Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i have used my A7 IMT for several years and have almost never removed the battery, however after packing it away for a month or two i went back to grab it recently and found my battery expanded so much it was almost completly disconnected from the device.

It looks extremely dangerous and about to explode

PIX are here
http://i.imgur.com/vj597.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9CWED.jpg

keep an eye out for your battery packs, i only use my archos every few months and the battery is usualy awesome, i hardly charged it, only once every few months and it would last that long. but out of nowhere it did this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Guess what? I just submitted my Archos support ticket for this very same reason. I went to go use it today and the pack is all puffed out and obviously cracked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

They wanted me to send it in but they said when they receive it they'll let me know how much. How much? I'm not paying more money, I already am sitting on a $550 paper weight. They're prob gonna want to charge me another $150 for a bettery or something. Le tme know how your rma goes. And how much it costs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

daewootech wrote:
They wanted me to send it in but they said when they receive it they'll let me know how much. How much? I'm not paying more money, I already am sitting on a $550 paper weight. They're prob gonna want to charge me another $150 for a bettery or something. Le tme know how your rma goes. And how much it costs.

How much it costs? Are you kidding me? It exploded! Would they charge me if it set my house on fire?

Last edited by Harfainx on Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foul Language

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yeah thats why i didnt bother, they should be thanking us for how much we spent on these devices and we got/get no support from them. especially the fact of the danger of this situation.

Last edited by Harfainx on Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foul Language

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Currently on the phone now. They are giving me the same schtick. Apparently I had it on the charger for to long? It was on the TV cradle. Has this ever happened with any other piece of electronics anyone has ever owned?

Last edited by Harfainx on Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foul Language

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Same deal. They basically offered nothing. Even B&H photo with their 3 year extended warranty plan wouldn't cover it because it is the battery. I never had luck with those useless warranties.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's been known on all Archos devices, you should NEVER leave your Archos units connected to the DVR units or to the AC!! Either battery will lose their charge or that expansion happens. I have my 605 and 7 and both of them are in great condition and battery still hold charge for long hours.

Still, it sucks that Archos charges $$$ for this.
They shouldn't! :x

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wow it seems that they seem to have some battery problems with this models batteries i went through two batteries the one that came with the device something went wrong with it and they replaced it then my last one just stopped charging and since it wasn't the device i got a new one from ebay and it works fine now.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i know one thing about the type they use for this device that if you do over charge it they will explode.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

So basically this confirms it that I did indeed by a very expensive piece of garbage. Archos is a laughable company with an inferior product.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can confirm that my original Archos 7 battery has expanded although not to the degree shown in the pictures.
I have since purchased replacement batteries from www.newmp3technology.com and resolved my issues.
I believe that there is an issue with the Battery on the Archos 7 gaining a charge memory and recharging it before it is completly discharged leads to this condition. You can whine all you want but all batteries suffer from this.
In short, disconnect the charger as soon as it starts blinking. Don't leave it on charge overnight. This does present a problem when trying to use the DVR Station where you have to charge the Archos to use it there.

Cost of a replacement standard battery (US) $45.00

Or you can get the high capacity bettery for (US) $60.00 which I routinely get a weeks worth of play from although I can't stick it in the DVR Docking Station due to sticking out the back too much. The regular attachments work fine though.

I have saved the shell of the old battery case in case I want to make an adapter to use it on the DVR Station without wrecking another battery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an Archos 9 that I took out of its box on my shelf (had been sitting for a couple months)
and the battery is expanded badly...

this looks unsafe... I have a few dozen of these things out in the field...

http://imgur.com/L7MJZ

Update: I spoke to Archos technical support who said there was only a 90 day warranty on the battery and a new one would be $110.
they skirted my concern as to the safety of the device...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think the reason the battery blows up is because the device's power comes from the battery, never from the AC adapter or DVR station. Those wall wart's power output is probably not smooth or stable enough to power the device, so archos taps DC power from the batteries, thus the batteries are forever being charged.

Anyway, I got one of those replacement batteries and all seem to be good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

correct... (which is why I previously posted: "It's been known on all Archos devices, you should NEVER leave your Archos units connected to the DVR units or to the AC!! ")

So, DON'T LEAVE YOUR ARCHOS DEVICES CONNECTED ALL THE TIME!!!

:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

eagle1 wrote:
correct... (which is why I previously posted: "It's been known on all Archos devices, you should NEVER leave your Archos units connected to the DVR units or to the AC!! ")

So they are garbage since no where has it ever been stated in any manual I have for the unit or my charging station that I shouldn't leave it on the charger. Archos is laughably bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The battery expansion has recently happened to mine also. I came here just now to see if others had battery problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

eagle1 wrote:

I had no idea about this. I have used mine 90% of the time plugged in.