Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos 7 WiFi connection
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Having just purchased a Ar 7, I am trying to get internet connection set up. I get as far as Archos picking up my Netgear connection, I enter the WPA Key, press connect and that is it, it goes no further just keeps searching. There is a strong signal from router. I have read that this setup can be a prob. Hope someone can help. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just wanted to let you know that your not alone....I got my Archos 5 yesterday and am having exactly the same problem......
Hopefully some very kind person will let both of us know what we are doing wrong (fingers crossed)
Belinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Belinda
Sorry to hear your having same problem. I have been onto Archos they are very unhelpful as no doubt you have found. I am not a complete computer dunce and have spent at least 8 solid hours trying to fix this problem. Like I said I get a WiFi signal and thats as far as I can go. I think so many people have had this problem that someone will be kind enough to help.
Good luck
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi there
ive just recently set up my 7
didnt have any probs
searched found router put in my wpa
just as you both have
and it logged on right away
all i can say is keep on trying
is your wpa case sensetive ie caps or lower case
best of luck hope you suss it out soon
keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I take it you two that are having problems have other devices working off the wireless, correct? If so, then disregard this post. If not, then there might be a problem with your router allowing internet access or any type of access to your network. Play around with your router, if there is a built in firewall, that may be causing the problem.

Good luck with figuring it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Keith
Thanks for your reply. I have decided to give a try to manual setup. I have got all the setting for router only thing i don't know is what is Proxy?
Thanks Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To get rid of the idea that the router might be stopping you...just as a temp fix....take the security off the router, opening it up so all you have to do is click on the router to connect. If it works at that level then you can beef up the security settings on the router and change the archos settings accordingly. If you are in area where you wouldn't trust the "open" router idea, then just drop it down to a WEP and see if that works. If it is a new router try using a laptop to connect to your home network. If you get a connection with another device then it's at the archos side. I'm using a Linksys 54G, bought it when i got the archos 7, and I didnt' have any problems setting it up. I have also connected my archos at my work place. I at home I use WPA and at work it is a WEP with MAC address varification. Hope you figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just had this issue a week ago and spent way to much time trying to figure it out. Archos support was useless!!!
Follow these steps and you should get logged on:
1. Go to Tools, Setting, Connectivity and reset wifi configuration
2.Go to internet, connection, find your internet connection and click it. The next screen will show "WPA key" You want this to be empty (in other words no password there). If there is a password go to advance settings and at the bottom of the screen hit "delete current configuration"'
3. Then go back to the home screen and back into internet, connection, and choose your internet access. Once there the wpa key should be empty.
4. Now hit advance settings and fill out "IP address, netwmask, gateway and DNS server. Proxy is not necessary. Port on mine was a default of 8080.
5. Hit the return button once this is filled out and now enter the wpa key and hit connect.
6. if this does not work, try unplugging the power on your router for 10 seconds. On mine I had to do this and now it is working perfectly.

This was a pain to set up, however it now seems to work. By the way it is much easier to get onto the net in a wireless zone. it is only in my house that I went through this grief.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you Jones, very helpful. Up and running.
Your a star! You could get a job on Archos support team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bodger wrote:
Your a star! You could get a job on Archos support team.

They wouldn't take him, he's too helpful :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Glad to hear it worked. The wifi on this unit and my 604wifi can be a bit challenging.