It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Buyer Beware
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Here's a snip from the Archos USA A10 "features" page:

Ready To Connect
WeÔÇÖre serious when we talk about mobility and connectivity.
As with other ARCHOS products, the ARCHOS 10 will allow a 24/7 connection with its built-in WiFi and its USB-enabling 3G-ready capacities

I have an A10, and I'm at a loss to find any 3g functionality. And I'm not sure, but I think any device that has an internet connection can be left on 24/7.

I mean, a laptop without wifi and doesn't allow for extended internet connection is pretty much a non-starter. Yet this is the first banner headline describing the product like it's something unique to Archos.

MeThinks Henri is really Pepe LePew.

Post subject: Re: Buyer Beware
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It says you can use a USB dongle to connect to HSDPA internet. What's wrong with that.

The built-in HSDPA version I guess might or might not yet be released, probably costs plus $50 to manufacture, most likely sold through telecom carriers first.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You miss my point. The wording gives the impression that there's more to it than just using a dongle, which everyone already knows that we can use a USB dongle. We can use a Bluetooth dongle too, or a wireless N dongle, or whatever.

I hardly think having a USB port makes a device "3g network ready". And to shout it so loudly, as if that's a feature that should be influence the purchase decision, know what I mean? It's an example of Archos overhype.

It's like advertising a pen as "writes in 100 languages".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel calls it a netbook.

Are you saying that you think they should have called it a "screen with a keyboard and Microsoft that can go on the Internet" instead?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Are you using Babelfish to read posts? Because somehow you're not getting my point. Maybe it's me. let me rephrase.

A "NetBook" is simply a sub-compact laptop sans the DVD drive. Everything else about it is standard WinTel.

Everyone on the planet knows that USB is a way of attaching external hardware devices. The A10 is a standard WinTel machine, yet Archos is trumpeting that the A10 is "3g Ready" simply because you can go out and buy a USB dongle for 3g and it will work. Voila!! another Archos innovation, right?

To me, this is deceptive. The A10 is NOT 3g ready in the sense that you simply need an active 3g account and you're good to go. The term "3g" doesn't even belong in the marketing material any more than claiming it is "Bluetooth ready", or "Wireless N ready", both of which can be had via the USB as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A "Netbook" has the word Net in it, yet does not automatically connect to the Internet everywhere. You could call Intel on its deceptive marketing tactics just as well.

If you want the HSDPA module to be built-in, look for it to be said to be built-in in the specifications of the machine. Look for indication that it has built-in WWAN module with a built-in SIM card slot. And check the Internet for specific model numbers that have this built-in HSDPA functionality.

So far, "Netbooks" with that HSDPA functionality built-in have nearly only been sold through HSDPA service carriers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've made my point, and anyone familiar with Archos marketing knows it to be true whether you acknowledge the point or not. Archos persuades non-technical users by throwing jargon around in such a way to impress but not deliver.

Archos is big on "selling the sizzle", like Steve Jobs at Apple. The difference is Steve Jobs delivered real innovation, Archos doesn't. The iPhone is a GUI innovation as well as hardware.

Perhaps the French and the rest of "Old Europe" admire Archos, but it is little known here in the US. Although Henri shows a big map with lots of US penetration, I can assure you Archos cannot be found here on any store shelf, only special order.

Henri stretches the truth to the investors too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Budwzr wrote:
The difference is Steve Jobs delivered real innovation, Archos doesn't.

This is probably the worst insult someone could write on this forum.

No one could be furthest from the truth.

The only real innovation in Apple is the way they get to scam so many people over and over and that those people don't even realize that they are overpaying enormously for the value that they are getting. Apple customers are not just paying for "soft" value, "GUI innovation" as you put it, they are paying for the "privilege" of owning a piece of plastic with the half Apple logo on it. You may call that innovation, I call it gigantic Ponzi Scheme 2.0. Steve Jobs should get a 150 years prison sentence.

Archos mostly only still sell to geeks and advanced users. Users who know what they are buying. So if you buy an Archos 10 today thinking there is WWAN HSDPA sim card technology built-in, you are obviously a technological moron and deserve only to have Apple.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Budwzr wrote:
It's like advertising a pen as "writes in 100 languages".

:D :D :D :D :D

Charbax wrote:
So far, "Netbooks" with that HSDPA functionality built-in have nearly only been sold through HSDPA service carriers.

PC World sell netbooks with HSPDA built-in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CBers wrote:
PC World sell netbooks with HSPDA built-in.

Well there you have it. Advent 4213 with HSDPA built-in is £249 while the Archos 10 without HSDPA built-in can be found for about £220. About £30 = $50 in difference in price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
the Archos 10 without HSDPA built-in can be found for about £220.

Where from ??

I haven't seen it anywhere for less than £300.

Archos are still selling it for £350.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm an Apple hater too, but taking the politics out of it, I'm man enough to admit that the iPhone and iPod Touch firmware is very robust and reacts instantly, and is very polished. Archos never reached that level of polish, not even close.

I'm not insulting Archos, They know where the new benchmark is in portable hardware/firmware (the iPhone), and after careful consideration they decided they couldn't match it, and instead opted for Windows.

They are cleverly calling the 9 a netbook, but we all know it's what the 7 could have been if Archos didn't hamstring itself on its own firmware. Archos has been "hoisted by its own petard".

Hahaha, no hard feelings. :badgrin: