Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loserfish wrote:
Just curious.. shouldn't a site admin be a bit more polite and mature during a discussion?
I guess nobody is attacking you personally Charbax... and it's some some tech talk.. so take it easy... aren't we all friends in here? :)

kb likes to provoke. You should read some of his 1225 posts on this forum. He started claiming things like nobody would touch an Archos 10 with a stick and things like that. Then comparing me to his children.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Loserfish wrote:
Just curious.. shouldn't a site admin be a bit more polite and mature during a discussion?
I guess nobody is attacking you personally Charbax... and it's some some tech talk.. so take it easy... aren't we all friends in here? :)

kb likes to provoke. You should read some of his 1225 posts on this forum. He started claiming things like nobody would touch an Archos 10 with a stick and things like that. Then comparing me to his children.

They're just my honestly-held views. I may well be wrong; Heaven knows I've been wrong often enough in the past, and I can't imagine I won't be wrong again. But I don't believe I've posted anything on here that I don't actually believe, just to wind you up. I apologise if my lack of communication skills makes it appear that way. I can't help it that I disagree with you on so many things :/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

But would anybody in here actually consider to buy an Archos 10?

I doubt it... there are just so much better alternatives on the market already, from what we know so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Loserfish wrote:
But would anybody in here actually consider to buy an Archos 10?

I doubt it... there are just so much better alternatives on the market already, from what we know so far.

Sure I would consider buying an Archos 10 if (a) I wanted another netbook and (b) it was well-priced against the competition and (c) it was available from my local retail outlet and (d) I could run Linux on it without too much difficulty. I don't see why I wouldn't at least think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That is pretty much my take on the matter as well (other than the local retail outlet thing, I do all that type of shopping online). Specification-wise, it pretty much matches most of the other 10-inch class netbooks. So unless they include some special media interface, or make the included accessories extra appealing for the price, it has nothing going for it that the others do not.

My 5 serves all the purposes I can think of for a netbook though, if I need more capability than that I bring my Thinkpad. But they are selling, here is a few month old article on that: http://www.dailytech.com/Netbooks+Savin ... e13206.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I guess the netbook is a quick way to get Archos' name into the netbook market but I don't see what sets this netbook apart from all the others. The software suite is OK though some are trial versions (bloatware).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

so what plug-ins will they make us buy to get full usage out of this netbook??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Like i said in another thread :- If i wanted a laptop that was small i'd save up and buy a decent one.

I got the A7 for that reason as it does the basics i want. But Archos need to get their act together it should Quality rather than Quantity £300 + is a lot of money to spend on an item that is only supported for a bit more than a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Archos5Fan wrote:
It's things like this that are going to shake up the future market:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1644608896

It's enough of a computer yet close enough in size to be a portable media player to make it very, very attractive to even common users. I'm sure this Sony computer is not lost on Archos who are probably very aware of its existence. Add to that the netbooks from Acer, Asus, MSI, etc. and it's pretty clear what the direction for the market will be for the next few years.

Archos will need to be part of that direction or Archos could be in danger of being forgotten.

Have you seen the Samsung OMNIA, XPERIA or HTC Touch HD?

I think Samsung and HTC will Crash future market...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ahcor1991 wrote:
Have you seen the Samsung OMNIA, XPERIA or HTC Touch HD?

Crap, crap and crap. I have seen those.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:

30% : Price
20% : Size of the screen and keyboard
20% : Word of Mouth
10% : Hardware specification details
5% : Color
5% : Feeling, weight
4% : Brand recognition
3% : Easy to use Operating System
2% : Online Reviews
1% : Design

Based on those requirements, the Archos 10 has already lost on the first 3.

Price:
Advent 4213
LG X110
Compaq Mini700
Are all under £300 and offer the same, say for bit of disk space, spec as the Archos 10.

Screen and keyboard,

Very little difference in screens, resolutions are much a muchness, where it might count is matt or gloss, touch screen or not. Keyboards are a bit more of an issue, some netbooks have bad ones, some like the Samsung NC10 have half decent ones. Would it be a deal breaker for me? No.

Word of mouth.
Ask anyone with a bit of know about netbooks, chances are Archos won't get a mentioned (this could change if a miracle happens and they get some serious market share. I've had people ask me about what netbook to look at, the answer is the same. Asus, Acer, Advent, Samsung. Even though there are many more netbooks on the market now, none of them offer anything over what these three already offer.

