Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

See this link: http://code.google.com/

Could it be possible to run it on the Archos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Don't count on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it should be possible.

Someone at Archos and Texas Instruments need to port Android perfectly to the Texas Instruments DaVinci platform, to utilize the ARM and DSP chips for the different applications possible in the Android platform.

For sure it should be in Texas Instruments interest that all DaVinci based products would support Android.

The advantage is to have built-in access to all the upcomming Google Android applications, so I think this could be really useful for the next generation Archos products.

And for the Gen5, it could be nice as a new icon, so when you click on it it would boot Android with all the apps you can have for it. As well as it could be nice with an official icon to launch Qtopia and all the apps that can come with that.

In any ways, Archos certainly needs to provide an answer to the iPhone, iPod Touch and Zune SDKs that are being launched. And the possibillity that the Google Android apps become very popular, an instant compatibillity would be very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Although I would love to see this happen, I feel as if it is a bit assumptive and optimistic to believe that Archos would be willing, and even less possible, eager to implement any new open-source abilities on the 605. Their quick closing of the hack allowing open-source shows that they don't want their users to move in that direction, and I almost feel as if they wanted to let their players be open source, they would've been from the beginning. I love my Archos to death, but I don't put a lot of hope into thinking that Archos will be adding any new features to their players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Right on the mark, Cbud. Sad but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I agree with charbax that if Archos wants to be competitive in the future they have to update their policies about executing third party apps.

But knowing how work archos I don't expect anything like that for Gen5 and even for Gen6 (and probably even in the Gen7 :roll: )