Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just got it today. I plugged it in to start charging it. After a few hours I turned it on to start copying music. After about 50 gigs of music and 20 gigs of movies I heard a "click". I looked over to the archos and then a "copy failed" message popped up my PC. No big deal, right? I unplugged the archos and plugged it back in. Nothing.
I hit the power button. Nothing.
At this point I started to panic. I hit the reset button.
Nothing.
If I plug it in the charge light comes on. Apart from that, nothing.
It's warm, but not hot. Hopefully after it cools down it will come back on. Total bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OMG!! I can't believe our first victim arrived so quickly. I seriously hope you are one of the few victims in the future with a bad unit. Can you get an exchange?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cryptyk wrote:
I just got it today. I plugged it in to start charging it. After a few hours I turned it on to start copying music. After about 50 gigs of music and 20 gigs of movies I heard a "click". I looked over to the archos and then a "copy failed" message popped up my PC. No big deal, right? I unplugged the archos and plugged it back in. Nothing.
I hit the power button. Nothing.
At this point I started to panic. I hit the reset button.
Nothing.
If I plug it in the charge light comes on. Apart from that, nothing.
It's warm, but not hot. Hopefully after it cools down it will come back on. Total bummer.

*The funeral song plays in the background.*

Today was great day. We stand here today over this casket to say to our beloved archos that you have not failed us. We know you will return and when you do you will be more reliable. For all the other archos out there let this be a warning that your time is short in this world, make yourself useful to the owners.

So sorry about your lost.

Cryptyk Archos 9*11*08 - 9*11-08.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

LOL. (Sorry for laughing in a funeral)

I want to say may the Archos 5 rest in peace, but it won't because Archos will just dissect it and do organ transplants.

I hope that the other Archos 5s out there (Hopefully my future unit too) live a long, sickness free life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:22 am 

You transfered a lot of gigs on what might have been not very much charge. Even though it is hooked up to the USB there may not be enough charge left in it to even start.

The click is not a good thing but clicks can be many things. Leave it on charge for a while to get some juice into it and then try it again. When my 605 runs down a lot I can plug it and and get no response from the unit. I just let it charge for a couple hours and disconnect, than reconnect and it has popped back to life each time. I hope this is the case with yours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Kodiak nailed it.
After it died, I left it plugged in for around an hour. During that entire hour I was hitting the power button, reset button etc. I called tech support and the lady was walking me through different steps. As I was about to ask them to RMA it, I hit the power button ones last time and it turned on.
Apparently I was sucking more juice than it was getting by copying the files over.

Lesson: Even once your Archos is fully charged, do your file transfers in small (20-30 gig) groups to avoid draining the thing. don't just dump 200 gigs on it in one shot.

Sorry for the false alarm =)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Kodiak is right. The HDD will use much more than the 500MA a standard USB socket can provide. The unit will shut itself down to prevent a deep discharge on the battery. My 404 gone through this as well.

Just do a full charge then copy loads of stuff on it. Just don't copy over 150GB of stuff at once (even at full charge). In my estimate, a full battery should last at least 2 hours when HDD is running at max, we can stretch that to 3 hours with the USB charge. I guess don't go over 3 hours.

You are lucky that after some charge, your unit turned back on. When my 404's battery really depleted, the unit would turn on, but it will shut down before the menu appears, I plugged my USB in, and I had to keep turning it on about 50 times for the battery to be charged enough to last the 17 second boot (and 3 seconds to turn off screen) until it boots and turn off the screen to let it charge. I swear that was a lesson LEARNED.

BTW, can you change the title?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cryptyk wrote:
Kodiak nailed it.
After it died, I left it plugged in for around an hour. During that entire hour I was hitting the power button, reset button etc. I called tech support and the lady was walking me through different steps. As I was about to ask them to RMA it, I hit the power button ones last time and it turned on.
Apparently I was sucking more juice than it was getting by copying the files over.

Lesson: Even once your Archos is fully charged, do your file transfers in small (20-30 gig) groups to avoid draining the thing. don't just dump 200 gigs on it in one shot.

