Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I have some questions about the parental control features of the Archos 7. My 10 year old son saved his money to purchase an Archos. We researched it, saw that it had parental controls, and thought it would be okay for him to get. I tried putting it in the "child" mode, but that doesn't seem to actually do anything. I read the section in the manual about the parental controls, but it really wasn't any help. It said that files marked as "adult" would be restricted, but it didn't say HOW to mark them adult and doesn't seem to work on the internet or media club. I am very techno challenged, so I really have no idea how to fix this problem. I did read a thread on here somewhere about a "parental control warning", but that didn't answer any of my questions and seemed to get ugly. I promised my son I would do everything I could to try and put some form of regulation on there, otherwise it will have to go back.

Is there any software we can add that will filter the content when on the web or in the media club? I read something about software for the Linux operating system?? dansguardian?? Is it possible to download a completely different operating system to make it more like our computer? I really don't have a clue, I've just been googling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

From what I understand using the adult mode vs child mode is that when in adult mode you can view the picture/music/video files marked as adult. If you want to mark a file as adult: While the file in question is highlighted you select the menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen, select File Management, Permissions and change the Adult setting for the file/folder to adult....when you do this means that while only in adult mode will that file(s)/Folder(s) show up...it will not detect adult content and mark it for you and this has nothing to do with the internet content only files on the archos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Robbfamily7 wrote:
Hello,

I have some questions about the parental control features of the Archos 7. My 10 year old son saved his money to purchase an Archos. We researched it, saw that it had parental controls, and thought it would be okay for him to get. I tried putting it in the "child" mode, but that doesn't seem to actually do anything. I read the section in the manual about the parental controls, but it really wasn't any help. It said that files marked as "adult" would be restricted, but it didn't say HOW to mark them adult and doesn't seem to work on the internet or media club. I am very techno challenged, so I really have no idea how to fix this problem. I did read a thread on here somewhere about a "parental control warning", but that didn't answer any of my questions and seemed to get ugly. I promised my son I would do everything I could to try and put some form of regulation on there, otherwise it will have to go back.

Is there any software we can add that will filter the content when on the web or in the media club? I read something about software for the Linux operating system?? dansguardian?? Is it possible to download a completely different operating system to make it more like our computer? I really don't have a clue, I've just been googling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you so much.

Parental control only work for files that are on the units hard drive, when in parent mode they can be marked as "adult" and will then now show up in child mode. Parental control does not filter access to the internet and this cannot be added through an add-on software.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's another oversight on Archos part. Though, you could try to implement a content blocker on your router, (I haven't tried, so I can't help you with that.) however it would only be effective if your son only had access to your own WiFi network.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

LuciferTengu wrote:
It's another oversight on Archos part. Though, you could try to implement a content blocker on your router, (I haven't tried, so I can't help you with that.) however it would only be effective if your son only had access to your own WiFi network.

oversight or not, I have checked the manual and there is no indication that the parental control feature would block or filter internet access. It clearly states that only marked files will be hidden in child mode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Lucifer-

He does only have access to our wifi network. Does anyone know how to impliment the content blocker on our router? How about deleting the media club and internet tabs altogether? Anyone now how to do that? Either of those would work, although he would prefer to keep his internet access obviously. But he does have a laptop he can use.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Robbfamily7 wrote:
Lucifer-

He does only have access to our wifi network. Does anyone know how to impliment the content blocker on our router? How about deleting the media club and internet tabs altogether? Anyone now how to do that? Either of those would work, although he would prefer to keep his internet access obviously. But he does have a laptop he can use.

Thanks so much!

sorry, you cannot delete the media club and internet tabs, the firmware does not allow for such customization.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

on your wifi router..go into the security settings and use wpa with mac address and don't put the mac address from the archos into it...only put the mac addresses of the computers that you want to have access to the router...that will stop the archos from getting to the router at all..but this will stop the UPnP for the archos also and if you want any other computers/devices to have access to the router you will have to add their mac address...now granted that will only stop him from getting to the internet at your house or at least where ever your router is...that will not stop the archos from getting on the internet with a different router...say at mcyds or at a friends house

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

for parental control I like to use ActyMac DutyWatch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

troll wrote:
for parental control I like to use ActyMac DutyWatch

And just how are you supposed to install this on an Archos?
Quote:
ActyMac DutyWatch runs in stealth mode, completely undetectable so it wonÔÇÖt interfere with how a person works on the computer. It is easy to install and requires no additional hardware. DutyWatch takes no special training to use and is compatible on both Intel and PowerPC based Mac computers with OS X.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You can use ProteMac KeyBag. KeyBag creates a digital record of instant message chats, sites visited, notes written, and amount of time spent on the computer.
http://www.protemac.com/keybag/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nessy wrote:
You can use ProteMac KeyBag. KeyBag creates a digital record of instant message chats, sites visited, notes written, and amount of time spent on the computer.
http://www.protemac.com/keybag/

that would not work.

The only thing I can see working is a router based content blocker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do you have kids? Do you have a computer or a phone? If you have both, I sure your heart will be full of trouble. Because when your kids are using a PC, you're probably worried about parental software and how much time they spend, and what kind of games they're playing. Check our site for more details.