Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I dont think Archos means that the 500gb version is 10mm thin they mean that it will be avaliable up to 500gb storage and that the smaller capacity version will be 10mm thin. It just like the 5 series now, 60 version is 12mm thin (uses 1.8" drive) and 120/250gb version is 19mm thin (uses 2.5" drive). Your not going to get 500gb of flash or a 500gb 1.8" HDD, not even within the next few years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

If Android is released and is flawless... because I'm guessing Archos Learned from all us Chumps and our broken down 5's and 7's and now will have a polished product... I just won't have the money to buy it anymore...

The Android will Crush the Iphone if it is made properly without a large number of flaws.

But I do agree I do not think they can make it 10mm thin with a 500gb :^o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

512 GB MLC SSD is possible... but I don┬┤t know if it┬┤s real... :D
In my mind, a MLC SSD is the best way for future gadgets (the performance is great (access time and transferrate), erase counts for the flash is okay in relation of a mobile player (a SLC SSD is not needed, the costs are okay in future for MLC SSDs)...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why is everyone so quick to write off the 5 and 7? Did Apple drop the touch just because they brought out the Iphone?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

SvenC wrote:
Quote:
ARCHOS is marrying its rich digital media history with voice functionality to tackle new markets. ARCHOS' new Android-based IMT with voice functionality will be released in 3Q 2009.

You didn't paste the part where they will release it with beta firmware and half of the promised codecs/accessories.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 am 

correct me if im wrong, but speculation was that the 5 (gen 6 models) would eventually run on andoid after it came out of beta. i remember reading this somewhere or was this my imagination playing tricks on me.
roy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It just was my speculation, and still is, that it would be a good investment for Archos to provide Android on the Archos 5, Archos 7 and Archos 5G in a firmware update.

This would prevent them from cannibalizing the sales of the current Generation by this Android announcement. This would give a good taste of the possibilities of the future Generation to current owners.

Cause Android isn't just an OS, there are hardware things that are pretty central to what many Android applications require to function, like built-in GPS, some use tilt and the electronic compass. With voice and a new standby/resume function that goes to support that. So just there you'd have certain smartphone-type of hardware features to really differentiate the next generation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If they can adopt and adapt :shock: Android into the present units and put a 500GB drive into something resembling portable with decent battery life, I'm in.

May as well try it with the 5. As they say "get their feet wet" and be ready to hit the ground running when Archos Android or AA (not that one for you twelve-steppers!) or whatever Archos calls it when it gets released to the public.

Let's see: 7-hour battery life (video), PVA widescreen, 500GB, OGG, FLAC, AAC, MP3, FM radio, web browser, Adobe updateable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

This move to Android is a Good thing as it will mean longer support for products and abilities/Apps/Plugins as archos isn't controlling the OS anymore. Hopefully they won't lock the devices too much so that apps can be added without having to buy them from archos directly. Those who own a 605 or before know how archos handles new products; Old Products are like an Ex-girlfriend, they get dropped and never look back (unless they get nagged and nagged - then they'll tell you what you want to hear). I wouldn't expect that archos will back-port Android to the current 5/7 even if they say so. They have a tendency to drop press releases on the market and then not even abide by them. (example - TVPortation). If the hardware remains the same, hacking the Archos OS to get android on there might be a more viable option than anything done with the 605. I think Archos is going to spend alot of their time porting the applications already in use to be ready for android and since both are linux based, I don't see much in the way of the interface (for those specific apps) changing.

We'll see but IMO, this is the logical step for archos to make. Hardware AND software support is a difficult thing to take on and I think archos has been doing it for way too long and needs to stick to the hardware.

~SB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ant92 wrote:
I dont think Archos means that the 500gb version is 10mm thin they mean that it will be avaliable up to 500gb storage and that the smaller capacity version will be 10mm thin. It just like the 5 series now, 60 version is 12mm thin (uses 1.8" drive) and 120/250gb version is 19mm thin (uses 2.5" drive). Your not going to get 500gb of flash or a 500gb 1.8" HDD, not even within the next few years.

