations. The first iPhone hardware (GSM and no GPS) has exactly the same firmware as the new iPhone3G. According to Apple this will continue to be so for several generations. iPod Touch users have to pay 9,99Ôé¼ for every MAJOR upgrade (1.x --> 2.x --> 3.x etc) tough, but they can upgrade also.
I believe Archos should learn from Apple in this regard... however in order for Archos to do this they would need to KNOW HOW TO do this.

_________________
Carlos Muralhas


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:26 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 pm
Posts: 92
[-X You Guys never learn... Archos has always operated in this way. But they seem content with always playing catch up to the likes of Apple. They could have had total world domination if only the products they made lived up to the hype and they were more customer focused. Say what you like about Apple ( I know they are not perfect) however they have managed to make very desirable products. Maybe the lovely folks at Archos could do well to more than just copy the Apple style video they are now using to promote the Archos 5 & 7. here's hoping.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm
Posts: 338
I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.

_________________
Carlos Muralhas


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:52 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm
Posts: 338
cmuralhas wrote:
bmn wrote:
This is pretty much what Apple does, release a new product every year or so. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. However, since this is a major platform change, Archos should consider unlocking the Archos 5 & 7 firmware if they're no longer going to support it after the Android (if they're still going to issue bi-monthly updates, then that's fine and no reason to unlock firmware). This would be a good move for a business that has many unhappy customers. A little goes a long way and most companies don't understand such things.

Updates for iPhone or iPod Touch are available for previous hardware generations. The first iPhone hardware (GSM and no GPS) has exactly the same firmware as the new iPhone3G. According to Apple this will continue to be so for several generations. iPod Touch users have to pay 9,99Ôé¼ for every MAJOR upgrade (1.x --> 2.x --> 3.x etc) tough, but they can upgrade also.
I believe Archos should learn from Apple in this regard... however in order for Archos to do this they would need to KNOW HOW TO do this.

Once again:

From Apple Insider on 17th March:
"... iPhone customers will be able to download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free this summer and iPod touch customers will be able to purchase the software update for $9.95. Apple notes that MMS messaging will be available only on iPhone 3G and that fees may apply. Some iPhone 3.0 features may also not be supported by older hardware, such as the original iPhone, citing differences in the internal radio."

Archos has something to learn from this, however are they able to?

_________________
Carlos Muralhas


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 pm
Posts: 92
Have faith cmuralhas... maybe one fine day in a far far galaxy Archos may do something for their fan/customer base... [-X Don't hold your breath waiting. :)


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
cmuralhas wrote:
I have. Archos will never fool me again. I now know that Archos as a company doesn't have what it takes to be on the top of technology in these times. Good hardware doesn't make a good product, very good software is needed to use at full the hardware and Archos is WAY OFF in this regard.

But Charbax may be right: Android will be a very good product in the future, just not on Archos Hardware.


Archos has about 10000 more features than Apple products, ergo Archos software is already light years infront of any software Apple has done so far.

What a piece of brainless forum conversation this thread is turning into again.

Archos has released new firmware updates for the Archos 5 about 8 times already in just over 5 months, while Apple hasn't even released 3 firmware updates so far for the iphone in over 20 months.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited