Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: FAT32 File Corruption
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good Morning, Since receiving my Archos 7 Device I'm getting regular FAT32 file system corrption errors. At which point the recovey mode kicks in. This does not help much as following re-boot It then goes again into a continual cycle of rebooting to recovery mode. I can only ever resolve the situation by removing the battery.

This to say the least has resulting in the Archos 7 being unusable, since every time I load my music, video's and set up my e-mail account, what happens, yes you guessed it, another FAT32 corruption message, this wipes the drive and I have to start all over again, I do not know what I'm actually doing to "corrput" the FAT32 system. Has anyone any idea's [faulty HDD ?]....Please, or should I simple return the device [for a full refund]

Regards

:cry: Paul :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, I own an A5, and the first time I started using it I notice the same annoyance, the only solution is doing a full format of the hdd using the recovery menu, first to get to the recovery menu make sure that your unit is fully shutdown, then press volume up or + and press the power switch until the boot logo change to a whit screen with a few sentences an a blue highlight, thats the recovery menu. Before you format the hdd just make a backup of all your folders in it. Connect the unit to your PC using the USB cable it come with then choose the option repair disk in the recovery menu and press the power switch once, it shoul be saying that you can connect to your PC and upload an upgrade firmware, now when your unit is visible and accesible by your PC just copy and paste all the folders you can scope in your A7 to a backup folder in your PC (you must do this if you want to keep all the themes and bakground that came preinstalled with), it may took a while depending in you have a lot of music a video added into, wait until it finish copying. Next step is to press power switch and when the unit restart timely press the volume up to enter the recovery menu again. Now you prepare to download from the Archos website their latest official firmware. Choose the format hdd option at the bottom of the list and press power switch, it should give you a second thought about if you really want to do it, just select yes, it would took a little while, when it's finish it would say that you connect to your PC and put the upgrade firmware in the root of the recently formated A7, just do it like so and after press the power switch. The unit should be upgrading the firmware, when it finish press the power switch once more again and it should reboot, just enter the recovery menu and chose repair disk, press power and copy and overwrite all of the folders you have backuped before hand into your A7. That should do the trick. Last advice, never format or scandisk the hdd of your archos unit with the utilities included in any version of Microsoft Windows, because this gonna spoil your unit. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm wondering if you figured this out. I have a similar issue on my Archos 7 that is newly purchased. I loaded almost 40g of mp3 files that play fine on every other thing I have including a A5 android and my ipod classic. I just wiped the drive and reformatted, spent an hour copying files. Then I stopped and did an arclib update. Next I copied photo's and some movies. Stopped and did the update. Rebooted. FAT Corruption. So I stopped and powered the thing off. Waited a slow 30 second count. Powered it up and got this blue screen first and then the regular OS menu's. Now I'm letting it play my mp3s and see when/if it claims a file is corrupt and just stops and requires a reboot.

This thing has the ability to be a very nice player and companion on long international flights but the stability is sorely lacking. I love the screen real estate. I also kinda get the message that Archos really is not interested in releasing a new firmware update for the older generation systems. Its too bad that the system has such great physical attributes but suffers from a firmware or OS level which pretty much precludes stable use for me.

Any luck with trying anything else to fix this vexing problem?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mpmilestogo wrote:
I'm wondering if you figured this out. I have a similar issue on my Archos 7 that is newly purchased. I loaded almost 40g of mp3 files that play fine on every other thing I have including a A5 android and my ipod classic. I just wiped the drive and reformatted, spent an hour copying files. Then I stopped and did an arclib update. Next I copied photo's and some movies. Stopped and did the update. Rebooted. FAT Corruption. So I stopped and powered the thing off. Waited a slow 30 second count. Powered it up and got this blue screen first and then the regular OS menu's. Now I'm letting it play my mp3s and see when/if it claims a file is corrupt and just stops and requires a reboot.

This thing has the ability to be a very nice player and companion on long international flights but the stability is sorely lacking. I love the screen real estate. I also kinda get the message that Archos really is not interested in releasing a new firmware update for the older generation systems. Its too bad that the system has such great physical attributes but suffers from a firmware or OS level which pretty much precludes stable use for me.

Any luck with trying anything else to fix this vexing problem?

It sounds like a faulty HDD, (Considering you used you Archos to wipe the drive) I'd exchange it.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, I contacted Archos about the continual FAT32 issue, they said return the device to the re-seller. Unfortunatly the re-seller no longer stoks the Archos 7 [I wonder why] but is willing to refund the payment. Which is slightly unfortunate since I have bound a docking station, some add-in features plus a leather wallet for it. Now I find to buy a new one will actually cost me more than I originally Paid for this one !!

Regards

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If the device still boots then attach it via USB to your Windows box and run the Windows utility to repair the drive.
I've had to do this if I just yank the plug out of the computer when loading media (Bad Idea).
What you need to do is right click on the system tray to disconnect attached devices and specify the Archose Drive to shut down and disconnect.