Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys,

Recently I bought this device for my GF, being sure she can watch her favorite clips on your tube. Turns out it is not possible because of some nonsense "blame Adobe" crap. I don't see why my laptop can play these videos (the same opera), and this "Internet Tablet" can't. I have to say that I'm very frustrated. And I pray God that shop assistants would take this device back, cause for this price I could have almost bought a netbook.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Both Opera. But one is Opera for laptop, the other one is for Mobile.
They're absolutely different.

Adobe haven't released flash 10 for mobile yet, so, don't blame Archos about flash.

But.

You CAN play videos on youtube. Go to the link, then click on something on the upper right corner of the video, which is "open in new window" . You will be able to watch the video.

As far as I know, the Archos 5/7 cannot play youtube HQ or youtube HD. Another way to say, it doesn't show "HD" or "HQ" for you to click on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hurrycanger wrote:
You CAN play videos on youtube. Go to the link, then click on something on the upper right corner of the video, which is "open in new window" . You will be able to watch the video.

Thanks hurrycanger. That alleviates the problem a bit. But there are many other sites where this "open in new window" button don't exist. Any workaround for this case?

You know what? The fact that the vid doesn't play normally, and magically opens fine in new window makes me think Archos is playing games with their customers. Can anyone explain why the same video doesn't play in regular window? Might be that Archos disabled this feature on purpose, but forgot about this "new window" feature of YouTube? Who knows )

hurrycanger wrote:
As far as I know, the Archos 5/7 cannot play youtube HQ or youtube HD. Another way to say, it doesn't show "HD" or "HQ" for you to click on.

That's another interesting issue to investigate. Does this mean Archos meddle with the HTML content of web pages? Why on earth wouldn't they respect their customers?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:01 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

vanyatka wrote:
You know what? The fact that the vid doesn't play normally, and magically opens fine in new window makes me think Archos is playing games with their customers. Can anyone explain why the same video doesn't play in regular window? Might be that Archos disabled this feature on purpose, but forgot about this "new window" feature of YouTube? Who knows )

hurrycanger wrote:

That's another interesting issue to investigate. Does this mean Archos meddle with the HTML content of web pages? Why on earth wouldn't they respect their customers?

There are no games being played, we would love you to be able to play all videos on the internet. But, for youtube and many other video sites our hands are bound at the moment. Youtube decided to switch to Flash10 for its Flash player and this Flash 10 is not available for any platform other than X86 at the moment. Adobe has promised Flash 10 for ARM since a long time and at the moment it is said to be there in Q1 2010...

Why it still plays when you do "open in new window" I cannot say, we will analyze that.

There is another way to watch youtube videos which is via http://www.youtube.com/xl
this "xl" website has been done for e.g. internet enabled TVs and therefore still uses an older and compatible Flash version.

Also we do not meddle with the content of the webpage at all, but you have to understand that at the moment the full youtube experience can only be had on x86 PC and Flash 10. As said we would love to change that...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

"There is another way to watch youtube videos which is via http://www.youtube.com/xl"

This site seems nice. Thanks a lot. I'll test it later. Now time for school...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nz wrote:
Why it still plays when you do "open in new window" I cannot say, we will analyze that.

There is another way to watch youtube videos which is via http://www.youtube.com/xl
this "xl" website has been done for e.g. internet enabled TVs and therefore still uses an older and compatible Flash version.

Thanks for chiming in here. I think this has something to do with Youtube maybe running fullscreen or "open in new window" in Flash 9 still. Or maybe 'open in new window" somehow accesses the "xl" website?

I'm glad you guys at Archos are still working on this and awaiting Adobe to release Flash 10 for mobile. I hope we get another f/w release when they do. Many of us will be anxiously awaiting it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For future reference, "flash" (as in .flv) is only a container (file extension) that associates with the Adobe player. When the IMT7 was released, VP6 was the dominant codec of Youtube, now H.264 is dominant. It's the .flv files with H.264 inside that cannot play, the ones with VP6 WILL.