Can we please stop with the marketing BS of calling something so many mm thin? Thickness is a dimension; an object can have near zero thickness, but it is still thickness, not thinness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

strikeback03 wrote:
Ant92 wrote:

Can we please stop with the marketing BS of calling something so many mm thin? Thickness is a dimension; an object can have near zero thickness, but it is still thickness, not thinness.

Yeah. It's like calling somebody `40 years young'. *shudder*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jasong wrote:
Why is everyone so quick to write off the 5 and 7?

Quote:
jasong

versus

Quote:
SvenC

a little something called experience

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I heard on Buzz Out Loud that they are putting Android on the Archos 5.
Unless I heard wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'd pay for an Archos 5 Android Update if Archos were determined to make money on it. (I doubt they would develop android for the 5 for free if they were releasing a new product with the capability)

As they are bound to drop updating the firmware of the 5 when the android device comes out, they could give 5 owners the option to update to Android for a fee or keep with the old firmware.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm curious about all of the excitement. The press releases only talk about implementing the Android telephony stack not the full operating system. I don't believe this means that you'll get a cool new user interface or access to lots of apps unless your talking about using the phone features. It also doesn't mean much for the 5 unless you've got a version with the 3G built in. Did I miss something in the release? It sounds like everyone is reading far too much into these releases. If Archos meant the full Android operating system, I doubt they would have been so specific mentioning just the telephony stack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The Android will Crush the Iphone if it is made properly without a large number of flaws.

Just because someone makes a better mousetrap rarely means that it will dominate the market and everyone will buy it. The most obvious example is Microsoft vs. any number of competitors. The next is the iPod but there are many others. Apple will protect their turf aggressively and Google has a lot of ground to catch up. Since Google doesn't make the hardware, they are at a disadvantage compared to Apple who can much better integrate hardware and operating system.

Here's hoping there are more great options in the future but I wouldn't be buying a yacht with winnings from any bet you make on Google over Apple just yet. Archos will be even less likely to overtake Apple's dominance simply due to marketing budgets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marketing budgets can have very little influence on Marketing on the Internet, meaning viral marketing and all that. And there could eventually be French Government support for Archos cause the French Government has already invested in Archos to have them develop solutions for French Citizen to bring media, the Internet in the pocket in an e-citizen kind of way with the improving of wireless information and TV access.

The thing is the pocket wireless Internet connection with multimedia support concept is not just a gimmick but it is potentially a really paradigm changing application once really used to its real potential by the mass market.

So Apples attempts are basically gimmicks to surf the existing wave of smartphone sales bundled on overly expensive Telecom contracts. The iphone thing has been very well planned in terms of Apple making a bunch of money. But it has definitely missed the opportunity to actually embrace pocket Internet and media technology to change paradigms for the mass market. Apple may still do better in the third generation iphone, but I think this is very unlikely cause Apple has always been completely close minded and only focused on the short term profits for shareholders. It's powered by a bunch of millionnaires who only care about their stock options, and with an economy like we have now, those Apple engineers don't even care anymore.

The logical only winner in this battle is Android because of it's Linux base, open source, free, supported by the absolute best programmers in the world at Google, light, compatible with all embedded platforms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Welcome back! :)

There is much potential the question will be how it is implemented and what it can bring to the market that netbooks do not supply. The enthusiasts will know the difference but what about the average buyer? In theory, we want the Archos Android to be in the hands of the average person -- the same average person that is going crazy in the USA over the iPhone (for good reasons or not).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I agree that Apple's forte is not really the internet, it's user interfaces. It always has been. I wouldn't say that Apple is only focused on short term profits. They've essentially changed two separate businesses, changed the way they operate and now own a majority of all music sales. That's hardly short term thinking although it may not have been the initial plan. Apple is certainly not about a greater community, it's about profit. But then neither is Google's. Apple apparently doesn't see a good business model for them in internet advertising dollars. Instead, they'd like to get paid for hardware and have a nice exclusive deal to fund it. Apple has become a major phone hardware manufacturer in just a few years. How long did it take Nokia, Motorola or even LG to do that? The market will likely remain fragmented among several hardware manufacturers and Apple will compete for a portion of that market.