Sorry for the false alarm =)
I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. Not being able to transfer all of your files at once because even when Archos's only included method of charging your battery (USB) can't even power the thing long enough to complete the transfer when it's on a fully charged battery. What will their solution probably be? To purchase an accessory so you can transfer all of your files to it without it dying on you?

Oh well... I'm happy that you were able to figure out what had happened to your new toy. You must have felt scared to see that your 5 wouldn't turn on, huh? I know I wouldn't have been happy because of the hassle of having to RMA, shipping, and waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I work at an research and development part of a company producing somewhat archos like products (for deaf and blind, but still). We have special charging circuits which prevent the product from deep discharge of the batteries. This is a pretty standard procedure, so i guess it's very hard to deep discharge the Archos. Still you chould be aware that IF you discharge your archos the battery (Lithium Polymer) will decrease, and if you fully decrease your battery it can do all kinds of things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 am 

I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. Not being able to transfer all of your files at once because even when Archos's only included method of charging your battery (USB) can't even power the thing long enough to complete the transfer when it's on a fully charged battery.

The thing is though that he said he charged it for a couple hours. Nowhere did he say it was full and through USB 8 hours charge is more like it. Transferring data can chew up some power so watching the amount of data being transfered at one shot is not a bad idea. For what its worth though running the battery till the unit shuts off (cycling) for a couple times at the beginning will help calibrate the meter and stretch out the battery to help it reach its full capacity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Presumably if you had the dvr dock then you power it via an external psu that is able to provide enough current to drive it directly rather than it being powered by the battery.

What if you used a split (Y) usb cable that some external USB drives come with (one of the USB plugs is just connected to the power pins) so that it can draw 1A from two USB sockets. Faster charge, able to run the drive continuously?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Magic Man wrote:
Presumably if you had the dvr dock then you power it via an external psu that is able to provide enough current to drive it directly rather than it being powered by the battery.

What if you used a split (Y) usb cable that some external USB drives come with (one of the USB plugs is just connected to the power pins) so that it can draw 1A from two USB sockets. Faster charge, able to run the drive continuously?

A DVR (or a dock) should give you enough charge for the HDD.

No, it won't work because the Archos don't allow more than 500mA going into its USB (single) port.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It should depend on how you are charging.

1) If you are using USB hooked to a computer, you could have a net loss- especially if the battery was not at least charged half way, to act a s a buffer for the charge process.

2) If you are using the USB through DC, the power should be like any device plugged into a wall would.

At least that is how the 605 behaved. See no reason for the 5 to be different in that regard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

all i have to say is:PHEW!!!!
I was cacking myself aafter my one day old 5 died. Came here and all is well. I did my usual not reading the manual. Didn't charge it from new as it had a half full battery. was on the web and it died. Charged it for an hour then, all fine :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a question!?! I just recieved my Archos 5. Ordered it just a few days ago and got it today. I plugged it in and let it charge for about an hour, and it turned on. It configured the internet and then did a firmware update. And then said it had to restart. It shut down and would not restart. It won't even turn on.

Help?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
gkaspr09 wrote:
I have a question!?! I just recieved my Archos 5. Ordered it just a few days ago and got it today. I plugged it in and let it charge for about an hour, and it turned on. It configured the internet and then did a firmware update. And then said it had to restart. It shut down and would not restart. It won't even turn on.

Help?

Plug it in and let it charge until the green charge light starts blinking. At least 8 hours plus, probably.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am on my 3rd Archos 5 in about 5 years after the last two just went wrong. The second will not do anything and the 1st I sent for repair would have cost £70 to even be looked at. Now this one will just turn off if not plugged in to a charger. I love the machines, but they just seem so unreliable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
mikebuk wrote:
I am on my 3rd Archos 5 in about 5 years after the last two just went wrong. The second will not do anything and the 1st I sent for repair would have cost £70 to even be looked at. Now this one will just turn off if not plugged in to a charger. I love the machines, but they just seem so unreliable.

Just replace the battery on the one that turns off when you remove the charger.