Adobe has a new extension for H.264 (.fv4), but it takes a long time for web designers to adopt, so that's why all the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yeah this sux... looks like they could fix this mess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

wait... and pray...
First I need Adobe to release flash 10 for mobile XD
Hurry up, Adobe. I want to play the flash 10 flash games on the go XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got to agree with you. The Archos lacks alot. Had mine for about 6 months now. Makes a good paper weight. If I want to do something on the internet it always turns out to be a pain. Most of the time it will just lock up other times the "f9" comes up. A friend of mine got one of those Acer 10" laptop for right around the same money. Great little laptop with nice screen, makes me wonder why I got the Archos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@vanyatka, why dont you try installing market4archos.zip in your archos 7, then from your archos device go to download and install it . It did work for my archos 5, now I can freely see youtube videos.

vanyatka wrote:
Hey guys,

Recently I bought this device for my GF, being sure she can watch her favorite clips on your tube. Turns out it is not possible because of some nonsense "blame Adobe" crap. I don't see why my laptop can play these videos (the same opera), and this "Internet Tablet" can't. I have to say that I'm very frustrated. And I pray God that shop assistants would take this device back, cause for this price I could have almost bought a netbook.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Folks I have spoken to Archos about flash 10 and this was the reply....

Thank you for your email,

Sorry you feel ripped off and that you have not been supported in any way since you purchased your ARCHOS 7, unfortunately there will be no further updates for your product and no flash 10, but would like to mention that this is due to Adobe who did not develop Flash 10 for Android products (ARCHOS cannot develop Flash 10 support itself as Flash is Adobe property).
So, for now, no Flash 10 planned on our products.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

NB: Please reply to this mail keeping all previous correspondence.

Kind regards

Mary Budden

ARCHOS (UK) Ltd
Office: +44 (0) 2380 711 778
Fax: +44 (0) 2380 839 259
http://www.archos.com

So there you have it...another one for Ebay..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

washburn wrote:

Sorry you feel ripped off and that you have not been supported in any way since you purchased your ARCHOS 7, unfortunately there will be no further updates for your product and no flash 10, but would like to mention that this is due to Adobe who did not develop Flash 10 for Android products (ARCHOS cannot develop Flash 10 support itself as Flash is Adobe property).

Kind regards

Mary Budden

ARCHOS (UK) Ltd

Is this really a response to a question about the Archos 7 IMT from Archos themselves? The A7 IMT does not run Android - never has, never will (unless some community produced builld cuts the mustard). The line about there being no further updates however suggests they are referring to the A7 IMT and NOT the A7 Home Tablet which does run Android and WILL be getting more Archos sourced updates (presumably).

No surprise that the confusion persists, even within Archos. What chance a poor consumer?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree, I did email the woman back and confirm my archos 7 is not android but no reply. I did also say that I believe they should post this information on thier web site, no surprises that they havent.

The email is genuine, and with a lot of high tech gadgets you get all sorts of promises to get you to buy it but after that nothing.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos could have provided us with H.264 playback via a plugin, but they chose to move on instead.

Hmmm, that e-mail response is stupid. Archos doesn't own Microsoft, but they can play WMV!

Post subject: Archos Internet 5.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am ready to take Archos to court for false and deceptive advertising. Besides they lied about Adobe.The Archos Internet 5 is not the "ultimate internet device" as they claim. It is an expensive piece of trash and the people at archos should be ashamed to work in a company like that. Lying bunch of baccalanian propensities and themorlogical inexactitudes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hurrycanger wrote:
Both Opera. But one is Opera for laptop, the other one is for Mobile.
They're absolutely different.

Adobe haven't released flash 10 for mobile yet, so, don't blame Archos about flash.

But.

thats how i do it :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

washburn wrote:

Kind regards

Mary Budden

ARCHOS (UK) Ltd

I was disgusted when I saw this one on the web site. They drop support very quickly. However, there was an update produced on 13th Sept, didn't fix much though.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

finally after the last update youtube works!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is now 2011 almost 2012 and Archos 7 internet still will not run youTube - I will not even fully load the page!! And this was there main selling point!! FRAUD!!