So again, what is the Archos 10 bringing to this market? What is going to make people put their hard earned money on the table?
The best I can see it doing is picking up stragglers, from retailer that don't stock a wide choice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have a topic on this forum concerning the lack of discussion on the 10 -- good, bad or otherwise. Virtually nothing hardly a reply to that topic. Some of the other netbooks like the MSI Wind and Acer Aspire One have their own entire forums and thousands of questions, mods, accessories, etc. Archos -- some postings at Archos Lounge but that's about it. I still have not seen an Archos 10 at a store.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Archos5Fan wrote:
I have a topic on this forum concerning the lack of discussion on the 10 -- good, bad or otherwise. Virtually nothing hardly a reply to that topic. Some of the other netbooks like the MSI Wind and Acer Aspire One have their own entire forums and thousands of questions, mods, accessories, etc. Archos -- some postings at Archos Lounge but that's about it. I still have not seen an Archos 10 at a store.

The Archos 10 could well be popular in countries other then the ones we all live in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Seriously, don't people get it? The Archos 10 is irrelevant to the netbook market. Almost no one is going to buy it. It has no name recognition in the PC/notebook world, no special distinguishing features (except perhaps for more preinstalled crapware than the average Netbook), a comparable price to any of a dozen other similar devices, and a sensible buyer would look at the current economy and wonder how much longer Archos will exist to support their devices.

It's a genetic netbook slapped with an Archos sticker and some 10$ free media software. Archos has probably done absolutely no special software development for it, no special engineering for it, and invested nothing in it but the cost of updating its web site and sending out a few adverts. They were embarrassed to show it publicly at CES because they knew it would generate zero buzz. And that's exactly how it turned out.

As Charbax has pointed out, this product probably won't lose them much money because they invested nothing in it, but it sure cheapens the Archos name.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is something that Archos should be a leader in and they were caught napping. If they had developed the 7 with a clamshell keyboard and let users be able to install an OS (in effect, making it a netbook), Archos with that beautiful screen would be sitting pretty. Instead they got caught off guard and all the sales are going to the netbooks (a registered trademark of Psion ;) ).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Agreed. Archos have a number of things for which they are industry-leaders that could have been leveraged into something like a netbook last year. But I imagine they didn't have the resources to do so - it's a pretty small company after all.

So they settled for this outsourced irrelevance instead.

Unwise choice. IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Britman wrote:
Price:
Advent 4213
LG X110
Compaq Mini700
Are all under £300 and offer the same, say for bit of disk space, spec as the Archos 10.

Archos 10 I think is already below 299Ôé¼ thus that is below ┬ú279 and it has only just recently been launched.

http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Note ... os-10.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The chepeast Archos 10 was at QVC last weekend on their 24-hour special price of £347.88, and that was with lots of extra, including a 2nd 3-cell battery, 2nd mains lead and an ARCHOS case (slip-cover). It's now back to it's normal price of £402 !!

It's still well over £350 everywhere else in the UK, so is at least £100 more expensive than any comparable netbook.

I'm not doubting the 10's looks, and funcionality (!!), but it's too damn expensive.

I'd have bought one, if it wasn't for the price, instead of my £250 Advent 4213, which I cannot fault !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In my opinion, those Sony pink netbooks have limited appeal. And the price tag defeats the whole netbook concept. I have a mental picture of a buyer of one of these to be similar to the "actors" in "Beverly Hills Chihuahua".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CBers wrote:
The chepeast Archos 10 was at QVC last weekend on their 24-hour special price of £347.88, and that was with lots of extra, including a 2nd 3-cell battery, 2nd mains lead and an ARCHOS case (slip-cover). It's now back to it's normal price of £402 !!

It's still well over £350 everywhere else in the UK, so is at least £100 more expensive than any comparable netbook.

I'm not doubting the 10's looks, and funcionality (!!), but it's too damn expensive.

I'd have bought one, if it wasn't for the price, instead of my £250 Advent 4213, which I cannot fault !!

If Archos doesn't distribute the Archos 10 broadly to UK resellers use http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Note ... os-10.html at below 300Ôé¼, thus below ┬ú280. And that is for a laptop model by Archos which has been on the market only for a few weeks so far while the Advent/MSI model is already much broadlier available for months.

In fact the Archos 10 is about 40Ôé¼ cheaper than the similar Asus 1000H http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Note ... 1000H.html , Archos 10 is about 60Ôé¼ cheaper than the Samsung NC10 (similar appart from, the 6-cell battery option, but Archos has that option as well for much less than the 60Ôé¼ difference) http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Note ... et-BT.html , only the MSI Wind is at a pretty similar price just 10Ôé¼ more http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Note ... 616XP.html

The Archos 10 is about 100Ôé¼ cheaper than the new relatively similar Asus 1000HE which only has a 6-cell battery and a slightly optimized keyboard technology.

And the Archos 10S will come next month with some pretty modern Netbook features such as super slim and light 890 grams form factor with a chiclet keyboard and built-in HSDPA as well.

Saying that Archos does not play they Netbook cards right is simply RIDICULOUS.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next