The fact that every major web presence has developed their own apps for the iPhone should convince you it's not a gimmick even if Apple's implementation of a web browser leaves a lot to be desired. They've already changed the paradigm for a smart phone. Do you recall any phone before the iPhone providing voice activated web searches, Pandora, Paypal, Kindle reader, streaming audio/video or mapping your daily bike ride? I think we'll see some brilliant apps come from the Android community as well.

As far as Linux, we'll see but over the last 20 years of open source code, it has yet to take over the world of home users or even make a substantial dent in Microsoft even with Google, IBM and a few other major players now fully supporting it. Microsoft Office has just recently gotten some real open source competition but I doubt it's taken any real market share. Given another 20 years, it might succeed in becoming the dominant OS. Linux is a great OS and I'm a fan of open source but most users don't want to deal with searching for code. They want the device to come with the all software to use the device loaded, automatic updates and an easy way to find and load apps that always work well together. So far Apple's the only one that's delivered on that for smart phones. If Android delivers that experience, they will do very well indeed. Otherwise, it'll remain a niche product regardless of how much better an OS it is. I hope they succeed, because an extra player in the market of Google's capabilities will make all devices better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apple's iphone and itunes are niche products. They are paid for only by a certain type of middle-class to upper-class rich kids segment who like to show off more than anything tangible. In fact, that market segment of people who could afford an iphone is shrinking now constantly over the last 9 months and if you look for numbers I am sure you will find that iphone sales have been constantly slowing over the last several months. The market for such gimmick phone is definitely drying up. There are only so many Apple fanboys on this planet.

The bulk of itunes sales is to people who think it's the only way to get music on the Internet cause they want to put music on their ipods and iphones. The itunes revenue size might be bigger than Amazon Mp3 and whatever other miserable attempts there has been made for legal music online, but that certainly doesn't mean anything.

Even though itunes might represent some few billions in overall revenue over many years, that still is less than peanuts compared to the actual digital music consumption of people in society. Even most ipods and iphones used on the market mostly have illegally copied music on them in the Mp3 format, by a factor of over 95%. In fact, basically 99% of every teenager and young adults which comprise the largest majority of ipod and iphone owners know how to copy Mp3 files to it for free or knows someone who can do it for them.

The iphone may have a certain market share for smartphones in the USA, but that doesn't mean much, the current smartphone market is basically nothing more than a high end mobile phone segment. Basically it is the market segment of people who want to spend a lot of money on a shiny looking mobile phone. So far, it has very little to do with people looking to actually use any of the potential features of such a large screen data centric device. The features of the iphone are just a secondary treat that comes after the main usage, which is, for people to own an expensive looking piece of gadget to show off for voice and SMS use. Basically that is what all smartphones have been about so far.

Only Google can change that. Now having a Google phone will be about getting a better tool for navigating all the possibillities in society, for easily meeting new people, for significantly increasing business opportunities, for faster bookings and better managment of events, for better monitoring of health, for saving significant amounts of money on such expenses as voice/sms, shopping, travel, taxes, entertainment and information. Each of those new features are really huge and worth much more than the purchasing price of a Google Android based device, which since it's open source and free means you WILL find Android devices starting below $100 pretty soon without any type of subsidy through long term voice/sms subscriptions.

I can guarantee you that Linux can be in most phones and laptops starting this year. This is not revenues shifting from Microsoft/Intel/Apple/Nokia to other companies, these are revenues mostly disapearing from the grip of Silicon Valley cause Linux and Android means cheaper and better devices to more people made by more companies all around the world, which means lower margins, much much higher volumes. The old way of doing business is being cannibalized.